Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Is this in any way official? Twitter??? Really? Why don't they post it on the web site or in a press release?
Yes. I realize that it is a fluid situation but UA (and for that matter all of the carriers) could try a little harder to get reliable information out so that there would be less rampant speculation. And I dont think Twitter counts.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:03 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Moderator note: FlyerTalk's Travel Safety/Security forum has an extensive discussion on new travel policies after the DL AMS->DTW flight. Please discuss there any general matters about these new rules. This thread is meant to be a discussion of specific UA situations and experiences on the new policies. Please help us keep this open by limiting the discussion to updating the UA experience or other related discussion focused specifically on UA. Thanks, the United Moderation team.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
New security - in seat for last hour of flight

Flew today FRA-SFO on UA901, in F. New security measures with all pax made to stay in seat with all belongings out of reach (including pillows/blankets etc) for last hour and all cabin baggage in Ohead bins only. Purser was hoping this was a short term measure but was US law rather then UAL policy. Passengers very unhappy.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:26 am

United's new rules: All flights will now depart for an unknown city. The windows will be covered over and all pax blindfolded, gagged and locked into their seats for the duration of the flight. No electronics, no phones, no reading, no listening, no announcements. And since food can be used as an accelerant, no food and no drinks. Welcome to the friendly skies.

Memo to the TSA: If there are no pax, there are no threats. Have you considered that?

Memo to self: Stay home. (just fly domestic, until they screw that up too.)

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 28, 2009 at 12:33 am
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OZNOG
Flew today FRA-SFO on UA901, in F. New security measures with all pax made to stay in seat with all belongings out of reach (including pillows/blankets etc) for last hour and all cabin baggage in Ohead bins only. Purser was hoping this was a short term measure but was US law rather then UAL policy. Passengers very unhappy.
Did you have IFE? Air-Show (map)? Ch. 9? In-seat power? Reading lights? Any limits on carry-on? How were procedures at FRA?

Thanks for the update.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:58 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Yea. At least from what I am reading now UA is doing a lot more than AA or DL. AA has had IFE on flights from LHR until the last hour of the flight.
Okay first off I agree on the importance of IFE and that UA needs to reexamine this policy, especially given what DL and AA have done.

I just have to wonder if the person who is supposed to make that call is away for the Holidays, and someone who would not normally make this call stepped up and read too much into the TSA mandate. I'm not defending UA at all in this, especially with the other carriers interpreting the policy differently. I just have to wonder if the person who made the call is not the normal person and that it will be reexamined once he is available again. The directive by the TSA was very vague and open to interpretation it seems. So MAYBE there is a logical explanation. Not saying that's the case. Just giving UA the benefit of the doubt.

Originally Posted by JAaronT
The big 15 inch screens at each of the C and F seats.
That's right. They are flying 747's right now aren't they?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 28, 2009 at 7:09 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
UA837, SFO-NRT, 26 DEC 2009: United disabled the in-flight entertainment system, including overhead reading lights and flight-attendant call buttons, on this OUTBOUND flight FROM the United States. What sense did that make? Did the TSA demand that, too? (No.) I've had enough. Seriously.

Bruce
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:15 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
Flew LAX-NRT on yesterday (12/26) and we had IFE but no map. Also, no mentioning of the new restriction. We were able to move around until 20 minutes prior to landing.
The last part could be that you were landing some 10,000 miles from US soil.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
I just have to wonder if the person who made the call is not the normal person and that it will be reexamined once he is available again. The directive by the TSA was very vague and open to interpretation it seems. So MAYBE there is a logical explanation. Not saying that's the case. Just giving UA the benefit of the doubt.
Sounds typical UA and I wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully it will affect their bookings and they might then reconsider.

Glad I'm not booked to fly anywhere on anything for 3 months!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:57 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
One more datapoint:

UA922 daytime IAD-LHR on 12/27 - no changes at all. Full power, IFE, including map, and no "sit your butt down" silliness. ^
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:39 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Just flew 869 (SFO to HKG) 12/27. IFE and Ch 9 operational entire flight (thank goodness) and only security precaution was everyone was advised to stay in seat 1-hr prior to landing. No mention made of not accessing hand carry etc.

At least sanity prevailed on this flight and maybe security is far more strict on inbound flights.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by eightblack
Just flew 869 (SFO to HKG) 12/27. IFE and Ch 9 operational entire flight (thank goodness) and only security precaution was everyone was advised to stay in seat 1-hr prior to landing. No mention made of not accessing hand carry etc.

At least sanity prevailed on this flight and maybe security is far more strict on inbound flights.
QED
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:05 am

Programs: Lots
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.61 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by eightblack

Very good and typical United. There is no TSA directive whatsoever for outbound flights from the US, so, in typical United crew style, they simply made that staying seated part up!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat
Took the HKG-SGN continuation of UA 869 on 12/27 that eightblack mentioned above. Crew was great, and ch.9/IFE/map were all operational. The (AFA-but-Hong Kong-based??) crew seemed to be only marginally aware of the new restrictions.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by transpac
Did you have IFE? Air-Show (map)? Ch. 9? In-seat power? Reading lights? Any limits on carry-on? How were procedures at FRA?

Thanks for the update.
Surely they must have limited carry-ons for everything to fit in the overhead bins?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.