Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Crew use of OverHead Bins

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2024, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
UA Crew use of OverHead Bins

Speaking of bin poaching, don’t get me started on FAs putting their stuff in my bin. 😀
Old May 20, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by halls120
I have seen on multiple occasions people sitting in F on a 319 (or a full 737 for that matter) find that when they get to their seat that they paid for in F, theres no overhead space left.
Originally Posted by 747FC
Speaking of bin poaching, dont get me started on FAs putting their stuff in my bin. 😀
This, together with emergency equipment, is the main reason I find on A319s that F passengers cannot find overhead space as opposed to bins being clogged up by menacing preboarding 1Ks who are sitting in Y. There is typically (in my limited observation) not enough available overhead space in F if all 12 passengers brought a roll-on, as the bins above row 1 and sometimes half of row 2 are not infrequently already full before the first passenger boards.
drewguy likes this.

Last edited by ani90; May 20, 2024 at 11:31 am
Old May 20, 2024, 11:38 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by ani90
This, together with emergency equipment, is the main reason I find on A319s that F passengers cannot find overhead space as opposed to bins being clogged up by menacing preboarding 1Ks who are sitting in Y. There is typically (in my limited observation) not enough available overhead space in F if all 12 passengers brought a roll-on, as the bins above row 1 and sometimes half of row 2 are not infrequently already full before the first passenger boards.
I'm typically the first 1st class passenger to board, and like my idol, Mr. Pillows, I always sit in 1A. I find the bins over my row to be full about 9/10 times on the 319s and 320s.
Plane-is-home likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
There is typically (in my limited observation) not enough available overhead space in F if all 12 passengers brought a roll-on, as the bins above row 1 and sometimes half of row 2 are not infrequently already full before the first passenger boards.
That's part of the reason why all of the narrow-body aircraft are being converted to Space Bins with the United Next upgrade.
Old May 20, 2024, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Speaking of bin poaching, dont get me started on FAs putting their stuff in my bin. 😀
This drives me crazy in 1L--my favorite 789 seat. There are no middle bins and 90% of the time, the first bin is full of crew bags. Why would you put them there first--knowing there is no place else to store a bag for me or the center seats.
Plane-is-home and 8MiHi like this.
Old May 20, 2024, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ll22949
This drives me crazy in 1L--my favorite 789 seat. There are no middle bins and 90% of the time, the first bin is full of crew bags. Why would you put them there first--knowing there is no place else to store a bag for me or the center seats.
Why, because FAs have a DYKWIA attitude, and management permits it.
Old May 20, 2024, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Why, because FAs have a DYKWIA attitude, and management permits it.
Do we really need to shame an entire profession?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Do we really need to shame an entire profession?
No, only the ones poaching space from their most important customers.
Old May 20, 2024, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
I could not agree more about FA bin poaching. Not fun, but the two times I mentioned something the FAs gave me snarky replies so now I just mutter under my breath and fuhgeddaboutit.
Old May 20, 2024, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
I could not agree more about FA bin poaching. Not fun, but the two times I mentioned something the FAs gave me snarky replies so now I just mutter under my breath and fuhgeddaboutit.
It seems that US airlines have this issue. Is it the airlines just not designing the cabins to accommodate what is actually needed? Or similar to slim-line seats, narrow bathrooms, just trying to squeeze more profits by cutting corners.
Old May 21, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Theyre not actually your bins. Id be annoyed also, but theyre community bins.
Fair, that's why my initial statement referred to the bins over me. This also goes to the argument about whether people are entitled to put their personal item in the overhead above them instead of below the seat in front of them when the flight and bins are full.

Originally Posted by angetenar
Depending on the Polaris equipped aircraft, the window side bins can be larger than the center bins. Additionally, lots of people prefer to put their stuff in the bin across the aisle from them as its easier to keep an eye on your stuff that way.
I don't know too many people who would rather put their stuff across the aisle rather than directly above them. I find it's easier to keep an eye on the bin and control access to my stuff when it's directly above me.

Besides it assumes the bins above those rows were existent, empty and suitably sized.
No assumption since I saw the FA open the bin and put another passenger's stuff in the bin over them -- it had space. I also saw the family pull their stuff out of the bin over me AND some stuff from the bin over them after we landed. They were loaded for bear but it looked like they only resorted to the bin over them after they filled the bin over me (don't know for sure since they had filled the bins and sat down before I boarded with Group 1).
Old May 21, 2024, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
It seems that US airlines have this issue. Is it the airlines just not designing the cabins to accommodate what is actually needed? Or similar to slim-line seats, narrow bathrooms, just trying to squeeze more profits by cutting corners.
UA has staffing sheets that tell fas where to stow their bags, do the demo if need be & where to work. Removing closests & stowing fc supplies (pajammies, pads, ammenity kits in the overheads for the return intl flts adds to inhumanity if not having your own overhead in FC.

One did not have to be a top-tier flier with UA pre-merger. They used to hand out unopened bottles of wine and champagne all the time to me as I was disembarking. Just for being nice to the FAs during flight. That sure was a different era in flying.
getting terminated for being nice aint worth it.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
The first 2-3 rows of center bins on the 777s are dummy bins that don't open because that's where the crew rest quarters are. So the center folks have to use the side bins.
thats only on the -300s & 787s.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 21, 2024 at 9:49 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 21, 2024, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Fair, that's why my initial statement referred to the bins over me. This also goes to the argument about whether people are entitled to put their personal item in the overhead above them instead of below the seat in front of them when the flight and bins are full.

I don't know too many people who would rather put their stuff across the aisle rather than directly above them. I find it's easier to keep an eye on the bin and control access to my stuff when it's directly above me.

No assumption since I saw the FA open the bin and put another passenger's stuff in the bin over them -- it had space. I also saw the family pull their stuff out of the bin over me AND some stuff from the bin over them after we landed. They were loaded for bear but it looked like they only resorted to the bin over them after they filled the bin over me (don't know for sure since they had filled the bins and sat down before I boarded with Group 1).
I do it by default. There's no direct line of sight to the bin above, so across the way feels easier to me. 🤷‍♀️
dorisrpas likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 9:22 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
747FC - like all the stuff in the bins for Rows 1?
...especially annoying since the bulkhead has no place to put things under the seat

I am sure UA struggles with the balance of what to do with people who feel the need to carrying on 2x their weight in stuff - and refuse to check (or gate check, even when free). Probably the only way to address this problem is to monetize it like everything else.

In the government, if they want to restrict or control a problem - they tax it. I'm sure it would be very unpopular and someone will do it first and then prompt everyone else to follow, but the amount of crap that people travel with and bring onboard is very impressive. Heck, my SO will travel with more stuff (and barely making weight) for a long weekend than I use for a 2+ week business trip.
Old May 21, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by featheroleather
UA has staffing sheets that tell fas where to stow their bags, do the demo if need be & where to work. Removing closests & stowing fc supplies (pajammies, pads, ammenity kits in the overheads for the return intl flts adds to inhumanity if not having your own overhead in FC.
So you are saying Uniteds official policy is to not provide storage for FA bags in closets and the FAs are instructed to share with passengers?

And I think most people are asking for space around their seat. And conversely the space above you should be used for bags belonging to people sitting there and not someone that is sitting several rows back. Or a FA.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.