1K the Hard Way--EQS Qualifiers Unite!

Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K; HH Diamond; HGP Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Silver
1K the Hard Way--EQS Qualifiers Unite!

OK, so I saw a couple of people mention on the main MP/OP changes thread that it might be a good idea to start a new thread for those who made 1K (or will like me this year) on doing 100 or more EQS to post and perhaps be counted (and heard) by United folks in light of the 20% increase in segments required to make 1K in 2012 -- from 100 to 120. Someone specifically mentioned that United thought this was a relatively small number of people. Of course, that raises a question in my mind that if it was such a small number, then why mess with it? Then again, logic is never something that applies well to airlines, I guess.

Anyway, my story: new job requirements this year forced me to start flying a lot for business. So, I flew segment number 97 tonight (DCA-ORD) and will be on 98 tomorrow (ORD-SAN) for vacation. Will make 100 next week on my usual ORD-PHL near-weekly RT bus ride to work. I will end the year with 107 segments, absent unexpected travel, but that will only add up to about 90,000 miles, thanks for a OGG and a handful of SFO/LAX-ORD trips. But when it comes down to it, I will have flown practically EVERY WEEK this year. I only remember a single flight where I connected (i.e., 4 segments for a RT) and I got a couple of segments total from 4 FC bonus flights. Flying this kind of schedule for 2011, it looks like I get to be a 1P+, I guess, in 2012, after enjoying my year 1K year in 2011. I thought MP was supposed to be a LOYALTY program... If choosing to fly United practically every week isn't loyalty, then what is? But I guess it's "Thanks for playing!" Any lovely parting gifts, Johnny?

So that's my story. Fellow 1K EQS'ers, make yourself known here on FT.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:12 pm

Programs: Freelancer
I had a good shot at making 1K next year with segments. With the 120 EQS requirement I'm going to have to settle for 0P / 1P+.

I wish they would bump up the bonus on full Y fare segments if the EQM requirement for 1K is staying at 100K.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
I hit 100 segments this past week with 4 more segments expected this year. Next year will likely be same level of flying.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
I think the move to 120 could be costly for UA.
The big reason why 1K should be no more than 100EQS, I believe, is that segment qualifiers may be more likely to live in non-hub markets -- and thus are more likely to have choices to go elsewhere. We have to connect to get anywhere, so could easily choose to connect in Dallas or Atlanta instead of Chicago or Denver.
Some segment qualifiers may even be located in hub cities for other airlines but are willing to buy UA tix all the time because of the 1K carrot.
When the qualifier becomes 120, there's less incentive and those with choices may well go elsewhere.
You'd think UA would want to keep those people feeding their hub flights but going to 120 gives them no competitive advantage.

Last edited by DesertRat; Nov 21, 2010 at 11:30 pm
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:22 pm
btr

Programs: IHG, MP, Enterprise+
Count me as a cost.
I routinely made 100 EQS, but 120 is out of reach, and I'm taking my EQSs elsewhere.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I thought this was a thread about craps....
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:35 pm

Angry UA losing another 1K over 120 EQS Requirement

Count me in as a very upset 2011 1K... I sent the email below and I'm planning to send a letter directly to the CEO's office as well.

Here's what I sent via email:

Dear Customer Relations,

I have flown United 2x a week for the last 18 months. I am finally earning 1K status this year and was looking forward to enjoying the benefits of it for 2011, and earning it again for 2012.

That was, at least, until you decided to raise the EQS requirements for 1K to 120 EQS. I understand that you were trying to make the requirements "in line" with the other levels, which also have different segment requirements.

But this logic is seriously flawed.

At some point you have to look at the total value a customer is going to bring you and decide if that's enough value to make them 1K. If the baseline is miles then let's look at a simple comparison:

I could earn 100,000 miles by flying roughly 20 transcon trips, and spending as little as $6000 with you-- possibly a lot less depending on my routes and layovers.

To earn the 100 segments I will have earned this year, flying from SNA to SFO roundtrip, every week of the year, I will have spent around $10,000.

The net result is that someone who flys 20 roundtrips valued at $6,000 will earn 1K next year, while someone who flys 52 roundtrips and spends $10,000 will not.

So now I've spent 18 months flying United, being a loyal, apparently stupid, customer-- only to be told that if I am just as loyal next year as I have been the last 18 months...well, sorry... that's not quite going to cut it.

That is simply wrong. As happy as I was to have finally be at the point where I will hit 1K status this year I am now at the point where I am ready to cut up my card when I get it and send it back to your corporate headquarters with a promise to never fly United again.

I know they are not going to change their policy based on my frustration and disappointment but at least I'll know that I am not supporting a plan that is clearly flawed.

Please don't write me back with a hollow apology, or a lame justification for why you've made this change. I'm not interested in hearing explanations or excuses-- this change is simply wrong. If you'd like to write back telling me you're going to change the policy, give me 20 bonus segments, make an exception for people who fly single segment trips, etc. then I'm all ears.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
I'm not thrilled with it either. But let's face it... United is run by MBAs not bean counters. They don't realize that the money is in the short domestic routes that we'll pay $3-500 to fly short notice weekly. They some how think they will build an airline out of 5,000+ mile flights. Personally I think United should just put the nail in their coffin now, cancel all domestic flights and declare themselves the greatest international carrier in the world. They should fold up shop before the end of 2011 and we'll be done with them and can move on to a carrier with a more realistic approach to running an airline.

I'm sure next year they will be wondering why their bottom line is hurting. No idea what happened. Time to get a fresh new team of MBAs in to figure it all out.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 21, 2010 at 11:38 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
should reach 115-125 segments this year (~125k EQM too).
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:29 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by reddirt14
I'm not thrilled with it either. But let's face it... United is run by MBAs not bean counters. They don't realize that the money is in the short domestic routes that we'll pay $3-500 to fly short notice weekly. They some how think they will build an airline out of 5,000+ mile flights. Personally I think United should just put the nail in their coffin now, cancel all domestic flights and declare themselves the greatest international carrier in the world. They should fold up shop before the end of 2011 and we'll be done with them and can move on to a carrier with a more realistic approach to running an airline.
Wow...and do you think with that much less competition, that carriers will make it cheaper or more rewarding to fly? Let's take it to an extreme...one carrier only exists, the level of incentive programs would be zero...why have them, you have a captive audience. The more competition, the greater the need to compete.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by incguy
Count me in as a very upset 2011 1K... I sent the email below and I'm planning to send a letter directly to the CEO's office as well.

Here's what I sent via email:

Dear Customer Relations,

Though I broadly sympathize with your plight, if that's really the email you wrote, I expect it will get rather short shrift. It's highly emotional, is based on some fairly specious logic, and has a confused voice (passive, active; first person, third person).

Originally Posted by reddirt14

I'm sure next year they will be wondering why their bottom line is hurting. No idea what happened. Time to get a fresh new team of MBAs in to figure it all out.

Their bottom line is better than it has been for years, which somewhat undermines your argument.

For one thing, airlines have terrific data on who flies, from where to where, how many connections they take and how much they pay. I'm willing to bet that the change in EQS is based on substantial and solid information.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 22, 2010 at 7:26 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
here's an idea:

raise the minimum mileage to 1000EQM for 1K's (they can keep the RDM at 500). Then the 120 EQS should be moot for the pure UA metal flyer.

It'll make maintaining 1K easier, but force newbies to still hit the 120 mark.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:50 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by bniu
here's an idea:

raise the minimum mileage to 1000EQM for 1K's (they can keep the RDM at 500). Then the 120 EQS should be moot for the pure UA metal flyer.

It'll make maintaining 1K easier, but force newbies to still hit the 120 mark.
Not a bad idea, if mileage was based on O&D, not segment by segment. And this would also slaughter hidden city benefits...you don't fly the ticketed route, you get no credit. Im sure on the IT side, with misconnects, schedule changes and all else, it would be a nightmare to implement (with my modification to your suggestion.) I like creative solutions. ^
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: United 1k - Hilton Diamond
I am with you all. I make 1K and that is all on domestic trips, so to ask for 20 More flight is total garbage. AA in Chicago needs only 100 . The only thing that holds me back from AA is E+ I am 6ft 4 so it does make a big difference for me. Its a shame I have felt real loyalty to UA.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by DesertRat
I think the move to 120 could be costly for UA.
The big reason why 1K should be no more than 100EQS, I believe, is that segment qualifiers may be more likely to live in non-hub markets -- and thus are more likely to have choices to go elsewhere. We have to connect to get anywhere, so could easily choose to connect in Dallas or Atlanta instead of Chicago or Denver.
+1 this fits me to a T. I tend to have some longhaul but a large quantity of short domestices. Granted, with some of my work travel I don't always have a choice but often I do. Certainly for personal trips, several carriers have relatively equal service frequency and generally comparable pricing from my home airport (DAY). What's more, at least with AA or DL I would have some mainline connecting service options. Plus I have CMH and CVG within an easy drive that I can and do utilize when needed.

I won't quite make 1K this year but it was looking like next year was quite do-able - until this change. 100 EQS was looking within reach, barely, but 120 is a bridge too far.

I'm with you though!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.