Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2007, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by dll
I gave up - I called United and they were perplexed. The 1K agent put me on hold and came back and said "it looks like even though the inventory is there, the fare is not eligible for transatlantic business class unless you route through London, but we no longer serve Paris-London since BMI pulled the route. You could route CDG-FRA/MUC-LHR-SFO, otherwise you would need to purchase a D fare."

I've booked the ticket with AA/Iberia at some inconvenience - SFO-JFK-MAD-FCO outbound and Paris/Orly-MAD-ORD-SFO on the return, although the fare was fantastic: 2625 plus taxes, all confirmed in F/J. United wanted 3400 for similar SFO-FRA-FCO/CDG-FRA-SFO and would not confirm the C class seats. Bah.
Very Odd. I don't see any rule or routing restrictions requiring travel via LON on ZSPECE fares.
Old May 28, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by dll
I gave up - I called United and they were perplexed. The 1K agent put me on hold and came back and said "it looks like even though the inventory is there, the fare is not eligible for transatlantic business class unless you route through London, but we no longer serve Paris-London since BMI pulled the route. You could route CDG-FRA/MUC-LHR-SFO, otherwise you would need to purchase a D fare."

I've booked the ticket with AA/Iberia at some inconvenience - SFO-JFK-MAD-FCO outbound and Paris/Orly-MAD-ORD-SFO on the return, although the fare was fantastic: 2625 plus taxes, all confirmed in F/J. United wanted 3400 for similar SFO-FRA-FCO/CDG-FRA-SFO and would not confirm the C class seats. Bah.
I wonder how many confirmed Y>C upgraders are on the flight that the OP wanted. It's a shame that UA denies paid discounted C travel on a flight that will probably have several people upgrading to C from Y with SWU's.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Chances of Upgrade C to F on Z Fare?

Next weekend, going IAD-LAX, I'm taking the 777 in confirmed C on a Z fare and have a couple questions.

1. Do domestic three-class flights ever offer buy-ups at check0in through Mr. Chicken or on dot-bomb? I've read about it for Int'l, but wasn't sure about domestic.

2. What's the best strategy for maximizing my chances? Should I check in online or wait for the airport, and how far in advance?
Thanks in advance for the input.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:54 pm

[QUOTE=shinbal;7913794]Next weekend, going IAD-LAX, I'm taking the 777 in confirmed C on a Z fare and have a couple questions.

1. Do domestic three-class flights ever offer buy-ups at check0in through Mr. Chicken or on dot-bomb? I've read about it for Int'l, but wasn't sure about domestic.

I have travelled both international and domestic on a Z fare and on a few occasions have been offered a buy up to F - so it does happen .
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:03 pm

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shinbal
Next weekend, going IAD-LAX, I'm taking the 777 in confirmed C on a Z fare and have a couple questions.

2. What's the best strategy for maximizing my chances? Should I check in online or wait for the airport, and how far in advance?
Thanks in advance for the input.

I too have been offered buy up's Z - F.

Every time it's happened, it's happened at the airport at self check-in.

Actually I've been offered buy up by Mr. Chicken on 2 out of 5 Z's in the past year, which I think is a pretty great ratio.

Lihue1k
Old Jul 4, 2007, 12:35 am

Have been trying to book C BOS-GRU on .bomb. No matter how I do it, I get C fares but only Y seating on the international legs (but A getting to the ORD C=4/IAD C=2 gateway). I know that I have to call, but this is just frustrating.

Last edited by #10; Jul 4, 2007 at 12:41 am
Old Jul 4, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dll

That's a pretty good fare..

One thing I learned when booking my travels this summer is that .bomb frequently has no clue ... to do. I went through Orbitz.com and am confirmed Z/C for each intl segment and in F on the other segments.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:20 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by dll

Great job UA, way to lose another premium customer!
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dll
I've booked the ticket with AA/Iberia
Good. UA deserves what they got: nada.

I would now send a copy of your AA/IB receipt to UA management with a letter explaining why they lost your premium fare.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:50 pm

SWU from UAL Z Fare?

Hi All,

I tried to search but could not find what I was looking for. Can someone tell me if a SWU is usable on a Z fare to F at booking? Also, if it is, what class code does that book in to? XF?

Thanks,

J.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:53 pm

AFAIK, Z fares aren't upgradeable with SWU's
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by jgoodm
Hi All,

I tried to search but could not find what I was looking for. Can someone tell me if a SWU is usable on a Z fare to F at booking? Also, if it is, what class code does that book in to? XF?

Thanks,

J.
http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,50027,00.html

# Upgradeable Booking Classes fares: This upgrade may be used on United Business booking classes (C, D) and United Economy booking classes (Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, K, L) for travel in Region 1. This upgrade may be used on United Business booking classes (C, D) and United Economy booking classes fares (Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q, V, W) for travel in Region 2.
Z != C and Z != D. So, no.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Nope - Z fares arent upgradable either at booking or at the gate (except by mistake)
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:56 pm

Thats what I thought but I wanted to double check.

If that is the case... Why would someone want to trade a SWU for miles? Only way to get F free? Only way to get a free E ticket?

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:58 pm

only way to get to F would be a buy up or an op-up i'd imagine. i've only had the latter happen to me though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.