Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:47 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
multi segment confirmed upgrades

I think the interpretation of rules for $25 charges to confirm flight changes within 24 hours is highly variable and depends entirely upon the level of training for the ticket agent. For example, two weeks ago in Atlanta, a RCC agent insisted that I needed to pay 2 X $25 to take an earlier flight from ATL to ORD and continuing on my to my final destination on an earlier connecting flight. This second flight was scheduled to depart 3.5 hours from the time the agent charged me the $50. The irony is my original flight was delayed and I would have missed my original connection. On the other hand, early this week my Mesa flight into ORD was 5 minutes early and I was able to get to a gate where an earlier (illegal) connection was waiting for crew. The gate agent immediately confirmed a seat without charge and eventually upgraded me to first.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:21 am

I believe that can be found in the detailed fare terms. However, I would not be surprised if the agents do not know what they are saying. Last November, I wanted to confirm on an earlier flight at DCA, and the agent was checkin clueless, babbling about 100$ change fee. As she was "finding out", I dipped my credit card in the Easy Chicken, confirmed the flight and the upgrade. It took some time to have my checked in bag tags retrieved from an agent - that clueless.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by nigos
I think the interpretation of rules for $25 charges to confirm flight changes within 24 hours is highly variable and depends entirely upon the level of training for the ticket agent. For example, two weeks ago in Atlanta, a RCC agent insisted that I needed to pay 2 X $25 to take an earlier flight from ATL to ORD and continuing on my to my final destination on an earlier connecting flight. This second flight was scheduled to depart 3.5 hours from the time the agent charged me the $50. The irony is my original flight was delayed and I would have missed my original connection. On the other hand, early this week my Mesa flight into ORD was 5 minutes early and I was able to get to a gate where an earlier (illegal) connection was waiting for crew. The gate agent immediately confirmed a seat without charge and eventually upgraded me to first.
I think you were overcharged by $25, and that it would have been an overcharge even if the second flight had been 4.5 hours off rather than 3.5. At least that is my understanding based on discussion with CSR about confirmed standby when seeking to go earlier than originally scheduled on initial flight and then an earlier than originally scheduled connecting flight. (I don't have actual experience of this, however, since I was only "accelerating" one flight with my $25 confirmed standby.)

What has been the experience of others with $25 confirmed standby where there were subsequent connections? Will $25 cover just the first flight in the itinerary or will the same $25 cover subsequent connections too? (It would be great if the $25 would cover all subsequent connections, including the "return" portion of an all-in-a-day multisegment MR.)
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
We are told via a verbal memo recitation post that this fee has now been waived for 1Ks.

Has any 1K needed to use this in the past week since this apparently has been kosher, and can they confirm the fee was waived please?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 9:35 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by ozstamps
We are told via a verbal memo recitation post that this fee has now been waived for 1Ks.

Has any 1K needed to use this in the past week since this apparently has been kosher, and can they confirm the fee was waived please?
You really are skeptical! Didn't Tilton(?) contact you directly about the fee waiver?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:15 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ozstamps

Wow, free confirmed change for 1Ks. That's great!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...fee+waiver+UGS

The waiver applies to UGS as well

Pat
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Question EWR-DEN to LGA-DEN

Any FT'ers have any luck with the confirmed standby changing between LGA/EWR to ORD or DEN? I have a flight this Saturday EWR-DEN-SMF, that I would like to change to LGA-DEN-SMF. The connection works fine with either routing.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thegingerman
Wow, free confirmed change for 1Ks. That's great!
Maybe that's why I never got charged as a 1K! And all this time, I just thought the agents were being courteous.

Originally Posted by TravelManKen
Any FT'ers have any luck with the confirmed standby changing between LGA/EWR to ORD or DEN? I have a flight this Saturday EWR-DEN-SMF, that I would like to change to LGA-DEN-SMF. The connection works fine with either routing.
IIRC, you aren't supposed to be able to use the confirmed standby with a change in airports. (Not to mention that EWR and LGA aren't even considered co-terminals for standby purposes as it is, unfortunately). YMMV.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thor17
Can I do a confirmed standby on a multiairport city (i.e. IAD/DCA)? The agents are telling me that I cannot. They are saying that I can do regular standby for it, but not confirmed standby. Is this true?
Hmm... IAD/DCA is considered the "same point" for free standby purposes absent any airport provisions of the fare rules, as are JFK/LGA and ORD/MDW. However, IIRC, the confirmed standby rules seem to state that you cannot change your routing, and thus agents might see that as a disallowed change.

(In practice, IAD/DCA would be the only airport pair theoretically "allowed" for confirmed standby anyway, and only then on connections via ORD or rarely DEN... since anywhere else definitely involves a real change in routing; other multiple airport metro areas aren't allowed for standby in the rules at all, like SFO/OAK/SJC and LAX/BUR/SNA/ONT.)
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by exerda
However, IIRC, the confirmed standby rules seem to state that you cannot change your routing, and thus agents might see that as a disallowed change.
This is what the rules say about changing routing (as well as confirming changes on "downline" flights on the itinerary):
Code:
4. ONLY OFFER IDENTICAL ROUTING: SAME DESTINATION AND                          
    SAME CONNECTION CITY. CONNECTING DOWNLINE FLIGHTS                           
    MAY BE OFFERED/CONFIRMED.                                                   
    EXAMPLES: CLE X/ORD LAX...CANNOT OFFER CLELAX NON-STOP                      
              CLE X/ORD LAX...CANNOT OFFER CLE X/DEN LAX                        
              CLE X/ORD LAX...CAN OFFER CLEORD AND ORDLAX                       
              CLE X/ORD LAX...CAN OFFER CLEORD OR ORDLAX
While it doesn't explicitly say that "identical routing" precludes multi-terminal airports, that's definitely been the interpretation I've encountered, from the 1K desk all the way to the ICC.

However, I did experience the fee waiver for 1Ks today! ^ Very cool, and not even a hesitation by the reservations desk.

Something that had me was that the gate agent at LAX had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for confirmed standby. I was trying to go on earlier LAX-SFO and SFO-CIC flights, and while she was able to just confirm me via normal standby on LAX-SFO, she kept saying that she could do nothing for me on the SFO-CIC flight because "that change would only be for if there's weather or other problems." I gave up and called the 1k desk and it was done. Anyone else have similar experiences with gate agents?
Old May 21, 2007, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Does any 1k have experience using the confirmed standby where you have non-1k traveling companions on the same PNR? Are the non-1ks fees waived along with the 1ks?
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:07 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
I want to change my flight from JFK to LGA.

The original post doesn't specifically state coterminals for confirmed standby, but post #131 does for regular airport standby.

S*FAR/STANDBY:
NON-REFUNDABLE FARES
--------------------
-PASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATION AND TICKET MAY
STANDBY FOR ANY EARLIER/LATER SAME-DAY FLIGHT`S) FOR NO
ADDITIONAL CHARGE
INCLUDING MULTI AIRPORT CITY BELOW
UNLESS RESTRICTED BY THE AIRPORT PROVISIONS OF THE FARE:
CHI MDW/ORD
NYC JFK/LGA
WAS DCA/IAD
-SAME-DAY STANDBY FOR ANY FLIGHT IS PERMITTED..INCLUDING
FLIGHT-SPECIFIC FARES AND CONNECTIONS STANDING BY FOR
NON-STOP FLIGHT ..AS LONG AS ORIGIN/DESTINATION AIRPORTS
REMAIN THE SAME `O/D INCLUDES MULTI AIRPORT CITY UNLESS
RESTRICTED BY THE AIRPORT PROVISIONS OF THE FARE.)
-COTERMINALS: STANDBY IS -NOT- PERMITTED.
-CUSTOMERS MAY BE PUT ON THE AIRPORT STANDBY LISTING
ONLY WITHIN FOUR HOURS OF THEIR DESIRED FLIGHT TIME.
Does this mean that I can or cannot go standby from LGA instead of JFK? And does it only apply to normal standby (asked at the airport) or can I call and do a confirmed standby (over phone)?

The reason I ask is that I just called and the CSR said not without a $350 change fee...
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:13 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I have no experience with this, but you could argue that the confirmed standby rules say "same connection city" (see post 161), so you could argue that JFK/LGA are a single city in UA parlance, even though they are not the same airport.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:32 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
I just learned from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601431 that JFK/LGA are "Multi-terminal cities" not "Co-terminal cities". However, my question is if this apply to Confirmed Standby (over phone) or only regular Standby (requested at airport)???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.