Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by emanon256
After spending extra personal money on United this year, just so I could requalify for 1K and earn my CR1s next year, I feel like it's a slap in the face to learn that I will not be receiving the 2 quarterly CR1s any longer. The least they could have done was announced this loss of benefit for 2012, so we can make informed decisions about how we fly next year, but announcing it after most people have re qualified and United now has our money is simply disgraceful!

Also, as someone who has been having to do a lot of regional hops on puddle jumpers since August, and most likely through Dec 2011, 120 is now out of reach.
I have to agree that this was a crappy time to make this announcement.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by TimInSF
This is a HUGE devaluation for 1Ks.

What a disappointment, and how offensive to try to spin it as anything but a reduction of current benefits.

This does NOT bode well for the future.

Tim
QUOTE AT THE LINK ON THE BOTTOM OF EMAIL FROM UA:

"THERE'S MORE TO COME"

I can't wait
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by channa
+1

With CO's hand in things, I was fearing worse. While this is still technically a hit for many UA 1Ks (we'll get 4 CR1s vs. 8), it could have been worse (CO had 0).
Agree COMPLETELY. I have been scared waiting for my email announcing that CR1s were going away.

FWIW, I thought the existing UA system of 8-10 CR1s + UDUs was a bit too generous, and therefore, unsustainable. This strikes me as fair - and is still better than competitor's programs.

I also figure they were going to get one big "negative PR venting episode" card to play in this transition, and this was one of the big misalignments between the two programs. So, I'm kind of happy to see the card play out now - I personally hope it's a good sign for things like SWUs & E+.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
So even more tiers to the already 'running of the bulls' boarding process!

Is it going to have 3/4 1K printed on your boarding pass!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I'm not heartened by the fact that there is absolutely no mention of E+ in this...
Gahhhh...I hadn't even thought about that omission. Hopefully just not included in the announcement.

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Worst thing in all of this is the SWU being deposited when you hit 1K. So when you hit 100,000 EQM, you get 6 SWU and 2 CR-1s right then. I'd prefer the SWU to still post at the start of the year.
This is a really big problem for me. It will especially be an issue in when I have 12 (or maybe 14) SWUs to burn between Jan 2011 and June/July 2012.

Originally Posted by usa18dca
Get off your high horse, no...
I actually don't see a really big problem with this. Since CO is implementing a 100k tier, wouldn't the following upgrade priority on CO metal make sense:

CO P 100k, UA 1K, CO P <100k, UA 1P 75k, CO G, UA 1P standard, CO S, UA S ?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
A note in support of UnitedPR,

His job is hard, and I think there are a lot of whiners on FT expecting that, for whatever reason, we deserve to know things before the general public does.

Folks, while we love miles, we are not an official lobby group! We don't deserve special advance notice. Sure, we appreciate direct communication. And we have respect for straight-talk (rather than sugar coated "enhancement" language). But come on! The majority of elites out there will not be incensed by all this. In fact, the majority of elites probably won't even be aware of this at all.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

I also figure they were going to get one big "negative PR venting episode" card to play in this transition, and this was one of the big misalignments between the two programs. So, I'm kind of happy to see the card play out now - I personally hope it's a good sign for things like SWUs & E+.
Let's be clear, this was just the top card of the deck. And there's no indication that it's their trump card either.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by PcolaPaul
geesh this thread is full of gate lice *stands back waiting to be bashed* You know the best way to complain about the changes? Change alliances! If you feel you have to work harder for the same thing next year on *A then go to Delta's or another alliance.
I disagree. When UA tried to take away CR1s last year, it was quite effective to vent on this thread, followed by emails to 1kvoice, as well as facebook and twitter messages. If a portion of the people had just left, we may not have CR1's today.

I hope people complain about these changes - just don't limit it to the FT board. Use facebook, and of course email 1k voice.

Post your responses here from 1k voice.

My suggestion is to ask for a pair of CR1's every 25k miles for anyone who had 75k+ eqm's the year before.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Prem, DL Plat, CO Plat, Torrid Diva,Rascal House (free cookies!), TWA Ambassador 183506503
has anyone made a chart detailing the gains and losses?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thumbs down This is CO

Originally Posted by Biff98
Ahemmm......

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What a horrible development. I just got my email and thought I'd check FT. I'm VERY glad to join my FT brethren in displaying our SEVERE distaste to these developments.

I *HATE*, I mean with a passion, HATE when companies try to tell me that making my experience WORSE is actually BETTER and NEW. It makes me feel like:

- The company is trying to hoodwink it's customers
- The company is treating me like a child
- Attempting to evoke the exact opposite attitude I have towards the information.

Dear United PR,
I know you're only doing your job, but JEEZ, to us "true" travelers here on the forum, couldn't you have at least said something like,

"Ok guys, I know this isn't going to be good news for you, but here's what's coming down the pipe."

I think you would have gotten a LOT warmer reception here on the forums. We all understand the game is going to change with the merger, but COME ON.

I live in Denver, I've been a loyal United flyer for years, but I am just NOT that premium or frequent of a flyer. For folks who do 120 EQS or easily 150K BIS these rules probably don't affect the much, but it's a huge effect on me, and:

I'M GOING SHOPPING FOR A NEW AIRLINE.

Not saying I'll find one given my situation, but I'M LOOKING.
Hello, people.

CO has been acting like this for long time.

When they installed 50% EQM on cheap fares, CO claimed it's "a benefit".

Whenever I see "ENHANCEMENT" from CO, I felt some cuts are coming.

Wake up. CO master is at its best again.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
My Email to 1KVoice

"I can not believe the email I got from you this morning which boldly said:

"1K members:
SEE HOW THE ELITE PROGRAM UPDATES BENEFIT YOU"

How, may I ask does anything contained in this email benefit a 1K? Makes me want to look around to other carriers.. maybe that is the benefit.

Buzzman
MP No. xxxxxxxxxxx"
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by kb1992
Hello, people.

CO has been acting like this for long time.

When they installed 50% EQM on cheap fares, CO claimed it's "a benefit".

Whenever I see "ENHANCEMENT" from CO, I felt some cuts are coming.

Wake up. CO master is at its best again.
undo the merger!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
The only thing that I find weird is that they increased the EQS to 120 while keeping the mileage requirement for 1K at 100K.

Otherwise the changes don't bother me at all. We nearly lost CR1's a while back when UDU started, and with Onepass having none we could have fared worse - ie lose them again. I never use all my CR1's as it is.

And my advise for anyone who is planning to switch to another FF program because of this is "fine, go ahead". But if you really are in it for the longhaul it doesn't help your lifetime miles levels to switch every time something gets devalued a bit. I would argue that apart for the 1K segment flyers this is not a big deal, and with nearly 1.4k million lifetime miles I am not going to switch over to AA - that in my opinion would be really nuts.

It seems like UA and CO are aligning themselves somewhere down the middle of the road on matters where previous practices were different. I am waiting to see what is going to happen to E+, if we lose that then the merger will have been a true devaluation for UA flyers. This, on the other hand, seems to be peanuts.

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hobo13
Let's be clear, this was just the top card of the deck. And there's no indication that it's their trump card either.
+1

And given the reaction by CO folks, it's unclear that UA/CO would even consider this bad PR...
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It looks like 75-100K and 150K+ customers will win for the most part with these changes. Segment masochists and 50-75K folks have the most to lose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.