Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 2K, Marriott Platinium, Global Entry, Hyatt Diamond
I thought z fares were with copay.http://content.united.com/ual/asset/..._052010_v2.pdf
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:13 am

Hi All,

Thanks for your quick responses.

I thought Z class was upgradable on the united website it says
"More upgradable booking codes. You can now use your miles to upgrade anywhere United flies and from most booking codes, including all paid business classes (even Z). "
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1150,00.html

Or does this not apply?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
you are correct, from the chart its 30K miles (1 way)+co-pay
purchasing the miles is a pricey option, but thats your choice.

I might get flamed for this, and its just my opinion, having flown in both C and F cabins transpac, the F suites are nice, and I am glad Ive experienced it but about the only difference is in F you get a bowl of soup .

If their are 2 of you travelling (and you do say... we) my recommendation is save your money, select a nice upperdeck pair of seats and enjoy

and welcome ^
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The OP's plan will work but I agree with the sentiment that on the new config, F is not worth that much compared to C, especially not $3,000.

And unless there's NF space, there's no guarantee that the upgrade would even clear, meaning the $2,000 you paid for the miles would effectively go to waste!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I watch the SYD-USA routes closely (I am still waiting for C upgrades to clear). Most of this year for dates in /August/September/October, I have seen NF availability, especially during the week. I think you would have a really good chance at clearing .

Oops I was thinking about SWUs and Z fares. Yes Z can be upgraded using co-pay and miles.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, AA G (MM), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, Global Entry, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Noelene

I might get flamed for this, and its just my opinion, having flown in both C and F cabins transpac, the F suites are nice, and I am glad Ive experienced it but about the only difference is in F you get a bowl of soup .

If their are 2 of you travelling (and you do say... we) my recommendation is save your money, select a nice upperdeck pair of seats and enjoy

and welcome ^
I wouldn't necessarily go to the upper deck. Yes, it's quieter -- much more so. Not the cattle car feeling of the main deck. But it's also warmer up there, if you're sensitive to that sort of thing. And apparently the flat beds are a slightly shorter on the upper deck. So keep this in mind.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The OP's plan will work but I agree with the sentiment that on the new config, F is not worth that much compared to C, especially not $3,000.
Agree with that. The difference is negligible and I tend to have higher expectations than in C, which can lead to disappointment

Speaking of upgrading Z fares, domestic flights qualify for UDU (except p.s., of course), but you still can't use CR-1s to confirm the upgrade in advance.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 2K, Marriott Platinium, Global Entry, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Noelene

and welcome ^
I too wouldn't upgrade not worth the extra expense. I don't like the upper deck but I am taller and there is a big difference imo. I would chose row 8 or 6 on the sides but those are the seats I like the best. Don't chose rows 9-10 in the lower deck. It is loud from the fa's and you have to deal with all of the people walking by hitting you with their carry on's.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:06 am

Thanks for all your help.

Good to know its possible. The return fare in first is $18000 per person so $3000 to upgrade is a quite a bit cheaper then paying the whole fare.

Will have to investigate seats and comfort - thanks for the advice c vs f. I am traveling with my elderly grandmother so comfort is important. Currently have 14A & B SYD-SFO and SFO-SYD 14 K & J.

If we do decide to buy and upgrade can I request the upgrade and buy points over the phone all at once??

Also what does "NF" as in "NF Space" stand for?

Brilliant help guys - thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by chrisbris
Thanks for all your help.

Good to know its possible. The return fare in first is $18000 per person so $3000 to upgrade is a quite a bit cheaper then paying the whole fare.

Will have to investigate seats and comfort - thanks for the advice c vs f. I am traveling with my elderly grandmother so comfort is important. Currently have 14A & B SYD-SFO and SFO-SYD 14 K & J.

If we do decide to buy and upgrade can I request the upgrade and buy points over the phone all at once??

Also what does "NF" as in "NF Space" stand for?

Brilliant help guys - thanks!
Unlike many of the previous posters, I think UA F is absolutely worth the miles and co-pay on the long trans-pacs. I may have missed your math, though: you do understand that it's 30,000 miles + $500 co-pay each way on each ticket, no? So, altogether, 120,000 miles + $2000 added cash.

The "N" appears to be an arbitrary alpha designator for UA upgrade inventory: NF is always business/coach to first; NC, on three-class aircraft, is economy to business. "X" as the lead alpha = reward inventory.

As someone else pointed out, NF inventory is often available between SFO and SYD, even when XF, XC, and NC inventory isn't. You can check availability either on the UA site (if you can log in as an elite), or ExpertFlyer, if you're a subscriber.

And I don't see why you couldn't buy miles, make the booking, have it ticketed, and then upgrade, all on the same call. Just plan on a long time on the 'fone with the UA agent..........................
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Upstairs?

Hi Chrisbis
We love the upstairs cabin..sort of like a private plane, but I notice you say "your elderly grandmother". Seats 14 are upstairs, and the stairway is steep and narrow, only emergency exit is down the stairs. She may be more comfortable on the main deck, whether in first or business. Also check location/size lavatories: they are TINY upstairs; I dont know about First.

Have fun!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by nigos
Z class fares are not upgradable with miles or SWU certs.
Wrong, and ....
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
As has already been pointed out, Z is non-upgradeable.
wrong, too.

Z fares are upgradeable.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Wrong, and ....wrong, too.

Z fares are upgradeable.
But sadly only with miles + copay or UDU (most domestic flights). SWUs/CR-1s can't be used. On 777 flights that is still a good deal, not so much on 747/767 flights. Op-ups do happen quite a bit, though, since Z puts you into paid business.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Bitterroot

And I don't see why you couldn't buy miles, make the booking, have it ticketed, and then upgrade, all on the same call. Just plan on a long time on the 'fone with the UA agent..........................
Thanks Bitterroot - do you think I would be best best calling the sales number or the mileage plus number?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I am not really sure you will be able to do that all in 1 phone call, especially with no status, and , someone can probably chime in, and say it can be done, but I have never heard of miles being purchased over the phone, and immediately posting

It might also be a good idea to contact UA regarding a status match/challenge to your one world status, so if you do go the purchase miles route, you can optimize RDM earned and recoup some

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.