Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2008, 5:07 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I don't know what you would do, but before I left home, I retrieved a GTEM cert from my bag, and handed it back with the SDs "number" (written on a baggage tag) and gave it to the agent to give to the SD.
I'm confused The SD refuses to help you, threatens to have you removed for no good reason, refuses to give you his name, and covers his name tag... And you gave him a GETM????

Even with the small dig of putting his "number" on the GETM it seems I'm missing something here?
Old May 4, 2008, 5:17 am

I didn't put his number on the GTEM. I handed back the number to the agent, which was on a luggage tag. (He wrote it down for me on a luggage tag after I asked for his name after he said he was going to annotate my record.)

I don't think what happened was right, but I'm chalking it up to an unusually bad day, plus it's a small station, and I have to go through there all the time. Maybe an act of kindness will help.

Yeah, I know it's confusing. I did just the opposite of what I wanted to do initially.

-David
Old May 4, 2008, 5:21 am
iwc

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
And I still ended up paying the extra $14. I have no idea why, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over $14.

-David
I have actually run into the same issue with a CS cert and the answer seems to be taxes that apply only to itineraries that involve Hawaii and that are passed through to the purchaser. That is why a CS$100 does not net out to a $100 discount. I don't like it but like you it was a no win situation.

I guess this makes up for the old days when CS certs were taken off the base fare and therefore the taxes were netted to my benefit.
Old May 4, 2008, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I certainly understand the small station thing. Even going out of PHL (large compared to OGG) I encounter the same folks at checkin, the RCC, and the gates all the time. Its best not to make too many enemies. However, I also know that there are some that you just aren't going to do well with and simply avoid them. Hopefully your karma will come back to you
Old May 4, 2008, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I had that 14 extra fee come up using a 200 PMO Dollar voucher for a trip to ANC. I made reservations go look up why the price has increased when they noted the record that I'd be sending it in, and giving me the final dollar amount due for the ticket (should be simple math, right) ... they said there was a tax that applies to Alaska (and now I guess we know its Hawaii too) when the voucher is applied. It took them about 15 minutes to find the right language and verify it, but its buried somewhere in their books.
Old May 4, 2008, 7:32 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
David-

You did the right thing^. It's a small island, and the "luna" was apparently on some sort of power trip. In the end, you got what you wanted, without having to scorch any earth.

I've found patience and calm being the best way to deal with the folks at the airport. They generally want to help, but don't always know how to.

And what's another trip up & down the Haleakala Highway?
Old May 4, 2008, 7:53 am
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
I think the solution to this problem is to always have your cell phone handy when doing airport ticketing. I ran into a dispute with the ticket counter in SNA who refused to reissue a RTW ticket (making up a BS line "we only do international ticketing at hubs"), but instead of arguing with them I just called the 1K desk and got an internal United "help desk" number to give to the supervisor, who at that point had no choice but to help me, because if she didn't, she knew I was just going to call the 1K desk back and ask them to escalate.

That said, I agree with you there is no point in filing a complaint about the Service Director, as it will boil down to a "you said-he said" dispute and just mean you get fewer favors in the long run. Next time just sidestep the argument altogether by letting the 1K desk be your advocate.
Old May 4, 2008, 9:20 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
To answer your question about the extra $14 charge, flights to and from Hawaii and Alaska incur some type of extra charge on tickets that might be due to taxes levied to AK and HI routings, so your final ticketing price may be $15-$25 more than the quoted ticket price after applying the vouchers.
Old May 4, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
The SD must have a bad day due to heavy workload.

Nowadays ticket-by-mail is so much better than waiting at an airport ticket counter. Unless you have to ticket immediately, otherwise, give ticket-by-mail a try. You call UA and have everything set up over the phone. Mail vouchers to:

UA Discount Certificates
Ticket By Mail
17501 Michigan Ave
Dearborn, MI 48126

Write the following on the vouchers:

1. Passenger last Name
2. Date of last segment
3. Flight # of last segment

Even with a soon expiring voucher, you still can use ticket-by-mail as long as it is postmarked on or before the voucher expiration date.

I highly suggest you making a copy of your vouchers before mailing. I have excellent result when using TBM. It has taken no more than four business days having my ticket issued from the day I mail the voucher. I have used USPS Express Mail, USPS Priority Mail, USPS First Class Mail and FedEx 2nd Day Delivery. My tickets were issued on the same day UA received my voucher.

Last night, I had a ticket issued in person at SFO at 9 pm. Surprisingly there was no one at the ticket counter #50. The CSR knew exactly what to do; bring up my PNR, take my vouchers, see my I.D., have me signing add/collect and then print my ticket. All took less than 2 minutes.
Old May 4, 2008, 9:54 am

I would have never given this SD a GTEM. I would write on the back for everyone EXCEPT said person. Agents like this need some retraining and reality check on their authority.
Old May 4, 2008, 11:20 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
If we can't even get good service from the OGG agents, then this really is going to be a long summer.....
Old May 4, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I was told VDB type B vouchers are not combinable with any other vouchers. According to Travel Credit or commonly know here on FT as VDB type B vouchers’ T&C:

1. Non-combinable/non-endorsable/non-extendible/non-refundable.

It is similar to service check’s T&C:

Non combinable/non extendible/void if mutilated.
Old May 4, 2008, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
David-

You did the right thing^. It's a small island, and the "luna" was apparently on some sort of power trip. In the end, you got what you wanted, without having to scorch any earth.

I've found patience and calm being the best way to deal with the folks at the airport. They generally want to help, but don't always know how to.

And what's another trip up & down the Haleakala Highway?
This is yet another reason I love Hawaii...peaceful attitudes even during stressful situations.
Old May 4, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
I was told VDB type B vouchers are not combinable with any other vouchers. According to Travel Credit or commonly know here on FT as VDB type B vouchers’ T&C:

1. Non-combinable/non-endorsable/non-extendible/non-refundable.

It is similar to service check’s T&C:

Non combinable/non extendible/void if mutilated.

So VDB type B vouchers are different from other (i.e. re-faring) type B vouchers? Good to know. Another thing I found out recently is that you can't use more than 3 re-faring type B vouchers towards a single ticket.
Old May 4, 2008, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by ajthegreat
I would have never given this SD a GTEM. I would write on the back for everyone EXCEPT said person. Agents like this need some retraining and reality check on their authority.
Put me in this camp too. Why you would waste one on him is beyond me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.