Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 10:24 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
.......In terms of her $600 credit, it came in the form of 4 coupons of $150 each.
The question is whether 2 or more of the coupons can be used as credit for the purchase of a single ticket?......
these are "type-b"/dbc (denied boarding compensation) travel credits and are the equivalent of cash. they can be combined and applied to one fare tho i'm not sure if you can get a refund/rebate for the difference if the fare is lower than the combined value of the vouchers used (i.e $280 fare with 2x$150 vouchers used)-there have been reports of both yes and no here on f/t.

oh, and btw-nice job by your wife on the bump-$600, hotel & phud ^
Old May 23, 2008, 11:22 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
In my last two redemptions of DBC's I've bought tickets for my wife and I and in both cases have NOT had to endorse the vouchers with her name or any other craziness. In both cases I went to the airport to book, because I wanted to make sure it was done quickly and so I could then apply upgrades. The desk agent never even thought twice that the vouchers were in my name.
Old May 23, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: UA MM Gold
I just dealt with the 1K desk on this matter this morning. My most recent VDB Travel Credit coupons came with this endorsement on the front:
"Non combinable/ non refundable / non extendible / void if mutilated"
Also says "treat as Type B Voucher."
My 1K agent said the non combinable meant just that. I could only use one travel credit coupon per person. Accordingly, I just sent off one per person this morning for ticket by mail.
OTOH, I recently combined several Travel Credit vouchers for fare refunds to purchase a single ticket. These were also marked "Treat as Type B Voucher" BUT they said nothing about "non combinable."
What does the "non combinable" endorsement mean on the VDB Travel Credit coupons??
Does anyone have access to the *UAB/Travel Credit profile??
Tks in advance....
Old May 23, 2008, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The agent was wrong. You can use more than one per ticket. I believe non-combinable means you can't combine Type A & Type B.

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2008, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
...The question is whether 2 or more of the coupons can be used as credit for the purchase of a single ticket?

A secondary question is whether the flight credits must be used towards purchase of her tickets, or may be used by (for example) other members of her family (including myself).
I've merged your post into the existing thread we have on this topic; hope this and the other answers you've received will be of help.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old May 23, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The agent was wrong. You can use more than one per ticket. I believe non-combinable means you can't combine Type A & Type B.

Cheers.
You are right. I just called UA back & confirmed that as long as the coupons come from the same booklet, they most certainly are combinable. You cannot combine two separate booklets of coupons.....
Old May 23, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by nzpilot
What does the "non combinable" endorsement mean on the VDB Travel Credit coupons??
WRT VDB vouchers, "non-combinable" means that the vouchers cannot be combined with those from other booklets, nor (AFAIK) with other Type B vouchers. But, you can combine multiple vouchers from the same booklet.
Old May 23, 2008, 2:23 pm

I know I've gotten all of these from elsewhere on the board, but they might as well be in this thread.

BillJ

UA S*UAB/TRAVEL CREDIT

TRAVEL CREDITS PROGRAM INFORMATION
11JUN1999
----------------------
OVERVIEW 11JUN1999 ‡S*R.A
TERMS AND CONDITIONS 02OCT2001 ‡S*R.B
TICKETING INSTRUCTIONS 02OCT2001 ‡S*R.C
OVERVIEW
- TRAVEL CREDITS ARE UNITED*S METHOD OF COMPENSATING PASSENGERS WHO HAVE BEEN DENIED BOARDING DUE TO OVERSALES.
- A TRAVEL CREDIT CONSISTS OF A BOOKLET CONTAINING 4 COUPONS. THE BOOKLET MAY BE MANUAL OR AUTO-GENERATED.
- EACH COUPON HAS A VALUE OF 1/4TH OF THE TOTAL BOOKLET VALUE.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS HAVE SPECIFIC GUIDELINES TO DETERMINE THE AMOUNT OF TRAVEL CREDITS GIVEN TO A PASSENGER FOR DENIED BOARDING.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- TRAVEL CREDITS ARE REDEEMABLE AT ANY UA/UAX LOCATION OR TRAVEL AGENCY.
- TRAVEL CREDIT COUPONS MAY BE COMBINED PROVIDED THEY HAVE THE SAME SERIAL NUMBER I.E. ARE FROM THE SAME BOOKLET. NO RESIDUAL EXISTS IF THE TOTAL OF THE COUPONS USED EXCEEDS THE TICKET VALUE.
- VALID ON UA/UAX OPERATED FLIGHTS AND ITINERARIES WHICH INCLUDE UA GROUND LINKSEGMENTS. NO CODESHARE FLIGHTS.
- VALID TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF ANY UA/UAX PUBLISHED FARE/SENIOR TRAVELPAC. NO JOINT FARES.
- VALID FOR 1 YEAR FROM DATE OF ISSUE.
- VOID IF ALTERED OR IF OBTAINED OR USED IMPROPERLY.
- NON REFUNDABLE/NON-RETROACTIVE/NON-EXTENDABLE.
- NOT VALID UNTIL 72HRS AFTER ISSUE.
- ONLY VALID TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF AIR TRAVEL. NO CASH VALUE.
- NOT VALID IN CONNECTION WITH PTAS/TOUR PACKAGES/OR THE PURCHASE OF NON-TRANSPORTATION DOCUMENTS AND MAY NOT BE APPLIED AS PAYMENT ON ACCOUNTS.
- MILEAGE PLUS CREDIT AND UPGRADES ALLOWED USING APPLICABLE PUBLISHED FARES.
- RESERVATIONS ACCORDING TO THE RULES OF THE FARE PAID.
- NEITHER THE ISSUER NOR ANY CARRIER SHALL BE LIABLE TO THE PERSON NAMED ON THE FACE OF THE TRAVEL CREDIT IN THE EVENT OF LOSS/THEFT/OR USAGE BY UNAUTHORIZED PERSONS.
- TRAVEL CREDIT COUPONS ARE CONSIDERED VOID IF REMOVED FROM THE BOOKLET PRIOR TO TKT ISSUANCE.
- TRAVEL CREDITS ARE TRANSFERABLE ONLY IF PRESENTED FOR TICKETING BY THE PERSON NAMED ON THE TRAVEL CREDIT.
- MAY NOT BE USED IN CONNECTION WITH ANY DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE TO PERSONS IN THE TRAVEL INDUSTRY.
- TRAVEL CREDITS MAY BE USED TO PAY THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PARTIALLY OR WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET AND A NEW TICKET AT A HIGHER CURRENT FARE.
- WHEN REFUNDING A TICKET THAT WAS PAID IN PART WITH CASH/CHECK/CREDIT CARD AND THE REMAINDER WITH TRAVEL CREDITS...THE REFUND WILL ONLY BE ISSUED FOR THE AMOUNT PAID WITH CASH/CHECK/CREDIT CARD ACCORDING TO THE RULES OF THE FARE PAID. THE PORTION PAID WITH TRAVEL CREDITS WILL BE FORFEITED.
- MAY BE COMBINED WITH UA TRAVEL CERTS/UA COUPONS AS LONG AS THE PUBLISHED DOLLAR AMOUNT PRIOR TO DISCOUNT MEETS THE MINIMUM DOLLAR VALUE REQUIRED TO USE THE CERT/COUPON.
NOTE- THIS IS AN EXCEPTION FROM NORMAL COMBINATION RULES IN CERTIFICATE/COUPON PROFILES.
TICKETING INSTRUCTIONS
- ENSURE CUSTOMER MEETS ALL REQUIREMENTS STATED IN THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- COMMISSIONS APPLY ONLY ON THE ADD COLLECT AMOUNT.
- FOR TICKETS ISSUED IN CANADA - TRAVEL CREDIT MUST BE CONVERTED TO CANADIAN DOLLARS -CAD-.
- SHOW THE FOLLOWING ENDORSEMENT BOX REMARKS- VALID UA ONLY-NON ENDORSEABLE - ISSUE TICKET IN EXCHANGE FOR TRAVEL CREDIT COUPONS.
- INCLUDE IN THE EXCHANGE FILL IN FORMAT-
ORIG TKT NBR- FIRST TVL CREDIT/TKT NUMBER
FOP/MANUAL DOC- TP ACCOUNT SHOWN ON EXCH COUPON
FOP/AUTOMATED DOC- DBC
AMOUNT BEING EXCH- COMBINED TOTAL AMOUNT OF ALL
COUPONS BEING EXCHANGED -OR-
SHOW AN -X- IN EVEN IF TOTAL
VALUE EXCEEDS THE TICKET VALUE.
SHOW 0.00 AS THE TRAVEL CREDITS
TAX AMOUNT.
- INVALIDATE COUPONS BY PRINTING -EXCHANGE- ACROSS THE FACE AND STAPLE TO THE REVERSE SIDE OF THE AUDITORS COUPON.
** END OF TRVL CREDIT **
Old May 23, 2008, 2:24 pm

And also copied from here (so none of this is my text):
BillJ

UA Type A certificates

Such travel credits can, however, generally be combined with a single "Type A" certificate (such as an Entertainment Book coupon), even when the Type A certificate says "non-combineable" on its face. (This exception is usually spelled out in United's Ts&Cs for the Type A.)

Almost every Type A has this rule in its profile:

- NOT EXTENDABLE/NOT COMBINABLE WITH OTHER DISCOUNTS/
DISCOUNT NOT PERMITTED ON THE FOLLOWING:
EXCEPTION: TRAVEL CREDIT OR VOUCHER/MCO PERMITTED
- COMPANION FARES - AGENCY DISCOUNTS
- INDUSTRY DISCOUNTS - CONTRACT FARES
- BULK FARES - CONVENTION DISCOUNTS
- TOUR CONDUCTORS - CHILDRENS FARES/DISCOUNTS
- FAMILY PLANS - GOVERNMENT FARES
- MILITARY FARES - GROUP FARES/DISCOUNTS
- STUDENT FARES - YOUTH FARES/DISCOUNTS
- INFANT DISCOUNTS - TOUR BASING
- VISIT USA FARES - CS/PW DISSERVICE CERTS
- SENIOR CITIZEN FARE - CV FARES
- QRCARE EMERGENCY TRAVEL
- OTHER PROMOTIONAL PROGRAMS
*CONTRACT FARES: CORPORATE VOLUME AGREEMENTS/MEET-
INGS PLUS/AREA PRICING/INCENTIVE ZONE FARES/UNITED
VACATIONS/WHOLESALE-BULK/REACH-FOR-THE-SKIES
Old May 28, 2008, 1:39 am

Programs: ua mp
I apologize if this has been directly answered before. I have about 2 hours before United SGN closes and I am unable to complete payment on a reservation I have held.
1.) I am told I am unable to use credits from a VDB on two tickets (myself and another pax flying to same destination.) The total cost is $560 and I have a booklet of 4 x $125 coupons. I would like to use two coupons on one ticket and two on another. Is this really not possible?
2.) If it is not possible, can I use two coupons for one ticket and keep the other two coupons for future use?

Service at United SGN is just ok. I saw 3 people (Vietnamese and foreigners) fuming and storming out after having trouble with their bookings.
Old May 28, 2008, 3:26 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by tkdash421
I apologize if this has been directly answered before. I have about 2 hours before United SGN closes and I am unable to complete payment on a reservation I have held.
1.) I am told I am unable to use credits from a VDB on two tickets (myself and another pax flying to same destination.) The total cost is $560 and I have a booklet of 4 x $125 coupons. I would like to use two coupons on one ticket and two on another. Is this really not possible?
2.) If it is not possible, can I use two coupons for one ticket and keep the other two coupons for future use?

Service at United SGN is just ok. I saw 3 people (Vietnamese and foreigners) fuming and storming out after having trouble with their bookings.
What you ask to do should be possible, but I find it strange for you to have VDB coupons issued as 4x125. Usually they are 200, 400, or 600 total in four coupons (and yours total to 500). Are you sure that they are VDB credits?

Why did the agent say that you could not use them?
Old May 28, 2008, 6:05 am

Programs: ua mp
Originally Posted by VPescado
What you ask to do should be possible, but I find it strange for you to have VDB coupons issued as 4x125. Usually they are 200, 400, or 600 total in four coupons (and yours total to 500). Are you sure that they are VDB credits?

Why did the agent say that you could not use them?
Well I won the battle but might have lost the war...

I did have VDB from LAX to HKG 4 days in a row in early Jan. The coupons are 4x125 except for one day when they were just 4x100. No complaints but that United SGN has no experience with redeeming them.

Anyways, I drove 20 minutes back to the office, its now rainy season, I arrived about 20 pounds heavier due to my pants being soaked from the puddles. : ) The agent agreed to apply the coupons after checking the OSI fields which a kind USA telephone rep had filled out with details on what to do. However, she was unable to give me the fare that I had reserved, despite it being accessible from my account on United.com.

I returned home and called and spoke to two agents, neither of whom was helpful at all. The attitue was "why are you calling me?"

Awful service for a 1P customer going to 1K in a month... arg. I wish there was a better option than United sometimes.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't combine vouchers -- is this right?

I just got back from SFO where I paid for tickets for Mrs. PTravel and myself to LAS. I had three $100 vouchers that were stapled together, a separate $50 voucher and a $50 voucher for Mrs. PTravel. The very nice counter agent told me that the vouchers couldn't be combined, i.e. I could use either the three $100 vouchers that were stapled together, or one $50 for my ticket and the other $50 for Mrs. PTravel's ticket.

I've never heard of such a thing before, and I'm sure that I've combined vouchers before. The agent showed me that the vouchers said, "non combin" on them -- I thought that meant, "can't be combined with another offer."

So, is this right? It's not that big a deal. My ticket was $276, so I used 2 of the stapled vouchers for that and paid the difference. Mrs. PTravel's was $300 (I have to go on to LA after our Vegas vacation). I used the remaining $100 voucher, paid the difference and kept the two $50 vouchers for the future.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I'd go do a search on the words

Type A

and

Type B

here.

Glen
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:52 pm

Search combine then.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342377

BillJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.