Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why Does C/NC Space Show For Domestic (non p.s.) UA Flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Does C/NC Space Show For Domestic (non p.s.) UA Flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
8xx & 9xx domestic 2-class flights are extension of an international 3-class flight. J/C/D/Z/NC/XC are all listed for the convience of the connecting international passagner -- they are not bookable by the domestic only traveller.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:33 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
929 is BRU-LHR-ORD-SEA. C/J exists for a customer who wants to purchase LHR-SEA, for example.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:35 pm

It is a continuation of UA929 from LHR with a change of gauge in ORD, so C and J seats are for sale on UA929 from ORD->SEA and will seat in the F-cabin on the 752
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Euroboy
It is a continuation of UA929 from LHR with a change of gauge in ORD, so C and J seats are for sale on UA929 from ORD->SEA and will seat in the F-cabin on the 752
Thanks all.... That makes sense now. The biggest question - seems to me that I should avoid booking such flights when planning for UDU, as if they are a continuation of an international flight, there's higher likelyhood of F/C pax continuing on, right?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by compwhiz
Thanks all.... That makes sense now. The biggest question - seems to me that I should avoid booking such flights when planning for UDU, as if they are a continuation of an international flight, there's higher likelyhood of F/C pax continuing on, right?
I doubt it. While, on paper, it's a continuation of an international flight, there's a much greater chance of passengers from other international destinations to ORD where they'd connect to your flight, and most pax flying LHR-ORD are probably going to connect to different cities anyway.

The best bet for UDUs is the type of plane - a 757's gonna be a much better bet than an A320 or A319, since there are 24 F seats, compared with 12 and 8.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by compwhiz
if they are a continuation of an international flight, there's higher likelyhood of F/C pax continuing on, right?
Why? That assumes the pax are going to SEA. If they are going somewhere else, they get off the plane. It's far from obvious that this makes a difference.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
NC and NF on domestic segment of 2-cabin UA 8xx/9xx flights

What is the difference between NC and NF on a domestic segment of a continuing "international" flight using a 2-cabin aircraft?

I'm looking to upgrade with CR1 on a 752 flying IAD-SFO on flight 977 (I believe continuing from DXB, but with plane change). Flight is NF0 and NC4, but UG with CR1 is waitlisted. Should it clear...or does NF space need to open first?

Thanks for any info.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
If you're connecting from an international flight that has business class (any int'l flight..doesn't have to be the flight with the same flight number) and you're upgrading both segments using the same instrument (ie miles or a SWU) then you'll have access to the NC inventory on the domestic flight. If you've just booked the domestic flight as a stand alone you need NF inventory. Occasionally you'll see NF0 but NC>0 on those flights which means international travelers could snag an immediate upgrade but domestic travelers cannot. But usually NF=NC.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:08 pm

That's what I thought...thanks for clearing it up for me.

Cheers.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
A few similar threads for additional reading (some moldier than others):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...c-flights.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-0-nc-0-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...upgrade-y.html

And one that might apply in part:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:15 pm

Thanks...I had done some searching but had not seen those threads.

I called 1K Res. and they confirmed that to upgrade to domestic F, you need NF>0 ... NC>0 doesn't cut it.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Modern 49er
Thanks...I had done some searching but had not seen those threads.

I called 1K Res. and they confirmed that to upgrade to domestic F, you need NF>0 ... NC>0 doesn't cut it.
Not necessarily!

I had a confirmed NF SFO-BOS on a 757. There was a schedule change (new 8xx flight number, same times, still a 757), and the system automatically put me in NC, with the same seat reserved in F. I called to 1K reservations to double check, and the agent told me this can, and does happen even on purely domestic itineraries.

Last edited by wxguy; Jun 4, 2010 at 6:51 pm
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
Not necessarily!

I had a confirmed NF SFO-BOS on a 757. There was a schedule change (new 8xx flight number, same times, still a 757), and the system automatically put me in NC, with the same seat reserved in F. I called to 1K reservations to double check, and the agent told me I this can, and does happen even on purely domestic itineraries.
My guess is that it is a different situation once already confirmed in NF than trying to get the UG in the first place with NF=0. Nice for you that it stuck!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
So I'm a little slow and need to confrim...although I think it has been answered answered.

UA 34 OGG-SFO on 8/15 is a DOM 777, and has NF2 NC0 can I use a CR1 or SWU to UG this flight from Y.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rkaradi
UA 34 OGG-SFO on 8/15 is a DOM 777, and has NF2 NC0 can I use a CR1 or SWU to UG this flight from Y.
Yes you can use either a SWU or CR1 to upgrade this flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.