Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Flew LAX-NRT on yesterday (12/26) and we had IFE but no map. Also, no mentioning of the new restriction. We were able to move around until 20 minutes prior to landing.

Last edited by gijoe24jp; Dec 27, 2009 at 8:07 am
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH Oil & Energy Club
well I'm in Tokyo now after taking UA881 ORD-NRT (12/26), 13 hours of no IFE or anything in 13K, I took UA 661 LGA-ORD earlier in the day and no problems there, everything was normal, they even had margaritas as a drink choice!

They didn't make any annoucements, before landing in NRT, about staying in your seat for the lat 90 minutes or not having anything in your laps... The pilots only mentioned that we'd be landing soon and they apologized for the 2 hour delay in Chicago...

after asking before we left ORD about skykits, apparently the one FA didn't know what I was talking about and said we don't have any, she came around and told me I must know what I'm talking about and handed everyone in the upper deck one.

Last edited by VTHokieFlyer; Dec 27, 2009 at 7:36 am
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
What a mess

Seems like the IFE was a UA decision, so now all of those passengers who help offset overhead will vote with their wallets and move to another carrier.

(If you ask the average flyer, IFE is a big deal)

I think the solution: We invade Yemen! I know they had nothing to do with this but they are just asking for it
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by colevalleytim
Seems like the IFE was a UA decision, so now all of those passengers who help offset overhead will vote with their wallets and move to another carrier.

(If you ask the average flyer, IFE is a big deal)
I believed this too earlier in the thread. But it seems the rule to eliminate the map has been imposed on other carriers as well. UA just doesn't seem to have a way right now to do this without turning off the IFE entirely.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
I guess now we need to make the ch9 equivilent "International IFE availability" thread.

I agree with voting with your wallets; I too am going to be contacting my representatives, this is totaly just TSA reacting to be noticed- now in their view they will have some purpose again and will allow for even bigger budgets and more power, my opinion of course.

I love UA but as others have said, air travel is getting worse and worse thanks to the actions of a couple morons. I'm not sure how much I can take before flying is no longer fun and only fly if I really have to.

I wonder what would happen if we reacted this way to every major criminal act (Mumbai, etc)

Last edited by UAL4life; Dec 27, 2009 at 8:39 am
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dcmike
I believed this too earlier in the thread. But it seems the rule to eliminate the map has been imposed on other carriers as well. UA just doesn't seem to have a way right now to do this without turning off the IFE entirely.
See posts #175 and #183.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
See posts #175 and #183.
MUC-IAD and LAX-NRT are both 777. There have been reports of no IFE on 767s, which might have the no IFE without a map problem.

Edited to add: Although the first post in the thread was also a 777 with no IFE, so there goes my theory.

Last edited by dcmike; Dec 27, 2009 at 8:51 am
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: LH FTL,Hyatt Platinum,BMI Silver
Actually I wanted to spend my vacation in spring 2010 in SFO,but due to the stricter safety regulations and all the restrictions of air travel to/ and from the US,I decided spontaniously to spend my vacation in YVR.

That means,that I can still enjoy the inflight-entertainment programe on board of the aircraft while I am flying,including a selection of movies,an electronic map with up-to date flight information from the flight deck etc.and I will also be allowed to go to the toilet whenever I want to do so.
This is what I nowadays call real luxury.

And in addition to all this,I am really allowed to open my hand luggage as often as I want to collect a good book,my glasses or my own headphones.
Fortunately,I can do without all the long and stressful TSA controls in the US and I also dont have to explain myself several times,giving the staff reasons why I am travelling and why I have chosen the US as my destination....
But that is not enough: As I am going to fly in business class,I will be allowed to use a pillow and a blanket throughout the flight.
I ´m sure that I will enjoy my holidays.I currently live in Europe,so that it wont be necessary for me to fly over US.I am going to fly from LON to YVR nonstop.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Just had this apparently internal airline memo tweeted from Upfront News via Avtips - looks like it is either UA or AA (I'm guessing AA, b/c I don't think (without looking) that UA flies to the USVI):

For all United States bound aircraft originating in a foreign country and including Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands:

- Passengers will not be able to leave their seat from approximately one (1) hour prior to landing. The cockpit will inform in-flight personnel when this should be enforced.
- In-flight and cockpit personnel must refrain from making any PA announcements regarding the position of the aircraft or landing announcements. Cockpit personnel will use the IF alarm system to warn in-flight personnel to take their seats prior to landing.
- Passengers will be allowed one carry-on item or one personal item and will not be able to access this item during the one (1) hour period prior to landing.
- No items can be used/held/accessed/accessible by any passenger, including personal electronic devices, magazines, newspapers, books, etc. during the one (1) hour pre-landing period.
- In-flight personnel must collect First / Business Class PED one (1) hour and thirty (30) minutes prior to landing.
- In-flight personnel must collect all pillows and blankets one (1) hour prior to landing. Pillows and blankets must be stored in the galley and not in overhead bins.
- All on-board fixed IFE systems will be disabled and not available to our customers. Do not run or attempt to run any fixed IFE system.

http://upfrontnews.webs.com/terroratmetro.htm
http://twitter.com/Avtips
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today's (12/27/09) HKG-SGN had IFE and map.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
12/26 UA940 SFO-FRA B747 had IFE and Maps.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Has anyone tried to cancel tickets? I know many would scoff at the idea, but I was on the edge of "Its too much of a hassle to fly", and this has pushed me over the limit. I have a international trip coming up in late January and discussed it with my wife this morning. We made the decision that we would rather not go.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:35 am

IFE on UA

I just flew ORD-HKG on 12/26 in F and NO IFE OR EVEN LAPTOP CHARGING PORTS WHAT SO EVER.

Just landed in J on HKG-SGN and the full IFE worked including channel 9 but the purser said channel 9 will be discontinued indefinitely
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
There is outrage everywhere on these new rules . . outrage on this forum, outrage on right wing news websites, outrage on left wing news web sites, outrage on local newspaper sites that permit reader commentary. There is almost universal and bipartisan agreement that this is insanity.

I have a feeling (or at least a hope) that it will pass once all the grown ups come back on duty after the holiday break is over. I would hope the media press TSA and other Homeland Security representatives very hard on how these measures will increase security one iota.

I am a big fan of the in-flight map and will be extremely annoyed if it stays inoperable. People with good geographic literacy can identify their position by looking out the window at highways, rivers, and cities . . . and those without good geographic literacy can bring an atlas aboard to do the same.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:42 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

This is absurd.

Over reaction and UA should have said HELL NO. The map and time left is a life saver, If my flight in Feb, doesn't have it, I will cancel and fly OZ or TG to USA. I think this was a one off looney and more strict screening until the air blowers are installed is fine.

I have 3 of my family on SWU's Jan 1. With no laptop power or movies I should just pull their SWU's. Does the new BIZ seat operate if there is no IFE? Maybe lying down will be seen as a threat now.

Flipping idiot TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.