Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA S
I fear for the future of Ch 9 . Will the TSA nonsense ever stop?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:00 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by emcampbe
UA should sue the TSA for $X,000 per day they are forced to shut off the IFE.
Imagine the spin which could be put on them doing this, as the blogosphere would have a field day saying United is more concerned about the bottom line then security.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whakojacko
I fear for the future of Ch 9 . Will the TSA nonsense ever stop?
Oh, that's right. Shoot.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been on plenty of UA flights where the Air Show was broken but the rest of the IFE was fine. Can't they just break it?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
The man who did the crazy act obviously should not have been on the plane because his name was on a government “watch list.”
If the airline employees were doing their jobs correctly, the terrorist would not have been issued a U.S. segment boarding pass when he checked in for his trip.
Did the guy have a visa for the US, or did they let him board without one? If he did have one, why did he have one?

Keeping this on topic, I guess I'll find out tomorrow whether my UA 777 from FRA to IAD will have IFE disabled. It won't matter as far as my entertainment is concerned as I have 30+ hrs of videos on my laptop and about 8 hrs of battery life, so I wasn't really planning on using the on-board IFE for anything than the map.

United's website now advises people to allow for extra time at check-in in and boarding due to extra security measures.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53307,00.html

That's, of course, easier said than done with pre-arranged travel connections. We'll be arriving 2 hrs before departure at FRA, and thanks for united's crappy OLCI I am not able to check us in for the flight to the US.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
No IFE for domestic flights? Or only int'l flights? I'm unclear on that one.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Security is one thing - IFE is a whole separate thing.
Exactly. We're used to the TSA circus...and more is inevitable. Turning off the IFE is another issue. I suppose that won't apply to the 747s in coach where everyone watches the same movie on the wall?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by MLRoach
And, of course, our beloved Channel 9
No ch 9 or IFE is nothing compared to this:

<SNIP> new rules imposed by the Transportation Security Administration limit on-board activities by passengers and crew in U.S. airspace. The airline said that during the final hour of flight passengers must remain seated. They won't be allowed access to carryon baggage or to have any items on their laps.

Flight attendants on some domestic flights are informing passengers of similar rules. Passengers on a flight from New York to Tampa Saturday morning were also told they must remain in their seats and couldn't have items in their laps, including laptops and pillows.

Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:10 pm

I'm hoping these rules get adjusted pretty quickly.

The 1 hour rule is tough, especially if you've had a lot to drink on a long int'l flight, that's gonna cause some interesting problems. Try telling a little kid they have to hold it for an hour or more. I give it a day or two before some stubborn person runs to the bathroom and causes some "security emergency".

Plus, United and all the airlines can't be too thrilled about having no IFE. It destroys demand for any premium cabin, and plus, no IFE=cranky passengers = never good.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:19 pm

I'm pulling my upgrades for Monday...No way am I standing for this nonsense with no IFE, no power, no bleep,...all because some idiot employee in Yemen couldn't do their jobs?

Then again I'd just enjoy the food and the booze and pass out.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: confidential
This is a freak incident that is unlikely to be repeated.

The IFE on United will likely be restored.

There is no evidence from other airlines such as cx, sq, qantas or other carriers that gps and onboard maps has contributed to suicide bombers. also, these so-called terroism acts that are reported widely appear to affect mostly US based carriers.

UA spent a significant amount to refurbish their premium cabins and it is meant to enable fair competition with other carriers. Inflight IFE is the norm of travel. If UA is asked to remove their IFE product permanently, they will likely suffer a further loss on profits and reduced revenue growth.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
remove IFE and UNITED becomes SWA.....no need for business class seats other than if you REALLY need to sleep...ill go over the pond in economy all the time now, upgrades worthless....yeah i know im exagerating, but this just sucks!
I cant imagine my upcoming trip, almost 33 1/2 hours in a place without some sort of entertainment....my laptop only had so much battery
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Has this actually been verified?

I am flying back to SFO from SYD on Wednesday and can report then, but I am positive that people will be flying internationally before then and can report any announcements/experiences related to the thread topic.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VTHokieFlyer
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.57 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Well I'm sitting on UA881 ORD-NRT and they told us bc of the incident yesterday no IFE, now I have nothing to do for 13 hours except drink... This is a joke, like we won't be able to have a general idea of where we are by looking out the window and knowing we have to cross an ocean to get to Europe or Asia... What a waste of 3 SWU I just used to upgrade my dad, brother and myself! Once I get to the hotel in tokyo I'm sending my email to 1kvoice. I asked about skykits or something but there was an onboard service supervisor on and he said united would reach out to us, let's see!
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Has this actually been verified?

I am flying back to SFO from SYD on Wednesday and can report then, but I am positive that people will be flying internationally before then and can report any announcements/experiences related to the thread topic.
Looks like from VTHokieFlyer's post theres at least one confirmation.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: UAL1K
Ridiculous

Is this IFE ban being dictated by the government or United? It's the craziest thing I've ever heard. Who do I direct my ire?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.