Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: all views expressed by me are mine only and do not reflect those of UAL or their partners
$25.00**standby fee

Originally Posted by chuck1
Let's say I am on the 11am and I need to go later. I call up and cancel my flight so my e-ticket stays active.

At 2pm I call for the 6pm. It is open and the agent confirms me for $25. If NF is available, will they also upgrade me?

Let's look at it with the 500 mile e-upgrades, sales upgrade, confirmed regional or systemwide.
Chuck**once you cncl your flt**you cncl your reservation**so a new reservation would have too be made at the fare of the day**minus your old
etkt credit and an additonal penalty of $100.00**This strategy is not a good idea.The $25.00 fee only confirms you on the latter flt(with in 4 hours of call)
fyi***the etkt itself is not changed**If "apollo" allows it**the upgrades can be processed if available or waitlisted**seat selections would have too be made at the airport**the seat maps would be under airport control
Old Feb 3, 2006, 2:01 pm

So if H or original class is available you can pay the $25 and then do the upgrade into NC/NF at the same time as long as available?

I understand no seat assigment due to airport control, but will they confirm the upgrade in the same call where they take the $25?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 2:07 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by chuck1
So if H or original class is available you can pay the $25 and then do the upgrade into NC/NF at the same time as long as available?

I understand no seat assigment due to airport control, but will they confirm the upgrade in the same call where they take the $25?
Yes.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:11 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I was on a 4:30pm to Seattle today and wanted to stay in SF longer. I looked at the 10:30pm which was wide open, but decided that once 6:30 rolled around I would call, since I had to be in Seattle at 1pm the next day. Anyway, I called at 6:30 and was told that you can only do this for flights that depart 4 hours before or after your orignally scheduled flight, basically an 8 hour window. The CSR said "she'd made an exception". Has anyone come across this? UA's website wording doesn't really suggest this.

By the way I was able to confirm my upgrade at the same time as paying the $25.

Also has anyone had experience with this on a non-refundable/non-changeable QUP fare that books into A class?

Last edited by SF1K; Feb 8, 2006 at 2:16 am
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:43 pm

Programs: JGC
Can this be done on award tickets?
I am waitlisted on the 12:50pm flight from HNL to SFO
and am confirmed on the 9:30pm flight.
Can I call UA around 9 am on the day of travel
and confirm a seat for $25 (provided a seat is available)?
Or does a award seat (saver) usually become open at the last minute?

Thank you.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
I did not read any mention of same-day Confirmed Standby for a domestic award ticket. I would like to change to an earlier flight this coming weekend. Is that permitted?

Anyone? Anyone?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
I have received notice that $25 same day Confirmed Standby is NOT available on award travel, only on purchased tickets.

Regular standby is available on award travel.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SF1K
and was told that you can only do this for flights that depart 4 hours before or after your orignally scheduled flight, basically an 8 hour window.
The UA web site leads me to believe me that this is not correct. The same-day confirmed on UA.com reads as follows:

"Alternate flights must be scheduled to depart within four hours of your request. Flights outside of four hours do not qualify and the existing change fee policy applies."

Note that it does not say "...within four hours of your original flight"
Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:58 pm

I just got off the phone with an RSSR who told me its four hours from contact, not four hours before or after your orignally scheduled flight. If I am confirmed on the 8PM, and I want to take the 8AM, I can call at 4AM, get confirmed on the flight for $25 and leave for the airport at 6AM.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, AA Plat, US Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by LGA_UAL
I just got off the phone with an RSSR who told me its four hours from contact, not four hours before or after your orignally scheduled flight. If I am confirmed on the 8PM, and I want to take the 8AM, I can call at 4AM, get confirmed on the flight for $25 and leave for the airport at 6AM.
Very nicely put, LGA_UAL. That's the policy exactly. Kudos to the CSR for setting the record straight. ^

Just another reason, IMHO, why this policy is so great for travelers on non-flexible tickets. Northwest, by contrast, has a 6-hour window (3 hours before or after original flight), which is annoying.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: UAL
Originally Posted by SFOTRAVELER
I have received notice that $25 same day Confirmed Standby is NOT available on award travel, only on purchased tickets.

Is that for Saver or Standard Awards? I've always thought Standard Awards are just like full Y tickets.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:07 pm

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by SFOTRAVELER

Thanks, SFOTRAVELER.
I just got off the phone with an MP award agent and got the same response from her.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
New Qs: Int'l Travel and Co-Terminals

Can I do anything with this scenario?

Flying SFO-EWR-IAD-ZRH, S class. Booked redeye to EWR, 10:45 am (approx) to IAD, 6:00 pm to ZRH. What if I want to spend time visiting a friend in NYC and fly from any NYC airport to IAD about 2:45 pm?

First, does confirmed standby or regular standby allow me to fly from LGA or JFK to IAD? Then, whether or not it does, does the flat tire rule apply and is there any standby priority due to my international connection?

P.S. This problem arose because I used an E-Cert on united.bomb. That forced me to book a roundtrip, not multi-city, and take the default 10:45 trip from EWR. Still, I'm not complaining that much because the cost per mile is very good.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
Can I do anything with this scenario?

Flying SFO-EWR-IAD-ZRH, S class. Booked redeye to EWR, 10:45 am (approx) to IAD, 6:00 pm to ZRH. What if I want to spend time visiting a friend in NYC and fly from any NYC airport to IAD about 2:45 pm?

First, does confirmed standby or regular standby allow me to fly from LGA or JFK to IAD? Then, whether or not it does, does the flat tire rule apply and is there any standby priority due to my international connection?

P.S. This problem arose because I used an E-Cert on united.bomb. That forced me to book a roundtrip, not multi-city, and take the default 10:45 trip from EWR. Still, I'm not complaining that much because the cost per mile is very good.
The $25 standby rule only applies to domestic itn's so sorry to say you are out of luck.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:51 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Just sharing my experience with the first time I used the $25 confirmed standby.

Here we are in March Madness and I noticed that my flight SFO-ORD-PHL-ORD-SFO has an impossible turnaround time of 12 minutes in PHL. I needed to change my 4:00 pm ORD-PHL flight to the 1:15 pm flight.

Under the rules, I would still be on the plane to ORD when the 4 hour window opened.

I called the 1k desk and explained the dilemma. The CSR checked with the supervisor who said that it would be 4 hours from the start of the trip which would mean I could call at 2:15 am....however, she suggested to the supervisor that I might need some sleep to catch the 6:15 flight from SFO. They waived the 4 hour period so I wouldn't have to call back at 2:15 am. ^

I was able to grab one of the few remaining seats and also get on the waitlist for F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.