Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you wanted to know about the confirmed same-day change process

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Welcome to FT CALISGIRL, you can only do a confirmed change 4 hours prior to your originally scheduled flight, in your case a flight at 4pm or later. You can always go to the airport and stand by for each flight from 6am on. Maybe you will get lucky and not have to pay the $50 per ticket in that case. I would check the fare buckets to see what your chances are before you head out so early.
IIRC its 4 hours before the new flight you wish to take, not the original flight. I know that I've done this many times, now if that's only an elite benefit I don't know, since I've never paid the $25 (now $50) fee since its waived for 1Ks and GS.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by zambonisk
IIRC its 4 hours before the new flight you wish to take, not the original flight. I know that I've done this many times, now if that's only an elite benefit I don't know, since I've never paid the $25 (now $50) fee since its waived for 1Ks and GS.
3 weeks ago I was told via the phone and at ORD that it was 4 hours before my scheduled flight. I was well within the 4 hours of the flight I wanted to take. I am currently not an elite. I hope I was not lied to.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
3 weeks ago I was told via the phone and at ORD that it was 4 hours before my scheduled flight. I was well within the 4 hours of the flight I wanted to take. I am currently not an elite. I hope I was not lied to.
As stated in post #1 and on the United site
Alternate flights must be scheduled to depart within four hours of your request; flights outside of four hours do not qualify and the existing change fee policy applies

It is easy to be confused since within 4 hours of original departure might seem more logical but it is up to 4 hours before the desired flight (but same day as original departure)

So if the agent said it was the orginal departure time then
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As stated in post #1 and on the United site
Alternate flights must be scheduled to depart within four hours of your request; flights outside of four hours do not qualify and the existing change fee policy applies

It is easy to be confused since within 4 hours of original departure might seem more logical but it is up to 4 hours before the desired flight (but same day as original departure)

So if the agent said it was the orginal departure time then
That makes sense, the agent on the phone said this but was over ruled by the agent at ORD.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:45 am

From my United email yesterday;

Request a same-day flight change at an EasyCheck-in kiosk or at EasyCheck-in Online. You can choose from available seats on an alternate flight to the same destination departing within four hours of the time of your request. If an eligible seat is available, your change will be confirmed and you will be charged a $25.00 fee.

Guess someone didn't get the message.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: united airlines
From my United email yesterday;

Request a same-day flight change at an EasyCheck-in kiosk or at EasyCheck-in Online. You can choose from available seats on an alternate flight to the same destination departing within four hours of the time of your request. If an eligible seat is available, your change will be confirmed and you will be charged a $25.00 fee.

Guess someone didn't get the message.
I would tell you to print that email out so you could insist upon paying no more than $25 the next time this comes up for you, but most of the time you are calling on the phone to set up the confirmed standby, not doing it at the airport where the email in hand might be useful to have.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by itsme
I would tell you to print that email out so you could insist upon paying no more than $25 the next time this comes up for you, but most of the time you are calling on the phone to set up the confirmed standby, not doing it at the airport where the email in hand might be useful to have.
True, but good tip.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by itsme
and upon insisting, i'd give a snowball's chance in phoenix in july that the agent would show any sort of leeway on the $50 fee.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 9:45 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Multiple Confirmed Standbys Possible the Same Day?

Let's say I'm booked on a 9:00 a.m. flight. I want to fly at 7:00 p.m. in a market where UA has 9 or 10 departures per day on the same nonstop routing. At 7:00a I call to confirm an 11:00 a.m. flight. Then at 10:00a I call to confirm a 2:00 p.m. flight. And so on through the day until my desired flight at 7:00 p.m. I'm not concerned about multiple fees, since I don't pay them as a 1K. I would do it to assure space on a flight that day, as late as possible. Will UA allow this?

Also some other questions:

- Would UA ever permit confirmed standby via a connection, if the booking is nonstop?

- If already confirmed for an upgrade on the original flight, will they ever carry over that confirmation to the confirmed standby flight, if space available?

- If not doing the repeat calling thing, is it best not to check in for the original flight, but just miss it and call for confirmed standby later in the day?

Thx.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Explore
Will UA allow this?

Also some other questions:

- Would UA ever permit confirmed standby via a connection, if the booking is nonstop?

- If already confirmed for an upgrade on the original flight, will they ever carry over that confirmation to the confirmed standby flight, if space available?

- If not doing the repeat calling thing, is it best not to check in for the original flight, but just miss it and call for confirmed standby later in the day?

Thx.
Yes.
No. (Exceptions might be possible although rare, but only at the airport.)
No. (Although they will probably ask whether you would like to upgrade/be put on the upgrade list.)
Not sure, although I do it every now and then and never had a problem.

You may also be able to change flights multiple times through online checkin using the same method you're thinking about, although I've never tried. Maybe I'll try next time.

One thing though is that since you can only change flights into one that has H availability, flights need to be not too full throughout the day. In such a situation, just checking loads using seatcounter or some such and then just calling in the afternoon will usually work just as well. And if H disappears in the interim, you'll still be able to get on with regular standby since you are 1K. The only thing you are guarding against by calling continuously is a cancelled flight pouring passengers onto other flights, which may or may not be a concern for you depending on how certain you have to be of your flight time.

Last edited by paulwlee; Sep 14, 2007 at 3:45 pm
Old Sep 14, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something

Thx.
Confirmed standby is only for your ticketed routing. You can do regular standby on another routing by asking at the airport, but changing to a connection may be risky as you might not get a seat from the connecting city.

Once you are confirmed on the new flight you can request the upgrade and if NF/NC space is open you will get it immediately. If not, you will be on the waitlist or DM list. Many agents will notice your upgrade and try to accomodate you.

If you are not planning to take your ticketed flight then don't check in for it. You can use the ticket up until midnight of the ticketed date (or cancel by that time to rebook).

Charles
Old Sep 14, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paulwlee
Yes.
One thing though is that since you can only change flights into one that has H availability, flights need to be not too full throughout the day. In such a situation, just checking loads using seatcounter or some such and then just calling in the afternoon will usually work just as well. And if H disappears in the interim, you'll still be able to get on with regular standby since you are 1K. The only thing you are guarding against by calling continuously is a cancelled flight pouring passengers onto other flights, which may or may not be a concern for you depending on how certain you have to be of your flight time.
Thanks for the information. However, I understand that the H class assignment is just a rebooking technicality. If there is more than one seat available on the flight, even if it's Y inventory, you get it but are assigned H (if original fare class is less than H). Also, I hear that relying on seatcounter or ual.com for available seat inventory may be misleading, since the flight may be overbooked and you will not score a seat in that case, even if there are seats for sale. And yes, the repeat calling is indeed to guard against a flight cancellation.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If there is more than one seat available on the flight, even if it's Y inventory, you get it but are assigned H (if original fare class is less than H).
This may be true, although my experience points otherwise, I wasn't paying too much attention.
Does anyone know for sure?

seatcounter or ual.com ... seat inventory may be misleading,
If there are lots of lower booking classes it's usually never overbooked.
Of course things can change fast when there are reroutes or cancellations, like a few months ago when I watched all the JFK-SFO flights go from 9's to 0's within an hour during the Chicago storms.

It's not foolproof, but it's a very good way to gauge seat availability if you know its limitations.
(Just not for asking questions on FT like "It's showing Y9, is it safe to standby?" )

Last edited by paulwlee; Sep 14, 2007 at 6:35 pm Reason: edited for brevity
Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:24 pm

So would there be any possibility of going to SNA as opposed to LAX on this confirmed stby? Anyone done it before? I know the rules say no, but I know agents can override this. What about regular stby?
Old Sep 14, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: united airlines
...- If not doing the repeat calling thing, is it best not to check in for the original flight, but just miss it and call for confirmed standby later in the day?

Thx.
If you don't call in advance of departure to say that you are going to miss the flight or show up out of breath at the ticket counter within two hours of the scheduled departure, don't you stand the risk of having your ticket canceled and receiving nothing in return for it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.