Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:52 pm

regarding the no overhead lights on flights- doesn't that not make a lot of sense since last time I checked they haven't prohibited daytime flights (ie ambient light filling cabin) or removing windows?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I tried calling United to cancel some flights until this dies down, but they aren't making any exceptions for cancellations right now.

On a side note, I did notice this coming from United's twitter:

@techgirltx Sorry, have 2 comply w/ TSA directive. Only impacted seven or so int'l flights. Have since found a fix to keep IFE w/out GPS.
So perhaps the IFE is fixed now.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
9,000 miles for no IFE on UA900 (but we did have IFE?!?!?)

Got a mass email from UNITED offering $200.00 e-cert 10% off or 9,000 miles.. Below is the letter.. funny thing is.. the IFE was on the full flight SFO-FRA

Dear Mr *****,

On behalf of United Airlines, we deeply regret the inconvenience you experienced due to the lack of a working in-flight entertainment system on flight 900 on December 26th.

In order to comply with a new TSA security procedure and operate your scheduled flight, United disabled the entertainment system on some of our flights. We recognize this may have presented a disappointing travel experience and may impact your overall perception of our operation. Your comfort and enjoyment are very important to United. Your support and understanding are appreciated.

Whether in the air or on the ground, our priority is keeping our customers and our people safe. And while safety is at the core of our business and the foundation of everything we do, we are equally committed to service. We would like to offer you a gesture of goodwill in recognition of your patience while we complied with the new TSA security procedures. Thanks again for your patience and understanding during this directive and we look forward to seeing you on another United flight in the near future.

Sincerely,

-------
United Airlines
Customer Relations

This is all a bunch of BS, but good on UNITED for giving out these mass sky kits..
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Hopefully Panasonic is working quickly to come up with a way to turn off the map feature but leave the other parts of the IFE on...
Why should anyone work to turn off the map feature? I use the map more than the movies and for all of us to just "accept this" is more disappointing than the crazy homeland security rules. Shame on us...
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by seagar
Why should anyone work to turn off the map feature? I use the map more than the movies and for all of us to just "accept this" is more disappointing than the crazy homeland security rules. Shame on us...
I agree. The movies are mostly crap and seem to be edited on top of that. I like the airshow. So I have no life but I actually enjoy watching the damn thing.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by seagar
Though I can maybe understand at why TSA is doing this, I totally agree with you- I think the Map feature is the 2nd most used feature of the IFE if not THE most.

While I would trade everything to save peoples lives, turning off the GPS/Map feature will not do anything other than irritate people.

Some how I think TSA has been itching for this opportunity...

The only new procedure out of this mess that would of deterred Friday's incident is the full pat down. (if they are even doing it that is)
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Even if the windows were covered and the maps were removed, most passengers can sense when the aircraft begins its decent.

Therefore, all these goofy "rules" about taking away maps and forcing passengers to their seats one hour prior to scheduled landing shows that someone (s) at TSA has his or her brain in scatter mode.
agreed and I think TSA has just put in a bunch of stuff quickly rather than cxl all air travel.

But I guess my point was why would having an overhead light on be any more dangerous than flying during the day when the cabin is lit up from the outside light coming in?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I agree. The movies are mostly crap and seem to be edited on top of that. I like the airshow. So I have no life but I actually enjoy watching the damn thing.
Agreed. I hate to mention this, but most modern, portable GPS systems can find a signal without even pointing them out a window. Just sitting near a window seat is enough to get them a proper signal.
As I mentioned before, if someone wants to do harm to us, they will figure a way around current rules/procedures. This whole "fix" seems incredibly reactive. Likewise, for the countless reasons outlined here, someone can easily figure out aircraft positioning without the use of ANY GPS device. Does anyone remember when flights had navigators onboard? Yeah...there is, like, the ability to navigate/figure a position without the use of electronics. A doy? The TSA is security theatre at its finest.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:28 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
In this entire thread, I've only noted 2 or 3 people who are willing to stop flying in protest.

I'm poised to give United a few thousand dollars for TPAC and TATL trips in the first quarter...enough BIS to clinch 1P for 2011 alone. Now I'm seriously considering just doing video conference calls, or driving for my sabbatical, and keeping the cash in my pocket. ^

Ask yourself: Do you really need to fly? I already have issues with flying, and have only recently gotten to the point where I actually enjoy it again. And now I'm going to be chained to my seat and treated like a criminal because some loser wasn't doing his or her job and allowed a known terrorist on board their aircraft? No, thank you.

I implore everybody reading this to seriously reconsider their flying plans for the foreseeable future, until this nonsense abates and clearer heads prevail. And don't just stop flying with United...stop flying, period. Do you really need to be in Frankfurt to finish that deal? I doubt it, not when LCD screens, the Internet and Skype are readily available.

Enough people doing this will hit United right where it hurts, whether or not they're caving in to the TSA's abject idiocy. There's no way in hell I'm wasting my SWUs or flying for 12+ hours in E+ with no IFE or Channel 9.

Put down your drink chits and walk away, people. That's the only tool we have, really.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
In this entire thread, I've only noted 2 or 3 people who are willing to stop flying in protest.

I'm poised to give United a few thousand dollars for TPAC and TATL trips in the first quarter...enough BIS to clinch 1P for 2011 alone. Now I'm seriously considering just doing video conference calls, or driving for my sabbatical, and keeping the cash in my pocket. ^

Ask yourself: Do you really need to fly? I already have issues with flying, and have only recently gotten to the point where I actually enjoy it again. And now I'm going to be chained to my seat and treated like a criminal because some loser wasn't doing his or her job and allowed a known terrorist on board their aircraft? No, thank you.

I implore everybody reading this to seriously reconsider their flying plans for the foreseeable future, until this nonsense abates and clearer heads prevail. And don't just stop flying with United...stop flying, period. Do you really need to be in Frankfurt to finish that deal? I doubt it, not when LCD screens, the Internet and Skype are readily available.

Enough people doing this will hit United right where it hurts, whether or not they're caving in to the TSA's abject idiocy. There's no way in hell I'm wasting my SWUs or flying for 12+ hours in E+ with no IFE or Channel 9.

Put down your drink chits and walk away, people. That's the only tool we have, really.
You make a very sensible argument. At this point I am waiting to see what develops. As I mentioned in another post I was flying back from SYD the day after the liquids bust in London and it was a bit of a mess. But it largely sorted out over time. At this point, Im really monitoring the situation and evaluating future travel with that in mind.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have watched this thread over the past day and I quess I am amazed at some of the discussion.

...Enough people doing this will hit United right where it hurts, whether or not they're caving in to the TSA's abject idiocy. ...
Why punished UA for the mindless TSA actions?
Do you really think the UA should disobey a governmental directive?
There are other ways to protest this.

We are in the early days of this and just likely have other incidents -- much of this is likely to change. My suggestion to all -- take a deep breadth.

...There's no way in hell I'm wasting my SWUs or flying for 12+ hours in E+ with no IFE or Channel 9..
It's clear the IFE issue will likely get resolved in a few days and there is a four letter resolution in the meantime -- a B-O-O-K.
Sorry but having traveled for many years and have never felt a video is most essential element in my travel plans.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,

Do you really need to be in Frankfurt to finish that deal? I doubt it, not when LCD screens, the Internet and Skype are readily available.
Yes actually I do need to be there. I have no doubt my competitor will travel. People buy from people and if you can't even bother to show up this can often put some types of deals at a distinct disadvantage. Spending extended time with a client over a meal and in a face to face meeting often brings results that are impossible to reproduce remotely.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
I am right now in SJU, having done LGA -> CLT -> STT on US and STT -> SJU (20-min flight) on UA yesterday. On every US segment it was business as usual, including the pilot telling the passengers to look out on the right to see SJU, as we were passing over Puerto Rico on the way to STT. I arrived in SJU at 7 pm local time, so that if there are new regulations regarding flights from USVI and the Caribbean to the mainland, they must have gone into effect after our flight...

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm Reason: removed now-deleted quote and off-topic comments
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
saw this over on the Delta forum....imagine this!
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/12/26...ectronics-ban/
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive

Because United is being just as mindless in its response, that's why.

Care to explain? It's 2 days since the events. TSA has obviously given the airlines these orders. What exactly has United or any other airline done (or not done) that hasn't been up to your standards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.