Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K the Hard Way--EQS Qualifiers Unite!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mrswirl
As predicted by LarkSFO in the other thread, this thread quickly withers and dies after only a few dozen posts. How sad that most EQM qualifying 1K's are quickly mollified by the reinstitution of their CR-1s while us hard-core segment earners are left out in the cold. That's ok, just wait until the next round of "enhancements" are announced and they decide to chop just a little bit more....and then a little more...
As someone who always makes 1K based on miles, not segments, I have already written to 1K Voice about the increase to 120 segments. You segment warriors have always been the true 1Ks in my mind -- your schedules would test even my patience and love of flying. So my hats off to all of you.

Here's my question: why the increase? I can't possibly believe that it's easier to make 1K based on 100 segments than 100,000 miles, especially with the availability of credit card EQMs. And as many of you point out, I would imagine that, except for the business travelers who regularly fly full-fare C-class on TPAC and TATL flights, segment-based 1Ks yield higher revenues for UA than mileage-based 1Ks. Surely there's a rational (thought crappy) business decision behind this; I just can't figure out what it is.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mattinsf
Here's my question: why the increase? I can't possibly believe that it's easier to make 1K based on 100 segments than 100,000 miles, especially with the availability of credit card EQMs. And as many of you point out, I would imagine that, except for the business travelers who regularly fly full-fare C-class on TPAC and TATL flights, segment-based 1Ks yield higher revenues for UA than mileage-based 1Ks. Surely there's a rational (thought crappy) business decision behind this; I just can't figure out what it is.
The only "justification" so far presented (as reported by fastair) is that UACO wanted to squeeze in the new 1P+ (75K EQM /90 EQS) level and the feeling was that "90 is too close to 100" so they raised it to 120 for 'consistency'.

Doesn't sound to me like a whole lot of thought actually went into the decision.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
doing the math for 2009 I did around 125000 miles with 85 segments, something like $7800 of revenue to United. This year I will end around 128 segments, 105,000 miles, with around $11,000 revenue to united. More segments and less miles but United just told me I am worth less to them for the segments. I guess its their way of saying goodbye.

I wish I didn't have to start over with Delta, I have done one match already.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold
1K customer service needs to hear from all of us.
It is very disappointing that they do not value flyers that are on their planes
nearly every single week of the year. Like many others (I assume) a fair number of those segments were on packed/uncomfortable region jets. I will not put up with those next year if they keep the bar at 120.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other
Originally Posted by DesertRat
I think the move to 120 could be costly for UA.
The big reason why 1K should be no more than 100EQS, I believe, is that segment qualifiers may be more likely to live in non-hub markets -- and thus are more likely to have choices to go elsewhere. We have to connect to get anywhere, so could easily choose to connect in Dallas or Atlanta instead of Chicago or Denver.
Some segment qualifiers may even be located in hub cities for other airlines but are willing to buy UA tix all the time because of the 1K carrot.
When the qualifier becomes 120, there's less incentive and those with choices may well go elsewhere.
You'd think UA would want to keep those people feeding their hub flights but going to 120 gives them no competitive advantage.
I am a case in point. I live in a DL hub city but continue to fly UA and make 1K on segments. 120 is out of reach, barring some generous 2xEQS promos, and will likely result in my getting a status match to DL in 2011. I have been loyal to UA by making 1K about 6 times in the past 8 years but will take my $20K/year business elsewhere. UA does not appear to want me.

If however, they want to make me GS as a top 1% or 3% or whatever in my market, I would gladly stay.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Here is the lame response I recieved from 1kvoice when I expressed my displeasure with the changes.
I am planning in seeking a status match in January unless changes are made.

We’re always glad to hear from 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.
I'm sorry you're disappointed with how 1K status will be earned beginning in 2011. We increased the segments for 1K in order to align the top thresholds in the Mileage Plus and OnePass programs.
Thanks for contacting us with your feedback on the Mileage Plus® program. We appreciate receiving customer comments, and will pass them along to our marketing department for inspiration. Your ideas and suggestions help us keep the program interesting and valuable.
Regards,
[employee name removed by moderator, per FT Rules]

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 22, 2010 at 3:15 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q69
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by NewTravler888
120 EQS. Is this industry standard?
Directly from the AA.com website, American is still at 100 EQS for EXP (1K's equivalent at AA). United, AA's most direct competitor, was kind enough to make the leap the 120 EQS for re-qualification.

Thanks UA. FAIL
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by radonc1
We all know why the segments went to 120. CO was 30/60/90 segments for SE/GE/PE levels. However, when CO was running the show alone (prior to *A), you got 2 segments for premium fares (all F and Y and B). I use to make PE flying B fares from CLE to LGA because each RT was worth 4 segments. You can all do the math. It only took 45 RTs on B fares to make the 90 segments.

Fast foward to joining *A. All of a sudden, the EQPs dropped from 2 to 1.5 for premium fares.This meant that the number of RTs jumped from 45 to 60 in order to qualify for PE. El sucko. So, for years I made PE by segments (mileage was around 72K) but after that, I now make it both ways (segments and mileage).

Now fast foward to the newest levels. UACO wants to make the 1k (CO PE+) 100k miles, and of course that would take 120 segments using the above ratios. It may not unreasonable if you are given 2 segments for your premium airfare, but mighty difficult if you are just getting the 1.5 segments.

The solution? Reinstitute the 2 segments for premium fares. Unfortunately, I think that this may violate some obscure *A rule, although I am not certain of this. The chance of this happening?? Nil.
Here's what I say: Economy-> 1 EQS; Full Y/C->1.5 EQS; 3 class F -> 2 EQS
It's a bit absurd how 3 class F earns so little based on the fare premium.

Actually, how about this scheme:

For Newbies, make the levels 30/60/90/120 KEQMs or 30/60/90/120 EQS
For Renewals, make it 25/50/75/100 KEQMs or EQS

This way, it makes the people who want to move up a level fly more to "prove" their loyalty and rewards the already loyal ones with discounted renewal rates.

And for anyone with 400 EQS, I say just give them GS

Originally Posted by ExCrew
Directly from the AA.com website, American is still at 100 EQS for EXP (1K's equivalent at AA). United, AA's most direct competitor, was kind enough to make the leap the 120 EQS for re-qualification.

Thanks UA. FAIL
But AA does have the EQP scheme, where deep discount fares tend to cancel out the benefits of premium fares, I suppose the scheme rewards CONSISTENT premium fares, but doesn't do much for once in a while premium fares. AA's EQMs == BIS

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 22, 2010 at 7:13 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The only "justification" so far presented (as reported by fastair) is that UACO wanted to squeeze in the new 1P+ (75K EQM /90 EQS) level and the feeling was that "90 is too close to 100" so they raised it to 120 for 'consistency'.

Doesn't sound to me like a whole lot of thought actually went into the decision.
I'd bet anything that you hit on the only real "justification" they have. The response hoohoo got from 1K voice seems to back that up. Maybe UA looked at it as "hey our 3rd tier is now only 90 EQS" but that's cold comfort when there's a new 4th tier. And why the need for an additional tier anyway.

I just fear this isn't the worst to come. At best, though, it makes AA more attractive.

What about crediting to other *A carriers - any good alternatives?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other
Originally Posted by DCdave
1K customer service needs to hear from all of us.
It is very disappointing that they do not value flyers that are on their planes
nearly every single week of the year. Like many others (I assume) a fair number of those segments were on packed/uncomfortable region jets. I will not put up with those next year if they keep the bar at 120.

That is true. Many of my 100 segments each year are on RJs. I guess the cost to UA of having another 1K is not justified by the 100 EQS. The cost, however, is not too great for a 1K riding on an RJ that has no F! What does it cost? Possibly a ticketing fee for using the 1K line instead of booking on line? A same day stand-by fee?

How much does it cost to have an EQS qualifying 1K reach 1K vs. an EQM qualifying 1K? Many domestic fliers won't even use the SWUs they get.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 1 MM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle

UACO should make the 75k level be reached at 75 segments. Even for this level, 90 is too high.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Avis First, Sbux Gold
I qualified for 1K on segments last year and will do the same this year.

This new policy will make me look at booking flights on other Star Alliance carriers. They, not UA, get the revenue, but I still get the segments
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA platinum prom United Silver, Marriott Titanium lifetime, Hilton Diamond
Angry No more 1K

I made 1K in 2009 with the double post of segments, this year will fly 103 segments after a 6 leg MR on a Saturday. With daughter going Peace Corp route in 2012 was looking forward to the SWU for trip to visit her but doubtful with a minimum 120 segments. Send my email to 1K voice but do not expect anything. The enhancements so far remind me to US when they merged with AW and I left them. guess I am shopping but choices are limited
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marr Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by hoohoo
Here is the lame response I recieved from 1kvoice when I expressed my displeasure with the changes.
I am planning in seeking a status match in January unless changes are made.

We’re always glad to hear from 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.
I'm sorry you're disappointed with how 1K status will be earned beginning in 2011. We increased the segments for 1K in order to align the top thresholds in the Mileage Plus and OnePass programs.
Thanks for contacting us with your feedback on the Mileage Plus® program. We appreciate receiving customer comments, and will pass them along to our marketing department for inspiration. Your ideas and suggestions help us keep the program interesting and valuable.
Regards,
[employee name removed by moderator, per FT Rules]
I received the same email as hoohoo and was very disappointed. I'm at 113EQS right now and with what I have scheduled through the end of the year I'll end up at 125EQS. But with the cavalier attitude towards us, I'll be looking elsewhere for my 2011 $ spend.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I'm currently at 153.5 Segments and 77045 miles for the year. Every one of my flights has been 2 flights to get to and from my client site. For some time there was an Airbus between ORD and CMH, but now i'm always on a ERJ 170/145 or Canadair 200/700. Never anything big to Syracuse now for me.

I might still have 2 or 3 more travel weeks for the year putting me around 170. This is the first year i've made 1K for the fact that i am not going to work in a major city, but always pass through ORD or IAD now onto my final destination. I may or not make it again next year, but it would be much nicer to know i didn't have to fly 4 flights a week to get to 1K for the future years and get it on direct flights, with very little personal travel to get the 1K mark.

It just really sucks if there isn't any Elite Choice either, that's my only "bonus" miles throughout the year since the 500 per segment is minimal in building up miles. The CR-1s were nice to know i would get as well with segments (20 500 mile segments) and not more miles than i've flown in a full year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.