Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jraindc
Is this IFE ban being dictated by the government or United? It's the craziest thing I've ever heard. Who do I direct my ire?
I'm certain United would not do this voluntarily. I'm flying KIX-SFO in 2 days. I hope they regain their senses by then.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
remove IFE and UNITED becomes SWA.....no need for business class seats other than if you REALLY need to sleep...ill go over the pond in economy all the time now, upgrades worthless....yeah i know im exagerating, but this just sucks!
I cant imagine my upcoming trip, almost 33 1/2 hours in a place without some sort of entertainment....my laptop only had so much battery
Last I checked, Southwest doesn't fly international.

Look, the day after the liquid thing at Heathrow happened, similar things occurred. Remember when NO beverages were served on aircraft, period?

Rules were relaxed.

Once airlines get the avalanche of complaints from customers, their lobbyists and executives will be making phone calls to key people.

My guess is that Canada will be one of the first places where things will be re-examined. Quickly. Air Canada and U.S-flagged carriers will realize their influx of extra checked bags, fewer staff to move those bags, more missed connections and irate employees and passengers.

It WILL impact the bottom line of all airlines. Capitalism always trumps security. We know as well as anyone that UA, and all other carries are looking to cut costs. Adding to costs won't fly with the airlines.

Give it a few days, I'm guessing within five to seven days things will change.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
UA statement on the web site:

New TSA security measures
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has issued new security measures for all flights departing from any foreign location and traveling to the United States. This is in addition to the normal screening that all customers go through to enter secured areas. All customers should allow extra time for check-in and the boarding process and, as always, should check their flight status before departure.
Nothing about IFE, or domestic flights.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Nothing about IFE, or domestic flights.
I doubt they're going to mention that, and that engineers are trying to figure out how to disable the maps without the whole system.

UA potentially loses the revenue from XM if they do not play the audio.

We'll see.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LessO2
Once airlines get the avalanche of complaints from customers, their lobbyists and executives will be making phone calls to key people.

My guess is that Canada will be one of the first places where things will be re-examined. Quickly. Air Canada and U.S-flagged carriers will realize their influx of extra checked bags, fewer staff to move those bags, more missed connections and irate employees and passengers.

It WILL impact the bottom line of all airlines. Capitalism always trumps security. We know as well as anyone that UA, and all other carries are looking to cut costs. Adding to costs won't fly with the airlines.

Give it a few days, I'm guessing within five to seven days things will change.
Agree 100%. I start my International Business travel in January,with 30K BIS booked within first 6 weeks of 2010.
I am confident all of this cr**p will be over once Business travel is full swing by mid January.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: Yes
I can confirm the IFE nonsense is not limited to int'l flights - I just got off UA722 ORD-IAD, and the IFE was all shut down about 2 minutes before we pushed back. As we were taxiing out they came on the PA and said "you might have noticed that the IFE is inoperative - this is due to the recent security issues".

So much for my nice 763 C seat...
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UncleJed
I can confirm the IFE nonsense is not limited to int'l flights - I just got off UA722 ORD-IAD, and the IFE was all shut down about 2 minutes before we pushed back. As we were taxiing out they came on the PA and said "you might have noticed that the IFE is inoperative - this is due to the recent security issues".

Hopefully Panasonic is working quickly to come up with a way to turn off the map feature but leave the other parts of the IFE on...

At least in the US, only a handful of flights have moving maps, so there is still going to be IFE on most flights. It's the international ones (and hopefully limited to just the new configuration with Panasonic software) that are affected.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Inbound flights only?

Is this IFE idiocy only flights inbound to the U.S., or does it include international flights outbound? I'm flying trans-pac this week, so I'll report back, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't quickly invest in some extreme battery solutions for my laptop.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: Oz Diamond,
Is this issue only limited to United? I checked other forums, such as AA, Delta, USAir, JetBlue etc. and I did not see other people complain similar issue. Did TSA or United make the decision to turn off IFE?

Polar Bear
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:55 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by mlasser

Anyone know if books and magazines are going to be considered "lap" items that will be banned for the last hour?
I was thinking what about hard-copies of maps!

This is insane, surely they can just turn AirShow off.
I though airshow is stored on a separate unit which is connected to IFE like you would with a PS3. Ive been on NZ 744/772/763/320 when the map has been disabled when its broken!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I was thinking what about hard-copies of maps!
Do you mean, like the one in Hemispheres?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:16 pm

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
i flew Fra-SFo today (26th). All UA flights delayed , LH on time. .... We had no video,audio,power port for laptop (bring your own dvds), seatlamp, no invidual reading light, lights came off and on when the flight attendent wanted to be on....
Was like in prision but with nicer blankeds and pillows ;-) missed my connection by 10 min because my bag came last ...
boooked again the wrong airline....
jr
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UncleJed

Did anyone have the guts to ask what one thing had to do with the other?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by juergenritz
i flew Fra-SFo today (26th). All UA flights delayed , LH on time. .... We had no video,audio,power port for laptop (bring your own dvds), seatlamp, no invidual reading light, lights came off and on when the flight attendent wanted to be on....
Was like in prision but with nicer blankeds and pillows ;-) missed my connection by 10 min because my bag came last ...
boooked again the wrong airline....
jr
Would this also disable the flight attendant call button? Is so, wouldn't that be a more serious 'security' concern?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:59 pm

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
you are right that button didnot work as well....
JR

Originally Posted by ivoryboi
Would this also disable the flight attendant call button? Is so, wouldn't that be a more serious 'security' concern?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.