Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Random_Flyer
Doesn't the confirmed flight have to be within 4 hours of the original?
No, you can confirm a change on the same day anytime for $25 but only within four hours of the flight time for the new flight. It helps when you are going home early - i.e. if you have an afternoon flight you can confirm a much earlier flight that might even be greater than four hours earlier than your original reservation. However to avoid the $100 fee you must wait until it is no more than 4 hours from the scheduled departure for the new flight.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by nigos
No, you can confirm a change on the same day anytime for $25 but only within four hours of the flight time for the new flight. It helps when you are going home early - i.e. if you have an afternoon flight you can confirm a much earlier flight that might even be greater than four hours earlier than your original reservation. However to avoid the $100 fee you must wait until it is no more than 4 hours from the scheduled departure for the new flight.
Random_Flyer was reacting to fumitani, who was ticketed to go out on an early (7AM) flight on Friday morning, but wanted to see about going on a red-eye Thursday. Unless that red-eye was scheduled to go out after 12MN, which would actually be a Friday flight, not a Thursday one, I like Random_Flyer don't think it (going the day before, though might only be 8 hours in advance of scheduled flight) can be done without payment of the $100 fee.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I just did this yesterday SMF-ORD. With load factors the way they are, it was worth the $25 because being confirmed I was able to snare an exit row seat (11E on a 319, so almost as good as an aisle) although I had wait to go to the airport to ask for it as seating was already under airport control.

I would have made the flight if I had tried regular standby, but I probably would have gotten a regular E+ middle instead.

The "seating is already under airport control" thing, however, is what is likely to make me not use this option very often.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I just did this yesterday SMF-ORD. With load factors the way they are, it was worth the $25 because being confirmed I was able to snare an exit row seat (11E on a 319, so almost as good as an aisle) although I had wait to go to the airport to ask for it as seating was already under airport control.

I would have made the flight if I had tried regular standby, but I probably would have gotten a regular E+ middle instead.

The "seating is already under airport control" thing, however, is what is likely to make me not use this option very often.
I agree with you. But you can also do the confirmed change at the airport, in which case they will usually be able to give a seat on the spot. If the new flight is only an hour or so earlier than my confirmed flight, I will go to the airport and see what the deal is on seating before I pay the $25. Of course if you are trying for a much earlier flight or a later flight, it's much better to call and confirm your space on the flight even though you don't get a seat assingment until you show up. You should not have to wait until shortly before flight time; you should be able to get a seat assignment whenever you show up at the airport.

Charles
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Question Multiple segments for one $25 fee

Originally Posted by Phoenician Aviator
Does one fee cover multiple segments?
Yes. However, you must be able to confirm all segments at the same time.
Has this policy changed recently?

I called in to UA Reservations to get a $25 confirmed standby on an earlier JFK-LAX-SJC flight on Tuesday morning. The reservations agent confirmed that space was available on the 7 a.m. from JFK, and the 12:30 p.m. from LAX. I gave him my credit card, and he said the charge was $25.

When I got to JFK, firstly, I couldn't use EZChicken (said I needed to see a representative - I've been seeing this increasingly in my more recent series of flights).

The JFK check-in agent took my ID, then disappeared for about 8 minutes, and finally came back and said "I can't check you all the way through because the computer is telling me you need to pay $25 for the segment from LAX-SJC".

I was incredulous.. "you have to pay $25 per segment"? Unfortunately, I didn't have Flyertalk at my side to convince her otherwise, so I told her I'd just take my chances once I got to LAX.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, being asked to pay $25 per segment for confirmed standby?

Last edited by FruJu; Oct 27, 2006 at 9:32 pm Reason: Discovered $43 was my wife charging something on the same credit card
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by FruJu
I was incredulous.. "you have to pay $25 per segment"? Unfortunately, I didn't have Flyertalk at my side to convince her otherwise, so I told her I'd just take my chances once I got to LAX.

To add insult to injury, when I check my Visa bill online, I see that I've been charged $43 that day for the confirmed upgrade ($43?? where does that come from?)...
Was it your intention to use a CR1, 500-milers or miles for the upgrade rather than buy it? If not, how did you expect to get the upgrade? If you never instructed them to charge your credit card for an upgrade, where/when did they get the information to do it, at the same time you paid $25 for the confirmed standby JFK-LAX? Did they add $43 to the $25, making it a total of $68 in additional charges? And what would $43 cover, an upgrade LAX-SJC?

I can't answer your question about whether $25 should have covered all the segments (I would have expected it to). It is the $43 charge, though, that piques my curiosity.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Originally Posted by itsme
Was it your intention to use a CR1, 500-milers or miles for the upgrade rather than buy it?
Sorry, I wrote upgrade when I meant standby.

And mystery got solved re: $43. Charge to my credit card said DFW United Airlines on the same day as my confirmed standby - but turned out it's my wife buying something on her Intl flight from the Duty Free catalog.

I still have the same question about whether the $25 confirmed standby covers the entire itinerary, or whether it's charged on a segment by segment basis.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: all views expressed by me are mine only and do not reflect those of UAL or their partners
Originally Posted by FruJu
Sorry, I wrote upgrade when I meant standby.

And mystery got solved re: $43. Charge to my credit card said DFW United Airlines on the same day as my confirmed standby - but turned out it's my wife buying something on her Intl flight from the Duty Free catalog.

I still have the same question about whether the $25 confirmed standby covers the entire itinerary, or whether it's charged on a segment by segment basis.
Fruji***go back and read post #4 by Rcs85551***scroll to the Terms &Conditions and read item#5***that should answer your question

Rcs85551**great job btw ^
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:47 pm

Can anyone confirm that you can do standby and change the routing, keeping the origin and destination city the same?

I am booked on a ORD-IND-BOS and am trying to do standby for ORD-BOS. Furthermore, the IND-BOS portion is codeshare on a USAirways flight.

I have called United multiple times, and have been told that I wouldn't have any problems. But, I didn't see this in the original FAR/STANDBY post. Please, any help would be appreciated. I am new here!
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hellyea
Can anyone confirm that you can do standby and change the routing, keeping the origin and destination city the same?

I am booked on a ORD-IND-BOS and am trying to do standby for ORD-BOS. Furthermore, the IND-BOS portion is codeshare on a USAirways flight.

I have called United multiple times, and have been told that I wouldn't have any problems. But, I didn't see this in the original FAR/STANDBY post. Please, any help would be appreciated. I am new here!
You'll be lucky if you're allowed to do this. Rules say same routing only.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by thegingerman
You'll be lucky if you're allowed to do this. Rules say same routing only.
I think the rules posted are specifically for the $25 deal. If you try to do free standby, the origin and destination need to be the same. Here is the rules (see bolded section):

Code:
       STANDBY FOR U.S. 50 STATES / SJU/STT / CANADA            
     THIS INCLUDES OA CODE SHARE THAT IS UA OPERATED*           
          `INTERNATIONAL: STANDBY NOT PERMITTED)                

OVERVIEW...................................>S*R.A;            
  REFUNDABLE FARES...........................>S*R.B;            
  NON-REFUNDABLE FARES.......................>S*R.C;            
  MISSED TRIP PROVISION......................>S*R.D;            

`*UA OPERATED IS ANY FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA...                 
    WHETHER MARKETED BY UA OR BY ANOTHER CARRIER)               

OVERVIEW                                                       
 --------                                                       
 -THE SAME DAY STANDBY PROVISIONS APPLY ONLY TO ALTERNATE       
  AIRPORT WITHIN THE SAME MULTI AIRPORT CITY `JFK/LGA  DCA/IAD  
  MDW/ORD). THIS ONLY APPLIES WHEN THE FARE BASIS CODE IS       
  NOT AIRPORT SPECIFIC `E.G. HCAIAD).                           

REFUNDABLE FARES                                               
 ----------------                                               
 -PASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATION AND TICKET MAY       
  STANDBY FOR ANY EARLIER/LATER SAME-DAY FLIGHT`S) FOR NO       
  ADDITIONAL CHARGE INCLUDING MULTI AIRPORT CITY BELOW          
  UNLESS RESTRICTED BY THE AIRPORT PROVISIONS OF THE FARE:      
     CHI      MDW/ORD                                           
     NYC      JFK/LGA                                           
     WAS      DCA/IAD                                           
 -SAME-DAY STANDBY FOR ANY FLIGHT IS PERMITTED..INCLUDING       
  FLIGHT-SPECIFIC FARES AND CONNECTIONS STANDING BY FOR         
  NON-STOP FLIGHT ..AS LONG AS ORIGIN/DESTINATION AIRPORTS      
  REMAIN THE SAME `O/D INCLUDES MULTI AIRPORT CITY UNLESS       
  RESTRICTED BY THE AIRPORT PROVISIONS OF THE FARE.)            
 -STANDBY ANY DAY `REGARDLESS OF OUTBOUND/DOWNLINE/RETURN)      
 -COTERMINALS: STANDBY IS -NOT- PERMITTED. CHANGES TO           
  COTERMINAL IS A RE-ROUTE AND SUBJECT TO RECALCULATION.        
 -CUSTOMERS MAY BE PUT ON THE AIRPORT STANDBY LISTING           
  ONLY WITHIN FOUR HOURS OF THEIR DESIRED FLIGHT TIME.          

NON-REFUNDABLE FARES                                           
 --------------------                                           
 -PASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATION AND TICKET MAY       
  STANDBY FOR ANY EARLIER/LATER SAME-DAY FLIGHT`S) FOR NO       
  ADDITIONAL CHARGE INCLUDING MULTI AIRPORT CITY BELOW          
  UNLESS RESTRICTED BY THE AIRPORT PROVISIONS OF THE FARE:      
     CHI      MDW/ORD                                           
     NYC      JFK/LGA                                           
     WAS      DCA/IAD                                           
 -SAME-DAY STANDBY FOR ANY FLIGHT IS PERMITTED..INCLUDING       
  FLIGHT-SPECIFIC FARES AND CONNECTIONS STANDING BY FOR         
  NON-STOP FLIGHT ..AS LONG AS ORIGIN/DESTINATION AIRPORTS      
  REMAIN THE SAME `O/D INCLUDES MULTI AIRPORT CITY UNLESS       
  RESTRICTED BY THE AIRPORT PROVISIONS OF THE FARE.)            
 -COTERMINALS: STANDBY IS -NOT- PERMITTED.                      
 -CUSTOMERS MAY BE PUT ON THE AIRPORT STANDBY LISTING           
  ONLY WITHIN FOUR HOURS OF THEIR DESIRED FLIGHT TIME.          

MISSED TRIP PROVISIONS:                                        
 -----------------------                                        
  `FOR INTERNATIONAL GUIDELINES SEE: >S*FAR/RULE 80;)           

IF THE PASSENGER HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS AND            
 TICKETS MISSES THE FLIGHT AND PRESENTS HIMSELF/HERSELF         
 AT THE UA DEPARTURE AIRPORT TICKET COUNTER AFTER THE           
 CLOSE OUT OF THE SCHEDULED FLIGHT AND NO LATER THAN 2          
 HOURS AFTER THE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME: THE PASSENGER        
 WILL BE ACCOMMODATED ON A STANDBY BASIS ON THE NEXT            
 AVAILABLE UA FLIGHT `EVEN IF THE NEXT DAY) AND THE             
 SERVICE CHARGE/CHANGE FEE WILL BE WAIVED.
Taken from this post

Last edited by hellyea; Nov 20, 2006 at 2:23 pm
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:16 pm

What do you do if you want to get on a later flight that is more than 4 hours later than the originally scheduled one? Are you SOL?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by thor17
What do you do if you want to get on a later flight that is more than 4 hours later than the originally scheduled one? Are you SOL?
I'd like to know this as well. I have a 7am flight on sat, and I'm trying to switch it to an afternoon/evening flight. Also, does a change in routing affect anything?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by thor17
Since the rules say that same-day standby is OK for later flights, but later it says you can only be put on the list for a flight within four hours of the flight, it's definitely confusing.

My take: what you want to do is very risky. If you get lucky with a phone agent (it helps if there is some other issue that day, such as wx), they might see your status and accommodate you -- this happened to me during Hurricane/TS Ernesto when I was a 1P.

If the phone agent doesn't help, you essentially have to "miss" your first flight before you can be put on standby for your desired flight, which might cause some confusion with the "flat-tire" rule. This rule, IIRC (can someone post the profile?), says you have to present yourself at the airport within two hours of scheduled departure to prevent your ticket from being cancelled and you will be accommodated on a standby basis on the next available flights.

I'd probably attempt this on a Saturday in February. I definitely WOULD NOT attempt this on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Your booking is not cancelled until after midnight of the date of travel. But as noted above you take a big risk with the confirmed standby more than 3-4 hours after your original flight since you don't know if you can confirm until after it is too late to make your ticketed flight.

The big advantage of the flat-tire rule is that if you show up within two hours of original departure time, you can stand by at no cost even if you need to wait until the next day to get out. With the confirmed standby system, it only works the same day so if you cannot get a flight out that day, you may have to pay a change fee to travel the next day. If there are no flights that you can confirm on that day, you will need to do regular standby and hope for the best. I do not know what UA would actually do if you were standing by for flights today and didn't get on any of them.

Even if a flight looks open later in the day, a mid-day cancellation or a major misconnect inbound can cause that flight to be full or overbooked by the time your 4-hour window opens.

Charles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.