Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K the Hard Way--EQS Qualifiers Unite!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:38 pm

Location: Commuting between LGA-YYZ most of the times, other than that, ARN, CPH, HEL, FRA or BKK
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP
i'm one of the guys making 1K on segments thanks to my busride LGA-YYZ on AC every week. See a lot of UA*G on those rides. Whenever possible I'm trying to route myself on either CO via CLE or UA via IAD.. however at 120 I'm not so sure I want to do that every week.
I'll reevaluate at mid year and see where I'm at, and if it seems possible I'll go for it. Otherwise I'll consider going to the dAArker side... however that doesn't seem like a good alternative either. DL perhaps?

How is DL really? Never tried them so far...
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plt Premier
I've been a 1K for 5 out of the last 6 years. All five years I made it was because of segments and only one of those years did I have more than 120. This is very disappointing.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:40 pm

Interesting article re Small Airports

This definitely has an impact on segment jockeys...

Some interesting points in the article. (you do need a free subscription to NYTimes.com to access this.) I was not aware that the Federal Gov't provides $200M in subsidies to support service to smaller airports...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/01/bu...ports.html?hpw

Small Airports Fear Being Left Behind as Costs Squeeze Carriers

"Residents of some of America’s smaller cities may face a tough choice in the future: pay increasingly high fares to board a plane close to home or drive farther to a bigger airport with lower ticket prices."

"Since airlines typically fly turboprops and 50-seat jets on the routes that connect outlying communities to big hubs, the higher cost of fuel and other expenses gets split among fewer passengers. Carriers are retiring these planes because they are unprofitable as oil prices climb."

"According to data compiled by Mr. Boyd, who has been hired as a consultant to the airport, Traverse City has the sixth-highest fares out of the top 175 airports in the United States — tickets cost about 23 cents per mile flown compared with about 16 cents at Newark."
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: CO Plat, HH Diamond, UA 1P
Put me in the disappointed column as well. Since I fly a lot, but not very far, I depend on segments. This year I could do 100, but will struggle to get 120. Plus I just found out that Great Lakes Airways miles don't count for status and you get no segments, even though they are listed as *A. Would AA be that bad?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by ConcreteQA
Put me in the disappointed column as well. Since I fly a lot, but not very far, I depend on segments. This year I could do 100, but will struggle to get 120. Plus I just found out that Great Lakes Airways miles don't count for status and you get no segments, even though they are listed as *A. Would AA be that bad?
With IAH as your base, UACO seems to be the logical choice...

Any hub (my case SFO) of a major leads to some level of a 'captive' audience...

I am still planning to try the Plat challenge (I was going to do it the first half of the year, but am now putting it off so I will get full 2012 Plat with the challenge). I also want to give AA a try, and this seems like a reasonable way (time / cost) to do it. We'll see, I am still going to maintain status on UACO too - either 0P or 1P...
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM / Hilton Diamond
Question Segment Qualifiers - Half year status

This ones been quiet for a while. Now half way through the year and interested to hear from the the segment qualifiers on how its going.

I decided to be aggressive with the segments and get ahead of the pace. Now at 80. Did it by opting for some double connections on outbound legs of trips. Extra legs add up that way. Not costing any more money, in fact typically save a few dollars in the process. Cost is time and potential aggravation from increased opportunity for mechanicals / weather, the usual stuff.

Not sure if United really thought this through. I'm occupying more seats on more flights, but they are not making more money. Just aggravating a loyal long term customer.

So will make 120 segments this year, but not sure if I will be interested in repeating this strategy in the future, especially after reaching 1MM so now have lifetime premier exec status.

Anyone else still trying to qualify for 1K on segments?

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it myself." - Sir Winston Churchill
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
Sitting at 76.5 right now. Still not sure I will hit 120 EQS. Will hit 100 EQM in October.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:05 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, SPG VIP
I have hit 79 segments this year and will make 1K, but on mileage not segments (about 6k short right now). I have enough flying this year to give a lot of my business to AA and then use UA occasionally for biz travel and mostly for very low price leisure business. AA by far is getting the bulk of my premium fares and so I will hit EXP around August 19th.

I am going to spend a few months at the end of this year doing some comparative travel as a 1K versus EXP and then decide what I want to do for 2012. I have been a UA guy for so long that it's hard to think about switching but I have enjoyed AA this past 7 months, even as a Plat, so if EXP is that much better, it will be hard to potentially commit to 20% more flying segments for the same status (or maybe slightly less status due to having GS in front of 1K).

If segments were still at 100, the choice to stay with UA would be a lot easier.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:20 am

Programs: AA CO US WN Marriott Hilton Holiday Inn Wyndham Hyatt Avis Budget Hertz National
Originally Posted by 1KSEA
This ones been quiet for a while. Now half way through the year and interested to hear from the the segment qualifiers on how its going. snip.....
The life of a short haul flyer. I would not waste time trying to accumulate segments.

Why don't you request a 1K challenge? It may even be retroactive to your 60th segment. Ask if there is a 1K challenge that you can participate in, show your flight history, mention that you are a short haul flyer and accumulating EQM is hard. I did this with CO and I will have gold next week with 42 EQP and 28.5K EQM. My Challenge was I I had to fly 22 segments or 17.5K miles in three months retroactive to May -- even before I had requalified for Silver! As soon as I hit this challenge, I'm going to request a Platinum challenge, which in CO land is 90 EQP and 75,000 Miles.

I think since May I had 22 segments and 22x500= 11,000 EQM. They appreciate regular customers. Good Luck.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
My battles

I will be at 80 by the end of September. Would hit 100 by end of 2011. I think I will try to 40 segs in 12 weeks but that is alot of flying in winter.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
80 BIS EQS and about 87k EQM so I will make it via both.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM / Hilton Diamond
Unhappy

Good info. Thanks for the feedback. Seems like the end result is they are encouraging some of us to test the waters elsewhere and see what happens. Might be worth a look for me as well. I really wasn't interested in shopping around but the move to 120 segments is a big motivator. Safe Travels.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Not sure I'm going to make it this year. I've been grounded for the last 2 months due to a medical issue and I'm only at 35K EQM and 40 EQS for the year.

Unless there's a DEQM this year I'll probably slide back to 1P.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond,
"fee" the friendly skies

I've made 1K in 9 of the past 10 years, only by EQS. I'd make 100 this year but not 120. Nearly all of my flying is on Skywest EMB 120s ("Texas Lawn Darts"). Just was flying one today and wondering how many actual flights I've taken on those crappy little planes--must be close to 900 or more.

That's a lot of loyalty and a lot of money over 10 years. My minimum fare for a 4-segment trip now is $400 and more typically $500-$600. To reach 100 segments would cost me about $12500. Maybe UA doesn't see the same revenue return with flights operated by the regional carriers and that's why they don't value me as much as a customer.

What frustrates me the most about my eventual return to 1P is all the little fees, most notably the $75 fee for standby. Really?!? I'm gonna spend $10-$13K with you this year and you're gonna stick me with a fee to take an empty seat on a plane?

I often joke (make that "joke") that being a 1K just gets me the service that EVERY paying passenger should get. Customer service at UA is so bad that being 1K merely makes it tolerable to fly with them all the time. But joking aside, what's the value in being loyal to UA if you can't make 1K? The best benefit is E+, which you get at only 3P.

I hope that everyone who has been affected by this change has written to complain. For once it'd be nice for them to make things easier/better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.