Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by thecmg
I knew you could do code shares thru this method but flights on other airlines? Does UA have to part of the itinerary?
I realize that this is a bit of an old thread, but I haven't seen the answer to this question posted anywhere on the boards. Does anyone have any more information about specifics here?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by martian
I realize that this is a bit of an old thread, but I haven't seen the answer to this question posted anywhere on the boards. Does anyone have any more information about specifics here?
I just looked at a Type B (refare) voucher in my possession and it clearly says:
  • Valid for travel on UA/UAX only.
  • Not valid for codeshare flights.
Does that answer your question?

If you have a Type B voucher at your disposal then the same rules should be printed on it; if they are not printed on it, then perhaps your voucher is good for codeshares.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by cepheid
I just looked at a Type B (refare) voucher in my possession and it clearly says:
Does that answer your question?

If you have a Type B voucher at your disposal then the same rules should be printed on it; if they are not printed on it, then perhaps your voucher is good for codeshares.
Yes, but what is on the voucher should be irrelevant right? The whole point being discussed here was to get around voucher rules by purchasing a refundable ticket and using that to purchase another non-United metal ticket. So, the initial question is: can a refundable ticket be used to purchase a third ticket on:
1) only United metal
2) #1 + codeshares
3) #1 + #2 + non-codeshare *A flights
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:08 pm

Yes, but what is on the voucher should be irrelevant right? The whole point being discussed here was to get around voucher rules by purchasing a refundable ticket and using that to purchase another non-United metal ticket.
I see your point. My feeling would be no, however, because the Type B voucher is listed as a form of payment. If you purchased a refundable ticket and refunded it, the cash portion of your ticket would be refunded to your CC and the voucher portion would be refunded as another voucher, with the original expiration date no less. I could be wrong but I don't believe you can just request the entire refund as another (new) Type B voucher, so I don't think you can apply the funds from the refundable ticket in the way you're thinking.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
tearing off of the booklet?

[QUOTE=WindFlyer;5643490]AYou can use any number (or all) of the vouchers in the booklet in any given transaction, but you must let the agent tear them off the booklet.
QUOTE]

Also, sorry to bump this up...

Having received a type B recently for a refare, they send it in what looks like an old paper ticket booklet. I really don't want that laying around, and was about to rip it out of hte booklet -- is this really the rule? Or is it like one of those mattress tag "illegal to remove" warnings.

Why don't I see any warning like that on my thing?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:31 pm

I see your point. My feeling would be no, however, because the Type B voucher is listed as a form of payment. If you purchased a refundable ticket and refunded it, the cash portion of your ticket would be refunded to your CC and the voucher portion would be refunded as another voucher, with the original expiration date no less. I could be wrong but I don't believe you can just request the entire refund as another (new) Type B voucher, so I don't think you can apply the funds from the refundable ticket in the way you're thinking.
This was also always my understanding of what happens. However, on the first page of this thread a few people have mentioned performing exactly this procedure to get around the "only UA metal" rule. Unfortunately, they didn't explain in much detail how they accomplished it.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
This was also always my understanding of what happens. However, on the first page of this thread a few people have mentioned performing exactly this procedure to get around the "only UA metal" rule. Unfortunately, they didn't explain in much detail how they accomplished it.
I'd also love a detailed explanation of how to do this. The rules on refundable fares make it seem like they would be refunded as Type B vouchers. I've got about $800 in Type B and want to fly Lufthansa to Germany this December. Anyone?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:58 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
ticketing with type A + type B vouchers. Are VDB vouchers really type B, combinable?

Hi all,
I have found some threads on ticketing with a combination of type A and type B vouchers (should be possible), but I have in the past run into a problem with VDB vouchers (come in 4 coupons type), and would like to sort this out for a ticket I will be buying soon.

on the VDB vouchers, it says explicitly says "treat as type B voucher", so that would seem straightforward enough that you can combine it with a type A voucher, or even other packs of VDB vouchers.

But then, it also says on each coupon, "Non-combinable", which in the past, agents have told me means that you cannot use any other voucher once this is applied to the ticket.

Which one is correct, and is there a profile to back it up? It becomes a significant issue when you want to use these certificates they give you (for hundreds of dollars) but can't, or have to apply only one to a ticket each time.

thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2008, 4:59 am

The VDB vouchers should be combinable with other vouchers from the same booklet, but otherwise, yeah, they're apparently not combinable. Refare Type Bs are combinable with other combinable Type Bs, and with a single Type A.

I don't have a specific profile, unfortunately...
Old Feb 7, 2008, 6:44 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
I've never had a problem combining a VDB with a type A.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:18 am

I am sure there is a thread on here about this, but...

If you ask the agent to into the specific file for the Type A voucher and ask them to read the section where it says that the Type A is not combinable with other discounts and then immediately after that there is almost always a line that says that VDB Type B vouchers are an exception to that rule and that they are combinable with the Type A.

Billj
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
The VDB vouchers should be combinable with other vouchers from the same booklet, but otherwise, yeah, they're apparently not combinable. Refare Type Bs are combinable with other combinable Type Bs, and with a single Type A.
This has been my experience.

Originally Posted by VPescado
I've never had a problem combining a VDB with a type A.
+1
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 2P
Combining certificates and vouchers

Hi FT,

I have a $25 discount travel certificate from Chase, and a type B voucher from a refund. Can I use these on the same PNR? Any tricks I need to use to do so?

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Yes, you can use them together. The easiest way is to book-and-hold online, then call to tell them whether you'll be paying at the airport or ticket-by-mail (those are your only choices).
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes, you can use them together. The easiest way is to book-and-hold online, then call to tell them whether you'll be paying at the airport or ticket-by-mail (those are your only choices).
Perfect. Thanks for the quick help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.