FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Crew use of OverHead Bins

Old May 21, 2024, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by featheroleather
UA has staffing sheets that tell fa’s where to stow their bags, do the demo if need be & where to work. Removing closests & stowing fc supplies (pajammies, pads, ammenity kits in the overheads for the return intl flts adds to inhumanity if not having “your own” overhead in FC.

getting terminated for being nice aint worth it.

thats only on the -300’s & 787’s.
Are you saying that UA’s staffing sheets articulate company policy that FAs are to put their personal belongings in certain bins in the F cabin?
Old May 21, 2024, 10:13 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
So you are saying Unitedís official policy is to not provide storage for FA bags in closets and the FAs are instructed to share with passengers?.
Originally Posted by 747FC
Are you saying that UAís staffing sheets articulate company policy that FAs are to put their personal belongings in certain bins in the F cabin?
It varies based on aircraft type.

Each aircraft type has designated locations for crew bags. On some, like the 737, the primary location is the closets and secondary, when closets are full, are the overhead bins. The 319/320 (don't know about the 321) do not have closets so the only place for bags are in the overhead bins.

Each crewmember should be using the designated crew bag storage areas, for the specific type of aircraft, which sometimes is the overhead bins. That information is not published where the passengers can see it so there's no obvious way for them to know. (A319/320 is easy, there are no closets)
Old May 21, 2024, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarryJ

Each aircraft type has designated locations for crew bags. On some, like the 737, the primary location is the closets and secondary, when closets are full, are the overhead bins. The 319/320 (don't know about the 321) do not have closets so the only place for bags are in the overhead bins.

Each crewmember should be using the designated crew bag storage areas, for the specific type of aircraft, which sometimes is the overhead bins. That information is not published where the passengers can see it so there's no obvious way for them to know. (A319/320 is easy, there are no closets)
Amazing. A company forces its employee's to inconvenience customers! Can you provide insights into exactly which bins on which aircraft? Provide the verbiage that mandates this inconvenience to its paying customers? Thanks!
Old May 21, 2024, 11:56 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Amazing. A company forces its employee's to inconvenience customers! Can you provide insights into exactly which bins on which aircraft? Provide the verbiage that mandates this inconvenience to its paying customers? Thanks!
For a/c without closets, where are the FAs supposed to put their bags?
Old May 21, 2024, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exerda
I doubt that most successful businesses choose to purposely irritate and inconvenience their highest revenue customers. In this analysis, put the bags in Y.
porciuscato likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt that most successful businesses choose to purposely irritate and inconvenience their highest revenue customers. In this analysis, put the bags in Y.
Funny, I was an on AA A319 the other day and guess where the FA bags were? (Hint: Not Y).
SPN Lifer and porciuscato like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jsloan
Funny, I was an on AA A319 the other day and guess where the FA bags were? (Hint: Not Y).
Same thing happened to me last month: By the time I got to my seat (1B) there was no overhead storage space available. AA 319s only have two rows in F, so FA baggage takes up more of what is already diminished overhead space.
Old May 21, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond

Thanks for the additional info.

The thing is I remember the 320/319 did have a closet in front of the FC cabin and when United chose to maximize the number of seats, lighten the weight by stripping out IFE, etc. those closets went away. Which is an action United is free to do, but unless they are saying that crew do not need to bring their bags on board, then they should have a plan to accommodate those bags. And the answer of making them share it with the even more dense passenger cabin space isnít right.

The problem becomes worse with certain crew members that seem to have carry on bags stuffed and the ďpersonal itemĒ is itself like a mini carry on bag.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:03 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by mfirst

I am sure UA struggles with the balance of what to do with people who feel the need to carrying on 2x their weight in stuff - and refuse to check (or gate check, even when free).
Nothing in America is free. The airline certainly are not doing the passenger a kind favor by gate checking the bag. Everything has its cost...

Originally Posted by exerda
I don't know the answer but one thing I do know is this seems to be a problem largely of American airlines. Having traveled many airlines around the world I don't recall non-US airlines where FAs seem to systematically get preferential access to overhead bins in J or F. Some airlines I have seen the FAs actively preserve space above seats in the front cabin so even if a J passenger boards at last minute from a tight connection there will be a place to stow their carryon.

Well United must be an exception. They really don't care about thir high revenue passengers in this way. If they did it would be very simple to instruct crew on the 319 and 320 not to put their bags in F bins.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ani90
Nothing in America is free. The airline certainly are not doing the passenger a kind favor by gate checking the bag. Everything has its cost...

I don't know the answer but one thing I do know is this seems to be a problem largely of American airlines. Having traveled many airlines around the world I don't recall non-US airlines where FAs seem to systematically get preferential access to overhead bins in J or F. Some airlines I have seen the FAs actively preserve space above seats in the front cabin so even if a J passenger boards at last minute from a tight connection there will be a place to stow their carryon.

Well United must be an exception. They really don't care about thir high revenue passengers in this way. If they did it would be very simple to instruct crew on the 319 and 320 not to put their bags in F bins.
UA certainly canít be considered successful if ratings data are to be believed.
porciuscato likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 2:20 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Does your company have a social media policy and, if it does, what does it say about posting excerpts of internal company manuals on social media?

The A319/320 is easy. There is no space other than the overhead bins for F/A bags.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:28 pm

Programs: *

The A319/320 is easy. There is no space other than the overhead bins for F/A bags.
That though is not the issue being contended. No one is disputing that FAs place their bags in overhead bins. The question is whether they should be placing them in the F cabin, given the limited bin space in the F cabin in this aircraft. True there is no space other than overhead bins for FA bags, but there is space other than the bins over row 2 or 3....
Old May 21, 2024, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by ani90
That though is not the issue being contended. No one is disputing that FAs place their bags in overhead bins. The question is whether they should be placing them in the F cabin, given the limited bin space in the F cabin in this aircraft. True there is no space other than overhead bins for FA bags, but there is space other than the bins over row 2 or 3....
I can see a security argument given more of them work in the front of the cabin than in the rear - just like passengers don't want to be far from their bags I'm sure FAs don't either.
SPN Lifer and nancypants like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
So you are saying Unitedís official policy is to not provide storage for FA bags in closets and the FAs are instructed to share with passengers?

And I think most people are asking for space around their seat. And conversely the space above you should be used for bags belonging to people sitting there and not someone that is sitting several rows back. Or a FA.
Si senor(a)

Are you saying that UAís staffing sheets articulate company policy that FAs are to put their personal belongings in certain bins in the F cabin?
Correct.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by featheroleather
Si senor(a)

Correct.
Thank you. I'm so curious about this: Is this a result of management-union negotiations? What is the rationale for using these premium-flier bins and inconveniencing customers?

These are serious questions. I find the use of the bins analogous to checking into a hotel room and finding that half of the closet space is allocated to items used by the housekeeping staff to service the room.
drewguy and porciuscato like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.