Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:45 pm
iff

Originally Posted by Sterndogg
I had a busted light and broken tray on a LHR-IAD flight last week in E+ along with three days of cancellations trying to get over to London...no compensation (although my submission wasn't a complaint - more of an observation and trying to understand their rebooking methods with elite status and booking fare). Response was, "we'll pass along your comments to our in-flight maintenance team." So it goes...
On December 23 CDG-ORD, not only did the flight leave 6 hours late (in real time, not their "official" time) apparently due to baggage handler strike and shortage of de-icing fluid, but the light/video/audio for my E+ seat were nonfunctional. UA offered me a $150 US domestic certificate, but all of my flights are international so I have no use for it. When I said as much, their response was basically "those are our guidelines and they already exceed other carriers' for similar situations" and "you can transfer it to someone else." Pffff.

Granted, I have no status, but still... I regret having paid for the E+ upgrade only to have a nonworking light.

Regarding the delay, we were all handed international mail-in forms at the gate. The email followup said they'll be crediting my account "with the appropriate mileage", whatever that is--I guess I'll know within 30 days when it posts.

(To United's credit, they did have our hotel vouchers ready for us upon arrival in Chicago as nearly everyone on the flight missed their connections, and I appreciated that.)
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Sitting in F on the p.s. SFO-JFK. No specials 2x. Got the thanks for letting us know reply 2x.

Technically it might be considered 2010 since we spent New Years in the air [yes - intentionally in the air] but 1) we did land in 2011, 2) I think meals were served after midnight and 3) I complained in 2011.

Cheers -
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iff
On December 23 CDG-ORD, not only did the flight leave 6 hours late (in real time, not their "official" time) apparently due to baggage handler strike and shortage of de-icing fluid, but the light/video/audio for my E+ seat were nonfunctional. UA offered me a $150 US domestic certificate, but all of my flights are international so I have no use for it. When I said as much, their response was basically "those are our guidelines and they already exceed other carriers' for similar situations" and "you can transfer it to someone else." Pffff.

Granted, I have no status, but still... I regret having paid for the E+ upgrade only to have a nonworking light.

Regarding the delay, we were all handed international mail-in forms at the gate. The email followup said they'll be crediting my account "with the appropriate mileage", whatever that is--I guess I'll know within 30 days when it posts.

(To United's credit, they did have our hotel vouchers ready for us upon arrival in Chicago as nearly everyone on the flight missed their connections, and I appreciated that.)
If you have an international mileage plus address, you should be able to get an international cert very easily. I am surprised at their response. Can you do a cut and paste of their email?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:51 pm
iff

Originally Posted by panjfj
If you have an international mileage plus address, you should be able to get an international cert very easily. I am surprised at their response. Can you do a cut and paste of their email?
Hmm, perhaps that's the problem--the address in my account is my US billing address, since I usually buy my tickets on ua.com with a US credit card. I live in France and could just as easily give them my French mailing and billing address if needed. My response to their original offer did not specifically mention that, so no doubt they think I live in the US.

Dear Ms. UA Customer Service Rep,

Thank you for your response and for the gesture of the travel
certificate; however, because I spend most of my time in Europe, my
flights are usually international (including the one for which the
certificate was issued), so unfortunately a certificate limited to
domestic US travel is of little use to me. If possible, an
international certificate or perhaps an international round-trip upgrade
to Economy Plus would be much more useful.

In any case, I thank you again for your time and response.

Best regards,
iff

-------
Dear iff:

I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your request for alternate
compensation. All things considered, we do support our earlier decision
to offer you the compensation my colleague presented. Although you
mention the certificate is not conducive to your travel you may transfer
it to a person of your choice.

I understand this is not the answer you hoped for however I am not in a
position to over ride our compensation guidelines as they are properly
aligned to several determining factors and exceed other carrier's for
similar related situations. Your feedback however will be very helpful
to us as we evaluate our guidelines going forward.

While, you may still be dissatisfied with the policy, the survey is
intended to improve my abilities as a representative of United. I value
your feedback and hope you walked away very satisfied with my service.
If you feel I could have been better in handling your request, please
reply to this email, which will be escalated for further review to
ensure we have done everything possible.

Regards,

United Airlines Customer Relations
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Sitting in F on the p.s. SFO-JFK. No specials 2x. Got the thanks for letting us know reply 2x. -
What is/are2x? And how do its/their lack of merit compensation?
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:09 pm

I'm in the middle of a same-day, 8 segment run. MDT-ORD left 90 minutes late due to "aircraft servicing" (which I assume means a mechanical problem). We arrived 80 minutes late, and I missed the next segment (ORD-MKE), which will also mean that I miss the MKE-ORD return.

(1) Am I entitled to Original Routing Credit for a misconnect (as opposed a weather-related cancellation, for which I've gotten ORC with no problems)? If so, do I still go through Mileage Plus? The RCC folks weren't able to help me out.

(2) Am I entitled to any further compensation for the mechanical delay/misconnects? Based on skimming last year's compensation thread, I can't tell if a 80-90 minute delay means that I should expect an "appreciation" e-mail, send a complaint e-mail on my own, or let this go (and be happy with ORC assuming I even get it).
Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: Freelancer
I'm in the RCC waiting for my LAX-SFO portion of my segment run on a 757. It's about boarding time and I look out at the gate and the 757 appears to have shrunk in the wash rack. Equipment swap to the A320, so I walk up to the counter for damage control. New boarding pass is printed out and I feel the sting of moving from F to E- on a now totally full flight. Oh well, UA giveth, UA taketh away.

Turns out United did me a favor and double booked that seat. RCC agent was very helpful getting later flights in confirmed F. I was offered 5,000 miles or $400 dollars in vouchers. Lost 2 segments but overall I'm pretty happy.

I'm hoping this is a new style of promotion where UA pays me to fly them.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:37 am

S/O's ORD/LGA flight delayed this morning for ~ 2 hours. Swapped out planes due to original going mx. F cabin rec'd skykits.

Now, question. She's a vegetarian. her MP profile says Veg. But it didn't make it to the "sheet" so there's no veg meal for her. Is it worth another email to customer relations? She says the FA is not very friendly in regards to this.

Whats the point of putting veg in your profile if it doesn't make it to the reservation data?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Jan 9, UA836 PVG-ORD-MEM (NC) cancelled at airport. Rebooked as PVG-YVR(AC26, C)-DEN(UA NF)-MEM, tight connection at both intermediate airports and my checked bag did not make it. 1kvoice offered $350 Ecert.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: General member, former 1P
Short: Frozen beer can debacle/spill/spray on UA260 IAD-MCO on 1/21/11. Was given a PAOA card. Offered 7,000 miles, 10% off or $150 off. I took the $150 e-cert.

Long: The FA brought a can of Heineken to me at my seat in F -- my second beer of the flight. The first one was slushy but opened fine.

The second, however, started foaming and overflowing off the top of the can faster than I could sip it off. My attempt to mitigate the situation by opening the can the rest of the way resulted in me spraying beer on my neighbor. Classy, huh?

The flight attendant brought over towels (both paper and cloth) and helped me clean up the mess. My neighbor was very magnanimous about the whole affair, which included him having to stand in the aisle for a couple minutes while the FA and I did the cleanup.

The FA gave my neighbor and I both PAOA cards without being asked. Frankly, my neighbor deserved one a lot more than I did.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Was booked on a YQM-YYZ-ORD-SFO three-class F award, flying today. AC Jazz YYZ-ORD flight was canceled and AC rebooked me on their YYZ-SFO nonstop in J. I called the 1K desk to be offloaded from the UA flight so someone else could have my seat. I was told difference in miles would be redeposited in my account. Instead, I just got this pleasant surprise in my e-mail:

Choice of 17,500 miles / $400 Region 1 e-cert / 20% Systemwide Economy e-cert

Of course I took the $400. All this for the hassle of a downgrade from the UA F suite to AC J, being out the 10K miles' difference, one fewer connection, and getting home a half-hour later. I already have my compensation and I'm still sitting in the AC MLL waiting to get home. ^^^
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards,many FF programs
Smile Why I was compensated and what I got

1/21/2011 - Flight 729 diverted to Charlotte for mechanical. New plane had to be sent, hence almost 5 hour delay. They offered me by e-mail 3 choices-7,000 FF ,e-cert for $150 or 20% off future flight. I chose the e-cert as have been flying domestic recently on my own $$.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:16 pm

When a FA hands out a skykit, is there anything coded in that serial # about the flight, pax, etc? Wondering if one enters the serial # from a MP account that has status, would that yield a larger compensation amount, even if that account isn't the pax?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:55 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by hellyea
When a FA hands out a skykit, is there anything coded in that serial # about the flight, pax, etc? Wondering if one enters the serial # from a MP account that has status, would that yield a larger compensation amount, even if that account isn't the pax?
The "skykit"/little grey form compensation is driven by status and I believe also length of flight but the question you need to ask is: was the pax with higher status on the flight?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:21 am

Volunteer Needed

I want to do an experiment and I need a volunteer who has an unclaimed appreciation card.

I want to see whether booking code affects the compensation given.

I am 1K (for another week) and flew the following flights last week:
IAD-SFO in NF (2-class) upgraded from T
SEA-IAD in Full Y
The flights are roughly the same duration and mileage.

I received one appreciation card on one of the flights and am wondering which flight to apply the claim. If anyone would like to participate, I'll claim the forms for the two flights and you can keep the higher value compensation (if there are different offers). PM me if interested. (Or has this been done before?)

Edited to add: Results!
With the help of a gracious volunteer - appreciation card for both flights generated the same compensation ($200 ecert). Preliminary conclusion: booking code does not affect compensation on flights of similar duration.

Last edited by whistler814; Jan 24, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.