Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K the Hard Way--EQS Qualifiers Unite!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Unfortunately, I haven't made 1K the past 2 years, but made it the 3 years prior all on segments. As others have related to above, I flew out of a hub without a connection. ORD-NYC nearly weekly (~46 weeks out of the year) which only nets out to around 70,000 miles. United is saying all this flying (plus a couple personal segment runs to put me over) isn't good enough to qualify for 1K?!

There are only 52 weeks in a year, so even an every week direct flier tops out at 104 segments unless they want to get creative with routing and fly even more than what they already are...which is every week in the year! It doesn't make sense.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:42 am
Suspended

10 year 1K - VERY UNHAPPOY looking for other option

I have flown 100+ segments each of the last 10 years and still can not believe that UA will stick with this increase - I can tell you without a doubt it would be easier and less expensive for me to fly 20 R/T LAX-JFK then 100+ segments LAX-ASE LAX -SFO.

PLEASE United roll this back to 100 segments !!!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Some prior discussions of segment qualifying. Some of them perhaps a bit moldy but maybe still of interest:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-segments.html
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum 1 MM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I've made 1K 7 out of 11 years with segments. This year I will finish at 130 segments and probably just cross the 100k EQM. I am not happy about the bar being raised and wrote to 1kvoice - no reply mind you. Personally, I think the EQS for 2P should be 25, 1P should be 50 and 1k should be 100. Then it is all consistent.

If it's too hard to do next year, I will consider SWA out of Denver.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
I'm 1K on segments and thinking if I have to get to 120 for 1K, why not go for 140 to obtain Diamond Medallion on Delta which includes free RCC equivalent.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
If they're worried that segments are too easy (I'm assuming for the non-hub 4 segment/trip qualifiers out there), what about re-thinking segments completely? Switch to round trips as the qualifying metric (make one-ways .5). That way the weekly direct travelers aren't at a disadvantage.

Or heck, just put a dollar target on each level, which is what they're indirectly trying to get at anyway.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
If this is the worst thing that comes of the merger I'll consider that we fared pretty well. Having said that, I doubt that it will be the worst thing to come and I can certainly sympathize with those who will fall into this zone. Flying roughly 50 weeks out of the year is absolutely brutal and I can't believe UA doesn't care to retain the loyalty of such folks. Bad move UA/CO.

FWIW, I'm self-employed and shifted from a remote project to a local project a few months back and as a result will end the year with north of 100 EQS but less than 120 EQS. However, I'm well north of 100k EQM so this will not directly impact me this year.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Love this thread

Thanks for bringing it up. This is the only change (so far) that really has me upset. I'm 1K MM and doing it by EQS. I don't understand in what universe the would not want to give this recognition and benefit to someone who commutes, back and forth, every week, between ANY two places, on their airplanes.

Angry.

Thanks again.

Count me in!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Plat
71,924 EQM on 106.5 segments currently. I will finish the year at 115.5 EQS (assuming nothing goes wrong and I'm not re-booked into Y on any segment ). I will end the year at around 82,000 EQMs. In the new world, this will not be enough for 1K.

At first, I was pretty annoyed about the new segment requirement to retain 1K to 2012 since I made it this year on segments. But thinking ahead, I will have a trip or two to Europe next year, plus I will have 500-mile minimums on each segment (I was GM to start this year), so it's likely I have a better shot at 1K next time on miles instead of segments because of the new requirements.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
We all know why the segments went to 120. CO was 30/60/90 segments for SE/GE/PE levels. However, when CO was running the show alone (prior to *A), you got 2 segments for premium fares (all F and Y and B). I use to make PE flying B fares from CLE to LGA because each RT was worth 4 segments. You can all do the math. It only took 45 RTs on B fares to make the 90 segments.

Fast foward to joining *A. All of a sudden, the EQPs dropped from 2 to 1.5 for premium fares.This meant that the number of RTs jumped from 45 to 60 in order to qualify for PE. El sucko. So, for years I made PE by segments (mileage was around 72K) but after that, I now make it both ways (segments and mileage).

Now fast foward to the newest levels. UACO wants to make the 1k (CO PE+) 100k miles, and of course that would take 120 segments using the above ratios. It may not unreasonable if you are given 2 segments for your premium airfare, but mighty difficult if you are just getting the 1.5 segments.

The solution? Reinstitute the 2 segments for premium fares. Unfortunately, I think that this may violate some obscure *A rule, although I am not certain of this. The chance of this happening?? Nil.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Anyone who has read some of the 1,000+ posts on the recent changes to MP in another thread knows I've chimed in about 20 times about this horrid decision to raise EQS.

A reminder to anyone who this affects: please write in to UA customer service. 1KVoice is the email at united.com for 1Ks. Take the 5 or 10 minutes it will take to let UA know we're not happy with this change. Hopefully, UA will hear our voices.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
Another very upset person - Average 110 to 115 eqs the last 16 years. Never one year over 120, and only 2 years of the 16 over 100k miles.

This means, if I keep my current patterns, with all that loyalty, I will be flying Delta, as 2+ flights a week as a prem exec is not worth my time.

Really poor move on UA's part, IMHO.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: UA - 1k, AA - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum, SPG - Gold,
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by GlencoeGuy
OK, so I saw a couple of people mention on the main MP/OP changes thread that it might be a good idea to start a new thread for those who made 1K (or will like me this year) on doing 100 or more EQS to post and perhaps be counted (and heard) by United folks in light of the 20% increase in segments required to make 1K in 2012 -- from 100 to 120. Someone specifically mentioned that United thought this was a relatively small number of people. Of course, that raises a question in my mind that if it was such a small number, then why mess with it? Then again, logic is never something that applies well to airlines, I guess.

Anyway, my story: new job requirements this year forced me to start flying a lot for business. So, I flew segment number 97 tonight (DCA-ORD) and will be on 98 tomorrow (ORD-SAN) for vacation. Will make 100 next week on my usual ORD-PHL near-weekly RT bus ride to work. I will end the year with 107 segments, absent unexpected travel, but that will only add up to about 90,000 miles, thanks for a OGG and a handful of SFO/LAX-ORD trips. But when it comes down to it, I will have flown practically EVERY WEEK this year. I only remember a single flight where I connected (i.e., 4 segments for a RT) and I got a couple of segments total from 4 FC bonus flights. Flying this kind of schedule for 2011, it looks like I get to be a 1P+, I guess, in 2012, after enjoying my year 1K year in 2011. I thought MP was supposed to be a LOYALTY program... If choosing to fly United practically every week isn't loyalty, then what is? But I guess it's "Thanks for playing!" Any lovely parting gifts, Johnny?

So that's my story. Fellow 1K EQS'ers, make yourself known here on FT.
I'm in same boat. Been 1k for probably 11-13 years now, ALL of those years (except 2 - 2008 and 2009..tied to economic conditions) I flew >100 EQS -- and that's just on UA. I'm not looking for any pat on the back, but it's pretty tough to make it work on UA alone (especially when flights are cancelled due to equip failure, no crew, small loads, etc.). I'm on a planes just about every week and apparently, UA doesn't want me as a loyal flyer anymore. Sad and to think I've had their backs for the past 15 years.

Keep in mind, I'm based out of ORD, so it's not as if I'm making 25 RT's / year and qualifying. I'm hard pressed to think that I'm putting together a EQS run, so I can keep my 1k for 2011. I need another 15 or so EQS to make it work. Maybe have to run up and back to MSP from MKE via ORD a few times.

Will the madness ever end?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: United: Global Service; Marriott: Platinum Premier; Hertz hertz president's circle
120 EQS. Is this industry standard?

120 EQS. Is this industry standard?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
As predicted by LarkSFO in the other thread, this thread quickly withers and dies after only a few dozen posts. How sad that most EQM qualifying 1K's are quickly mollified by the reinstitution of their CR-1s while us hard-core segment earners are left out in the cold. That's ok, just wait until the next round of "enhancements" are announced and they decide to chop just a little bit more....and then a little more...

The message from UACO is clear: A 100K mileage flyer who spends as little as $3000 is more valuable than someone who flys 50+ times a year at often last minute fares.

The result is that for the first time in 15 years I am seriously considering other carriers. WN and F9 are viable alternatives out of DEN and starting Jan I'm giving AA/Alaska a try for SFO/SEA - I've already booked a ticket.

Sorry UA; I guess you don't want my $20K next year. I'm sure there is somebody who will appreciate it more than you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.