Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Unfortunately, I don't remember for sure where I saw it (thought it was the website, but you said it's not.) It's probably in the S* Profile if you can find that on this board.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At which point in the OLCI process does the $25 option appear?

I just booked an 8p ORD-SNA for tomorrow, with the hopes of getting on the 5p. (The 8p was about $230 cheaper.)

I did the OLCI, clicked on standby and selected the 5p flight -- the screen simply said I'd be placed on the WL and my name would be called at the gate. No advisory about collecting $25.

My guess is that the 5p is too full to be accepting paid standbys. Therefore, I did not check in -- periodically tomorrow, I will keep an eye on it to see if such an option appears.

Anybody else experience this?
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by Renard
So if I understand this correctly, I could ask to do this 'same day': I bought a UA ticket that is bos-clt-aua on US metal. I prefer to fly UA bos-ord-aua . If there is room that day on the ua flights, I can pay the same day standby fee for the confirmed seat on the UA metal?

Thats an international itin to Aruba.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
At which point in the OLCI process does the $25 option appear?

I just booked an 8p ORD-SNA for tomorrow, with the hopes of getting on the 5p. (The 8p was about $230 cheaper.)

I did the OLCI, clicked on standby and selected the 5p flight -- the screen simply said I'd be placed on the WL and my name would be called at the gate. No advisory about collecting $25.

My guess is that the 5p is too full to be accepting paid standbys. Therefore, I did not check in -- periodically tomorrow, I will keep an eye on it to see if such an option appears.

Anybody else experience this?
If you go back to OLCI on the day of your flight, you'll see the $25 change option right next to the standby option. It doesnt show up the day before because you are not yet eligible for the 4 hour change.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BillKach
If you go back to OLCI on the day of your flight, you'll see the $25 change option right next to the standby option. It doesnt show up the day before because you are not yet eligible for the 4 hour change.
This is what I was looking for, thanks.

Just checked again, still no $25 option...it could be early. Given today's news, though, I may just bail on flying as I'm not in the mood to put up with a heightened security airport!
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
I just read through this entire thread, and I'm still unclear---

I'm booked on a DCA-ORD-SEA Thursday morning. Would I be able to change that to the 8:30 IAD-SEA flight that morning?

I'm unclear on the "routing" issue. I seems that I can switch to IAD, but do I have to switch to IAD-ORD-SEA?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Unprotected?

If you are on a 7 am flight out of DCA and you want to be on a 8:40 am out of IAD, aren't you unprotected? Do I have to wait until 4:40 am to call? I wouldn't make my 7 am DCA flight (or have trouble anyway) if I wait that long...I can't call at 3 am? (when I was originally scheduled to depart)...

I'm worried about this.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:02 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Correct. You have no choice but to head to the airport for your original flight and call on the way to standby for the 8:40.

The alternative is to pay the $100. I had the same problem once.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: united airlines
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe one can come out ahead if they are booked on a later flight (e.g., red-eye leaving at very end of the day) and would like to switch to an earlier flight the same day, either by (i)standing-by without any guarantees (but no risk either) for that earlier flight, or (ii) if the earlier flight can be locked in 4 hours or closer to the scheduled departure time, paying $25 to lock it in. When one is booked on an earlier flight but wants to go on a later one, they can let UA know that is what they are going to try, but they have cannot guarantee themselves a seat on more than 4 hours later than they were originally scheduled to depart, if indeed they can do that.

My question - how much of a risk is there in missing the red-eye and looking to get out the next AM? Reasonably safe bet or not so safe a bet?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:43 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I have done that... I had no problem standing by for an AM flight connecting to a redeye much later. I did this SEA-SFO-IAD allowing me the day to hang out with friends in the bay area. I didnt even need to do a confirmed, sometimes the AM flights on a Sunday are so wide open you just get handed a BP no problem. Your later reservation wll stand even though you are now violating the fare rules and creating a stopover.

HOWEVER: If you on-line check-in for the second flight, your check-in will get cancelled when you successfully take the earlier flight. You need to re-check-in. I almost lost my seat cuz of that, so beware!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by itsme
but they have cannot guarantee themselves a seat on more than 4 hours later than they were originally scheduled to depart, if indeed they can do that.
I just want to m ake sure that any new readers of this thread are aware that, on your return flight, it is still possible to confirm a change for $100, regardless of how far in advance you want to do it. On your outbound flight, this is more troublesome because you'll be refared to the walk-up fare, but it is still an option on the return.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I just confirmed for an earlier flight, paid my $25 and then UA.com asked me to volunteer my seat for a later flight ... I said yes, what happens now?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:35 pm

You don't get your $25 back. You got what you paid for, a confirmed seat on that flight.

Then you sold it back to them for VDB compensation, that's worth more than $25 and a good trade.

Buy Low - Sell High.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:08 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Alaska Air MVP Gold
$25 Confirmed Standby Booked in "U"

My wife and I flew from Denver to SJC on 9/5. We were scheduled to fly at approx. 8:30pm, but preferred to fly out earlier. When I called on 9/4 the agent advised that it wasn't likely that seats would be available.

I was able to confirm a 2:45pm flight for both of us at $25 each. We were booked in T at purchase, but changed to "U" when the confirmed standby was processed. Earlier posts indicate that either your original booking class or H class must be available for the standby upgrade to be offerred. When I checked for available booking classes on United.com I found that neither were available before I requested the change.

Also, I was offered an upgrade to first class (both at departure and return) for $130 each. This is more than it would cost to purchase e-500s (2 @ $50).
Old Sep 9, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: united airlines
Is H a fare they normally sell or is it a special one for internal purposes? If I understand what was posted early in this thread: so long as the plane is not overbooked (capacity -1), they will sell confirmed standby, putting the passenger in at same fare class as originally booked if that is available (e.g., V into V), if not available than put into H. Sounds like H is some sort of catch-all for these purposes.

So, they just have to have one, perhaps two, unreserved seats in the cabin, and one can have it as confirmed standby, regardless of what the availability is according to fare buckets. Then when you call to see if can have confirmed standby, not necessary to inquire if they have seats in your original fare class (e.g., V), nor any H seats, since they will "create" an H seat for you if plane isn't fully booked. Right?

(Previous poster said their confirmed standby went into U. But no reason for us to care whether H, U, or whatever, so long as we get a seat, right? It's "internal" to UA without consequence to us.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.