Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K the Hard Way--EQS Qualifiers Unite!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM / Hilton Diamond
Million Milers

I would like to hear from the Million+ milers in the crowd.

I have made 1K for the past eleven years on segments. (All domestic). Never did a mileage / segment run, also never made anyone elses lowest status. Just flew UA a bunch. I may have hit 100K miles once. Can't remember. Never made 120EQS, except for this year by chance.

I will hit the million mile mark first quarter of next year, so will have Premier Exec staus for life. My job status is very steady and it is likely I will continue this pace of travel for years to come ( I anticipate ten more years of this)

I am debating the necessity of pushing to meet the new qualification criteria in order to make 1K. I can stay Exec for life and never fly another UA segment. This would free me up to sample the other programs and see whats what.

Is it unreasonable for me to suggest that UA should make an effort for this level of frequent flyer to maintain our loyalty? What is the value assessnet of losing 100+ segments and corresponding revenue vs making a gesture (of minimal financial impact) to encourage million milers to stay? (grandfather clause - some version of that theme perhaps)

I have always felt that the investment / reward equation with UA was a fair one. I have been treated well on all but a few random flights, and have been supportive of flight crews and gate agents whenever possible. It's been a good relationship. I have never felt that I was not being treated fairly, with the exception of the EQ change.

To the million milers - what are your plans?
thx
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My reply from 1K voice for a letter sent last week:

Hello ExCrew,

We're always glad to hear from 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.

I'm sorry you're disappointed with how 1K status will be earned beginning in
2011. We increased the segments for 1K in order to align the top thresholds
in the Mileage Plus and OnePass programs.

Thank you for choosing United and Mileage Plus.

Xxx Xxxxx
United Airlines

------

Holy schnikes! Could that reply been more "form letter" or canned?

Dear Sir and/or Madame,

Sorry you don't like our recent "enhancements" to our award winning Mileage Plus program. We changed our program to best fit the needs of the new United, not yours. We look forward to seeing you on a future flight.
In conclusion...bye.

United Airlines

Yeah. This will be my last year as a 1K. Who needs companies who don't appreciate my business? Not me. What a joke this airline is becoming.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
Originally Posted by benblaney
There are too many 1Ks; we know this because sometimes as a 1k I don't get an upgrade.
I would think too many 1K's is a good problem to have. In this situation you just upgrade the 1K's that pay high fare classes and force those that buy L and S fares in the back.

In reality I would think the largest cost to UA for a 1K are the SWUs. So who is more costly to UA--those people that get 1K after a handfull of ORD-HKG-ORD flights and then use up all their SWU's on those flights or the 1K that gets it by flying Q fares on ORD-DCA-ORD and uses their SWU's to upgrade on an A319?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ExCrew
My reply from 1K voice for a letter sent last week:

Hello ExCrew,

We're always glad to hear from 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.

I'm sorry you're disappointed with how 1K status will be earned beginning in
2011. We increased the segments for 1K in order to align the top thresholds
in the Mileage Plus and OnePass programs

Thank you for choosing United and Mileage Plus.

Xxx Xxxxx
United Airlines
What's really disingenuous about this canned reply is the bit about "in order to align the top thresholds" If OnePass had already been at this same level, this would at least be a reasonable argument (don't agree with it but it would be logical to either move OP down or MP up in such case). Yet, the new threshold is higher than either program currently has. So to word it as "to align" the two is sort of glossing over the matter.

Dividend Miles has the same 4 tier setup with 120 EQS at the top. But as mentioned upthread AA is (for now at least) remaining the same for EXP.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by 1KSEA

I have made 1K for the past eleven years on segments. (All domestic). Never did a mileage / segment run, also never made anyone elses lowest status. Just flew UA a bunch. I may have hit 100K miles once. Can't remember. Never made 120EQS, except for this year by chance.

I will hit the million mile mark first quarter of next year, so will have Premier Exec staus for life. My job status is very steady and it is likely I will continue this pace of travel for years to come ( I anticipate ten more years of this)

I am debating the necessity of pushing to meet the new qualification criteria in order to make 1K. I can stay Exec for life and never fly another UA segment. This would free me up to sample the other programs and see whats what.

Is it unreasonable for me to suggest that UA should make an effort for this level of frequent flyer to maintain our loyalty? What is the value assessnet of losing 100+ segments and corresponding revenue vs making a gesture (of minimal financial impact) to encourage million milers to stay? (grandfather clause - some version of that theme perhaps)

I have always felt that the investment / reward equation with UA was a fair one. I have been treated well on all but a few random flights, and have been supportive of flight crews and gate agents whenever possible. It's been a good relationship. I have never felt that I was not being treated fairly, with the exception of the EQ change.

thx
Very interesting point here. I can make 120 segments (I'm at 110 with only one more 4 segment flight left this year) next year with a little more "creativity" in my flight planning, but a post likes this gives me something to think about. Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by snapper6768
Wait a minute, how many people out there do you think fly 35-50 EQS each year that also benefited from the DEQS promo last year and are sitting at 1k because of that. Instead of needing to fly one R/T every week those who fly only once every two weeks would be qualifying.

It worked both ways
No it's not. There are 1Ks who made it this year with DEQM/DEQS promotions both ways. But, the point is there will be a natural reduction in number of 1Ks for 2011 without having to penalize 100 EQS flyers, since 100K EQM flyers arre not impacted. This sword is cutting one way only.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:41 pm

This is all about EQM/EQS parity to accommodate the 4th tier. Segment flyers are a very small % of 1Ks and associated revenue compared to EQM qualifiers. I would be very surprised if there are changes with this anytime soon.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:08 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by 1KSEA

thx
I've been 1K since 1995. Am now at almost 1.4MM BIS. Qualified for 1K by segments every year except last year when 2 DEQM periods put me over on miles. Expect to end the year with about 110 EQS.
1K used to require 85 segments, then was upped to 100 to match the number of EQMs x1000. Not happy with the bar being raised 20% in one swoop.
(Don't know why most majors dislike segment flyers.) Most of my flying is short-haul, West Coast; so lots of UX.

My aim is to stay 1K as the benes and treatment have largely been great (96% clearance rate on UDU, including with spouse) yet I regard 2011 as a pivotal year. By next year's end, we should know much more of whether this merger will indeed offer us the best of both carriers, as I hope, or whether UA will morph basically into a branch of CO.

Early into next year, I'll decide the best strategy on 1K requal. Fortunately, I have some travel flexibility so if UA doesn't relent on the 120 EQS or offers no bridge or transition for us long-time 1Ks, I can fly a whole lot less often and just do the 100K EQMs. If that's the way UA likes it, maybe I will too; but I really empathize with the angst of the segment flyers, as I'm basically one of 'em.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: UAL (1K/MM), SPG (Lifetime Platinum)
Who has the most EQS on this board?

I'm at 152.5 and will be at 165-ish by end of year. I fly west coast to east from a small UAL hub so almost always need to connect at least 1 stop and sometimes 2 depending on where I'm headed on a given week. I too am not happy with this change and could would guess that my UAL revenue is 5-7X what my revenue would be flying Intl. a half a dozen times a year as these flights are not cheap.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
152 EQS this year. I think they should have kept it at 100. If they raise it then why not 120 EQM too?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:37 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
While I never have flown close to 100 segments*, I stand solidly with my 1K brethren and support your cause**. I included negative feedback about the new requirements in my letter to UA corporate about the general devaluing of 1K.

*The most I've ever flown was 80...I do not envy you folks that do.

**Even though it does technically 'help' me with the 120 requirement...I just think it's BS.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Many thanks for those 1Ks that empathize with our plight and have written to 1KVoice on our behalf.

As OceanView1K has written, there should be some bridge or "grandfathering" of this new requirement for those of us who have stuck around here. 2011 will be my 6th year as a 1K. It would be nice if they found a way to accomdate us "oldies,"...but I won't hold my breath.

Based upon the email reply I received from 1KVoice team (posted up thread), I doubt anyone in charge really give 2 poops about us segment fliers. Sad.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
I got the so sorry response from 1k voice today

We’re glad to hear from one of our most loyal customers. Not many can say they’ve flown more than a million miles! Thanks for writing.

I'm sorry you're disappointed with how 1K status will be earned beginning in 2011. When we looked at ways to harmonize the Mileage Plus® and OnePass® programs, we landed on logically spaced intervals (30 EQS, 60 EQS, 90 EQS and 120 EQS). This provides meaningful differentiation between the segment-based thresholds and the benefits offered.

Thanks for contacting us with your feedback on the Mileage Plus® program. We appreciate receiving customer comments, and will pass them along to our marketing department for inspiration. Your ideas and suggestions help us keep the program interesting and valuable.

Regards,
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
[QUOTE=I'm sorry you're disappointed with how 1K status will be earned beginning in 2011. When we looked at ways to harmonize the Mileage Plus® and OnePass® programs, we landed on logically spaced intervals (30 EQS, 60 EQS, 90 EQS and 120 EQS). This provides meaningful differentiation between the segment-based thresholds and the benefits offered.

Thanks for contacting us ... keep the program interesting and valuable. [/QUOTE]

First, the "interesting and valuable" part is just offensive.

Second, I just don't believe the 30/60/90/120 explanation. As I wrote further up, I think UA has calculated (guessed) that it has more to gain in revenue from incenting people to reach 90 EQS than it has to lose from offending a certain number of 1Ks. They are hiding behind that explanation. That's not surprising, it's just disappointing.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
Another "Iron Man" 1K here

Been a 1K since 1999, qualified every year on Segments. I fly from ORD, so no connections, which means flying 50RT every year.

unless united can figure out how to get 60 weeks in a calendar year...there is no chance for me to make 1K ever again. I expect to hit 1MM early next year....then it's off to AA for me...who BTW have something similar to EXPLUS on the RJ's...

so long united...it has been a pleasure for the past 11 years, but I will be at T3 starting in Jan every Monday morning....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.