Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers, and Goodwill Certs" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2008, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by HKBelonger
Today they let me combine a VDB Type B $200 voucher with the $87 remnants of a previous VDB Type B voucher to almost cover an upcoming fare. Both had the standard "non combinable/non refundable/non extendable/void if mutilated" language printed on them.
I always thought each VDB voucher in the booklet had to be used in its entirety (the 4 coupons can be split, but no residual credit is given) -- how did you end up with $87 left over? Or am I mistaken?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by drjhwang
I always thought each VDB voucher in the booklet had to be used in its entirety (the 4 coupons can be split, but no residual credit is given) -- how did you end up with $87 left over? Or am I mistaken?
You are not mistaken.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titan., Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres
I had used a $400 travel credit (4 x $100 in a single booklet) to buy a flight that was $313. They issued me a new travel credit for the difference and reset the one year clock on it. I assumed this was standard procedure. That was at DCA as well though so maybe it's just another indication of their willingness to bend the rules for customer service.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 8:57 pm

I do not know what rules you are all referring to. CSR must have typed in the wrong code.

According to the last item on the VDB Travel Credit, No cash value/no residual balance on partially used coupons.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:17 am

I spent 2 to 3 hours at BOS and on the phone earlier this week trying to use various combinations of vouchers and kept getting shot down. Would like to confirm a few things with the FT brain trust...

I was told:
1) My PMO/DOLLARUA TIC100 was not combinable with *anything* -- no Type B VDB vouchers and no Type B refare vouchers. There is no mention of Type A or A/B on the certificate. Until now, I thought these were treated as Type A's that can be combined with Type B vouchers, but I was told differently by the ticket agent and all 3 different phone reservations reps I spoke to. I'm fairly certain I've combined this type of voucher before, but the various explanations I received were "the other agent must have made a mistake" or "it's a new policy."

2) My VDB vouchers are not combinable with *anything* other than with other vouchers in the same booklet. I was told this by the ticket agent (twice), her supervisor, and 1 of the 3 phone reservations reps. I'm certain I've combined VDB vouchers with refare vouchers, but it says right on the VDB booklet "not combinable" -- so it was impossible to argue.

Quite a frustrating experience. The FT mantra of "hang up and call again" only made me madder.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
I have been told over the phone and at airport ticket counter that type AB voucher cannot be combined with another type AB voucher. On the type AB voucher itself, it clearly states “Non Combinable”.

Since it does not have a tic code and can be used for all UA destinations. I shall try to combine two AB vouchers next time and see what happens.
I successfully combined two type AB vouchers earlier this week. I am not confident it is actually allowed by UA since the CSR is not familiar with the procedure. He asked me if he needed to input voucher information for both tickets first then issue both tickets in the same PNR. Or he should input voucher information for the first ticket, issue the first ticket and then repeat the procedure for the 2nd ticket in the same PNR.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:28 pm

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
I have been wading through the thread and don't think my particular case is covered.

I am holding a UA itinerary LHRIADBTV from .bomb for me and my family (4 PAX = me + Mrs beardedg + beardg son 1 + beardg son 2). Currently we are all on 1 reservation.

I have in my hand:
2x $100 Systemwide Travel Vouchers. Each of these has Mrs beardg's name.
2x 10% off Economy E-Certificate. One is in my name, one is in Mrs beardg's name.

I am going to the LHR tomorrow and can drop in the UA desk to pay up and use the vouchers.

QUESTION:
Since I have 4 different vouchers, and we are 4 PAX travelling on 1 reservation, can I use all 4 vouchers?

The Systemwide Travel Vouchers says "only 1 cert can be used per ticket. I assume (ha!) that since all 4 PAX will have their own ticket number (despite being on the same reservation), I SHOULD be able to use all 4 vouchers.

I could (but would prefer not to) make 2 reservations (1st for me + beardg child 1, and 2nd for Mrs beardg + child 2), but I don't want to make 4 reservations (child apparently travelling alone, blah blah).

What do you think? What does UA experience tell us???
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by beardedgeologist
Since I have 4 different vouchers, and we are 4 PAX travelling on 1 reservation, can I use all 4 vouchers?
Yes. "Per ticket" means just that, not per itinerary (PNR). There are 4 passengers on the same itinerary, but each one has his/her own ticket, hence one certificate can be applied per ticket.

I could (but would prefer not to) make 2 reservations (1st for me + beardg child 1, and 2nd for Mrs beardg + child 2), but I don't want to make 4 reservations (child apparently travelling alone, blah blah).
You shouldn't have to make more than a single reservation. A competent agent should be able to apply one voucher to each ticket without splitting the PNR. I ticketed winter travel for myself and my wife in a similar fashion and the CSR was able to apply different Type A vouchers to each of our tickets without splitting the reservation.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:47 pm

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Thanks for the quick reply. The most important bit for me was that you had already successfully acheived it for Mr & Mrs cepheid (2 PAX, 1 PNR, 2 STVs spent).

Now I just have to hope for a "competent agent" at LHR ticket desk tomorrow....
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:56 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. The most important bit for me was that you had already successfully acheived it for Mr & Mrs cepheid (2 PAX, 1 PNR, 2 STVs spent).
To be clear, I didn't use STVs. I used PMO/DOLLARUA vouchers (and combined them with Type B refare vouchers, to boot). However, your STVs should function the same way.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:30 am

Well here's what happened...

LHR ticket office was closed (after mid-afternoon).

So I called and spoke to an agent (India) - he was talking rubbish and tried to re-price the fare about 20% more expensive, and then he cut me off (luckily!)

I phoned again (India), and got a relatively good agent. I was able to use one each of the STVs for each of first 2 PAX. Since the 3rd & 4th PAX were not using STVs he changed me the f***ing 10GBP telephone booking fee for PAX 3 & 4. I'd been on the phone for about 20 mins, and I couldn't face calling again so after some wrangling with the supervisor I have paid the GBP 10 fee. Aggggggh.

I didn't want to split onto multiple PNRs, and don't think that would have helped anyway (the kids are 4 & 6 and I am sick of multiple PNRs where we don't get seated TATL together...)

So, all up, at the end of the day, each $100 STVs has saved a GBP52.5 (should have been GBP62.5.)

QUESTION: Once it is ticketed, I am going to ask for the 10GBP back - how should I do that?

(I'll use the other 2 e-Certs for another itinerary.)
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Combining Cash Vouchers

I have four $200 vouchers. Will I have any problem combining them so I can purchase two $400 airfares? I was reading on the back of the voucher that one voucher can be used for one ticket.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:01 pm

The link above is the best place to go. However, what type of vouchers are these? Are they Type A, Type B, or Type AB? Do they have a profile code (e.g. PMO/DOLLARUA) on them? Some vouchers are combinable, some are not, and we need to know both of these pieces before we can tell you what we think.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Since when are you able to use any type of e-vouchers at the counter anyways ?

I would recommend to call UA web support (US phone #) and the agent will book it for you without any issues and extra fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.