Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
Your booking is not cancelled until after midnight of the date of travel.
Ah, yes ... thanks for the correction.

I do not know what UA would actually do if you were standing by for flights today and didn't get on any of them.
I am almost positive that in a flat-tire situation UA would just keep issuing you DMCs for standby until you got out, right on into the next day -- this definitely happens to people who miss the last flight(s) of the night. The difference is that I don't believe you'd have disserviced passenger priority, unless you convinced an agent to give it to you, as you would if you were on standby due to weather or mechanical issues.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by espostor
I am almost positive that in a flat-tire situation UA would just keep issuing you DMCs for standby until you got out, right on into the next day -- this definitely happens to people who miss the last flight(s) of the night. The difference is that I don't believe you'd have disserviced passenger priority, unless you convinced an agent to give it to you, as you would if you were on standby due to weather or mechanical issues.
That's not my question. Suppose I book an 8am flight but don't take it. I call up to try confirmed standby at 3pm and find that the available 7pm and 8pm flights cannot accomodate confirmed standby because they are oversold. I show up at the airport and stand by for those two flights (last flights of the day) and don't get on. It's not a flat-tire situation. My question is what would UA do with me then?

Charles
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:06 pm

That's not my question.
My apologies. Your paragraph started with a reference to the benefits of the flat-tire rule, and I misinterpreted from there.

My question is what would UA do with me then?
At that point, United would be obligated to do nothing, since you don't meet the flat-tire requirements and your ticket will have been canceled by the time the next flight leaves the following morning. You would be completely at the mercy of whatever agent(s) you speak to, most of whom, depending on your status and the general load factors, are probably going to tell you that all you can do is purchase a walk-up fare.

At that point, you could always, as a res agent once told me, go to the gate agents and "see how far your status will carry you."
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by espostor
My apologies. Your paragraph started with a reference to the benefits of the flat-tire rule, and I misinterpreted from there.
Can someone point me to a section/post that explains the flat tire rule?
thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by hellyea
Can someone point me to a section/post that explains the flat tire rule?
Earlier I had it in my head that the missed trip policy was separate from the same-day standby policy, but now I see now that it's actually at the bottom of the same-day standby section:

Code:
       STANDBY FOR U.S. 50 STATES / SJU/STT / CANADA            
     THIS INCLUDES OA CODE SHARE THAT IS UA OPERATED*           
          `INTERNATIONAL: STANDBY NOT PERMITTED)                

OVERVIEW...................................>S*R.A;            
  REFUNDABLE FARES...........................>S*R.B;            
  NON-REFUNDABLE FARES.......................>S*R.C;            
  MISSED TRIP PROVISION......................>S*R.D;            

...snip...

MISSED TRIP PROVISIONS:                                        
 -----------------------                                        
  `FOR INTERNATIONAL GUIDELINES SEE: >S*FAR/RULE 80;)           

IF THE PASSENGER HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS AND            
 TICKETS MISSES THE FLIGHT AND PRESENTS HIMSELF/HERSELF         
 AT THE UA DEPARTURE AIRPORT TICKET COUNTER AFTER THE           
 CLOSE OUT OF THE SCHEDULED FLIGHT AND NO LATER THAN 2          
 HOURS AFTER THE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME: THE PASSENGER        
 WILL BE ACCOMMODATED ON A STANDBY BASIS ON THE NEXT            
 AVAILABLE UA FLIGHT `EVEN IF THE NEXT DAY) AND THE             
 SERVICE CHARGE/CHANGE FEE WILL BE WAIVED.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
OLCI night before?

Bumping this up. I think UNITED959 kind of answered this in post 95, but I want to check with you all to see if this is still possible.

-OLCI the day before for my original flight. Get BPs for the original flight (just in case the standby doesn't go through).
-On the day of, go to OLCI and do the confirmed standby.
-Request upgrades and get BPs for the new flight at the same time.
-No need to stop by at the counter.

Is that right? Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:39 pm
Suspended

$25 confirmed standby and confirmed upgrades?

How does the confirmed standby work out when an upgrade is applied?

I purchased a regular coach fare and had my travel agent upgrade it using some confirmed regional upgrade certificates. If i want to take a later flight is it possible for me to use the $25 confirmed standby option 4 hours before and stay in first class???
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by SkiUtah
How does the confirmed standby work out when an upgrade is applied?

I purchased a regular coach fare and had my travel agent upgrade it using some confirmed regional upgrade certificates. If i want to take a later flight is it possible for me to use the $25 confirmed standby option 4 hours before and stay in first class???
Your confirmed change will be to coach on the new flight and you can join the upgrade list immediately after you are confirmed on the new flight. If there is upgrade inventory open for immediate confirmation, you could confirm into first (possible, but not usual); otherwise you will wait at the gate on the upgrade list according to status, fare paid, and time joining the list. You could check on the web or ask the phone reservations if there is confirmable upgrade space on the new flight before you make the change.

Charles
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, AA Plat, US Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Tennen
Bumping this up. I think UNITED959 kind of answered this in post 95, but I want to check with you all to see if this is still possible.

-OLCI the day before for my original flight. Get BPs for the original flight (just in case the standby doesn't go through).
-On the day of, go to OLCI and do the confirmed standby.
-Request upgrades and get BPs for the new flight at the same time.
-No need to stop by at the counter.

Is that right? Thanks!
I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Just wait to do OLCI until you're able to do the confirmed standby at the same time, and print your BPs at that point. You can always request the upgrade at the gate.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 7:46 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
It looks like all the flights I wanted to get on are zeroed out in Y, so I probably won't be able to use the confirmed standby anyway. The thought behind checking in twice was a) to get on the UGDG list as soon as possible on my original flight, in case the standby fell through and b) to get on the earlier flight (and try to get on the UGDG list too ). Oh well. I guess I'll have to hope my u/g for my original flight clears at the gate...
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:16 am
Suspended

Cool

I just got off the phone with UA reservations and the agent told me he is 100% sure that you can do the confirmed standby even a day later as long as you call 4 hours before the flight you want to take. from the posts on this board i dont believe him it looks like you need to fly the same day i asked him twice he then assured me its not a problem ?????????
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiUtah
I just got off the phone with UA reservations and the agent told me he is 100% sure that you can do the confirmed standby even a day later as long as you call 4 hours before the flight you want to take. from the posts on this board i dont believe him it looks like you need to fly the same day i asked him twice he then assured me its not a problem ?????????
I think you got a bad agent. It is definitely supposed to be same day only.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:50 pm
Suspended

first off thank you for confirming

second is it possible for me to fly standby the next day? i have no time constraints at all and could fly at any time

i would be happy to pay the 100 dollar change fee but united said they cant change it because i went thru a travel agency and they sad they want 200 dollars to change the ticket 100 of therir own fee plus 100 united fee. is there anyway i can get united to change it.

its impossible to call united right now and out of sympathy to the thousands of stranded people trying to get in touch i dont want to tie up the lines and ask united this right now so thanks in advance!!!!
Old Dec 21, 2006, 3:22 pm

Programs: united airlines
"confirmed standby" all the way down the line for $25?

different "$25 confirmed standby" (have asked before, but no takers): How far "downstream" can one make use of it? What I mean is:

One is ticketed to fly A-B-C-B-A all in the same day (mileage run). They can call within 4 hours of the flight they wish to substitute for their originally scheduled flight (A-B) and get $25 confirmed standby" on an earlier (or later) substitutable flight, so long as there are still unsold seats in Economy. And for that same $25 one can get "confirmed standby" on a flight to substitute for B-C too, provided there are still unsold seats in Economy on the flight to be substitute for the originally booked one, though the scheduled departure of B is more than 4 hours away. (Reservationist was quite clear that it would work this way.) So...how far "downstream" could one take this? Could they change all their flights to earlier ones for the same $25, provided of course the seats were there, even C-B and B-A, though those would be the return?

Any one ever try this? Might it depend on how "cooperative" a reservationist one was dealing with?
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:28 am

Can I do a confirmed standby on a multiairport city (i.e. IAD/DCA)? The agents are telling me that I cannot. They are saying that I can do regular standby for it, but not confirmed standby. Is this true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.