Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why Does C/NC Space Show For Domestic (non p.s.) UA Flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
airbus 320 has business class? .bomb error? plane change?

so im looking at flights from lax to iad on may 13. one of the flights that im looking at shows f3 and c3 but its on an airbus 320. so i go back and ask for business class in the search options, and that flight comes up and the price is $600. (a usual occurrence for a flight without c to show the f class when looking for business class). however i go back to search for first class, the same flight comes up, and i click on it...$1600. has this ever happened to anyone? has the plane been changed but just not updated where it states the plane type? are there any planes that have c class that fly from lax to iad? or is .bomb just that screwed up?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
In general, any flight in the 800 or 900 series, even if it's a 2-class plane, will have C inventory because it's technically a continuation of an international flight.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
It's probably a fight number continuation of a TATL flight. UA does this, for example LAX-CDG, through ORD, the domestic leg is on a 757, but it's booked as a direct flight with one stop.

It can also happen when flying from the US-Mexico. They book C, D, and Z on Mexico routes instead of F (AA does the same thing), I believe so the IFL's don't get too crowded with people traveling to Mexico.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
this is the case when a flight has the flight number that is continuing on Overseas or has come in from overseas.

This is very common in flights from UA hubs.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
There is no seperate C class on domestic aircraft (P.S. being the exception). However, C is a valid fare class on the flight, used for those flying internationally connecting onto that flight. So, unless I am mistaken, you can't buy a C seat LAX-IAD, but a full fare business ticket going from, say, SYD(-LAX)-IAD, for example, will book into the LAX-IAD segment as C class, with seats in the F cabin.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emcampbe
There is no seperate C class on domestic aircraft (P.S. being the exception).
There are some 3-class widebodies that fly domestic routes, too. (p.s. - it's separate, not seperate.)

Last edited by mahasamatman; Apr 23, 2009 at 10:39 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
so does that mean since its carrying intl pax who likely have used swu's or paid for f the whole way, i will unlikely clear an upgrade?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There are some 3-class widebodes that fly domestic routes, too. (p.s. - it's separate, not seperate.)
It's widebodies, not widebodes
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
It's widebodies, not widebodes
Fixed.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:37 pm

As part of a reward ticket I am traveling on OZ First from ICN to LAX. I then connect to UA843 LAX-ORD and UA417 ORD-YYZ. The itinerary confirmation says both UA flights are in First. Of which I have my doubts.

I know that UA has some 3-class planes that fly domestically but according to their website it is mainly JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO.

Another thing that also confuses me is that UA843 continues from ORD to GRU. Does this mean UA843 (LAX-ORD) is a 3 class plane with a true F class?

To make matters worse I have read a number of UA threads and find people using the term Domestic F and Domestic C but don’t really understand the true difference between them.

Can anyone tell me if UA843 LAX-ORD is a 3 class plane with true F, if so how greatly does Domestic F differ from Domestic C.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 16, 2010 at 10:42 am Reason: retitled thread
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
UA has a habit of giving the same flight numbers to domestic legs of international flights. For example, UA 935 is an international (3-classs) 777 from LHR-LAX and then a domestic (2-class) 757 or 767 from LAX-HNL.

"Domestic C" is used to describe flights taken on 3 class cabin aircraft on a domestic route (for examlpe, a p.s. flight between JFK and LAX/SFO or on the limited routes where UA operates a 3 class aircraft between hubs).
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Unless there is an equipment swap, you will be on a two class plane in F. There are a few domestic three class birds (in addition to the JFK market), but those are getting rarer.

The seat on UA three class C is always better than two class F. The service is reported to be better in two class F than three class C. But I've never really though of it all that different. I would therefore go for seat over service.

That said, there are other options (if you are willing to change some flights)

1) Reroute yourself to LAX-JFK/LGA-YYZ. Mind you, you will have to change airports in NY, but you will get transcon PS F.

2) Reroute LAX-IAD-YYZ. If you don't mind overnighting in LAX, there is a morning LAX-IAD on a three class 777.

3) Reroute LAX-YVR-YYZ on AC. I think there are still some international C products on the YVR-YYZ sector.

4) Catch a nonstop on AC LAX-YYZ. It would save a lot of hassles, and the service will be just as good, if not better, than the UA F (two cabin) flights.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
As much as I love a good p.s. C/F flight (while I can still upgrade it) - not sure if I'd recommend option #1. Going from JFK to LGA is much more of a bear than a mere terminal switch.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
Unless there is an equipment swap, you will be on a two class plane in F. There are a few domestic three class birds (in addition to the JFK market), but those are getting rarer.

The seat on UA three class C is always better than two class F. The service is reported to be better in two class F than three class C. But I've never really though of it all that different. I would therefore go for seat over service.

That said, there are other options (if you are willing to change some flights)

1) Reroute yourself to LAX-JFK/LGA-YYZ. Mind you, you will have to change airports in NY, but you will get transcon PS F.

2) Reroute LAX-IAD-YYZ. If you don't mind overnighting in LAX, there is a morning LAX-IAD on a three class 777.

3) Reroute LAX-YVR-YYZ on AC. I think there are still some international C products on the YVR-YYZ sector.

4) Catch a nonstop on AC LAX-YYZ. It would save a lot of hassles, and the service will be just as good, if not better, than the UA F (two cabin) flights.
Thanks for the clarifications on domestic F and domestic C.

As I am using a AC-Aeroplan Reward ticket I am pretty limited in terms of space on the LAX-YYZ routes. Another limiting factor is my arrival time from ICN on OZ.

I thought about the LAX-JFK-LGA-YYZ option but that would mean an overnight stay in New York which I really don’t want to do.

The best alternative is to fly OZ First – ICN-ORD and then ORD-YYZ but there is only 1 seat in F and I need 2. But that is another story.

Will keep checking with Aeroplan to see if any other options come up.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, UA 1mm,HHonors Diamond
Why is there NC4 on an A320

Flight from ORD to CUN 1/28 and Return to 1/31. Haven't seen this before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.