Old May 22, 2024, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Crew use of OverHead Bins

Old May 23, 2024, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Don't believe that is true. Some need to stay but others don't and on a later arrival I have seem them dash to the next flight. And may pilots also leave earlier. As a passenger I don't know all the constraints of crew connections.

Also believe FAs are required to have certain manuals with them. But these sort of details I don't known.
those bulky manuals were replaced by iphones a few yrs ago, no more paper updates, same device to charge for drinks food etc.
checking crew bags would be problematic esp domestically since many fa’s have to run from one gate to the other & if there is any delay, the domino effect will ruin the system.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 23, 2024 at 8:27 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 23, 2024, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
You are most definitely in the minority of people that I've observed and I've never had a problem seeing when the bin above me is opened or who is opening it. When people store their bags across the aisle and have to get into them mid-flight, it means disturbing the aisle passenger just below that bin.
In the minority, but perhaps accustomed to train travel where open bins make using the opposite overhead the safer practice.
Old May 23, 2024, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are most definitely in the minority of people that I've observed and I've never had a problem seeing when the bin above me is opened or who is opening it. When people store their bags across the aisle and have to get into them mid-flight, it means disturbing the aisle passenger just below that bin.
What is the disturbance? Not knowing which bag is being accessed? Perhaps the aisle seat passenger could also stow bags across the way and then rest easy knowing they're not being intruded upon. 😎
Old May 23, 2024, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
What is the disturbance? Not knowing which bag is being accessed? Perhaps the aisle seat passenger could also stow bags across the way and then rest easy knowing they're not being intruded upon. 😎
Assuming you are asking this question seriously, my observation has been that people accessing their carry-ons mid-flight frequently have to lean over or even into the aisle seat and often need to pull the bag out in order to see what they are pulling out. An aisle passenger accessing his or her own carry-on above his or her own seat isn't disturbing anyone else. An aisle passenger accessing said carry-on in a bin over another aisle seat is disturbing the passenger in that seat. Of course, a window passenger is going to disturb the aisle passenger just to get to the aisle but then will have to disturb yet another passenger if that carry-on is across the aisle.

The only scenario I can think of where the aisle passenger -- particularly in J -- can rest easier with the carry-on across the aisle rather than directly above is watching exactly which bag in the bin is being accessed but that's a moot point if everyone is using the bin over his/her seat.

Getting back to the topic at hand, it seems to me that it would be easier and more convenient for all concerned if the crew carry-ons were in the bins at the back of J (or each section of J in the cases where J is split by a galley and/or lavatories). They would still have visibility and access to their items while J passengers would have easy access to their carry-ons. In any event, I am still less annoyed by crew use of the OHBs than by pre-boarders who max out their carry-ons and then spill into other OHBs with everything they are carrying and placing up above.
SPN Lifer, uanj and FAA1996 like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LarryJ
....We used to have a procedure where deadheading, and commuting, pilots had a tag which allowed them to take their carry-on down to ramp level to be loaded last into the forward (most A/C) cargo area then go back down to retrieve it at the end of the flight....
This would be the best solution for bags crew don't need during flight (w/ change that bags be left and retrieved at jetway doorway). Anyone expecting crew to wait at carousel after each flight for their bags is being ridiculous. A theft issue is presented, though, if bags are left at door and all crew has to stay on plane while pax disembark. Maybe one crew could move into jetway to watch clearly marked crew bags.
Old May 23, 2024, 3:49 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This would be the best solution for bags crew don't need during flight (w/ change that bags be left and retrieved at jetway doorway).
I think we (pilots) tried to get such a system established for deadhead and commuting crews when the old system became unworkable due to airport restrictions but the company wasn't interested. It's been a while, and I'm just going by memory, but I think the problem was the additional workload for the already busy rampers. I'm not aware of any airline with such a system for working crews.

The space bins should significantly reduce the impact of crew baggage.
Old May 23, 2024, 4:47 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
This would be the best solution for bags crew don't need during flight (w/ change that bags be left and retrieved at jetway doorway). Anyone expecting crew to wait at carousel after each flight for their bags is being ridiculous. A theft issue is presented, though, if bags are left at door and all crew has to stay on plane while pax disembark. Maybe one crew could move into jetway to watch clearly marked crew bags.
i doubt you will see flight attendants step off the plane with pax on board , very often.
Old May 23, 2024, 6:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
i doubt you will see flight attendants step off the plane with pax on board , very often.
They can't. The minimum number of F/As must be onboard anytime a single passenger is onboard.
Old May 23, 2024, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
They can't. The minimum number of F/As must be onboard anytime a single passenger is onboard.
Which, I guess means UA has the minimum number of FAs on board. Not surprising.

Earlier this month on ANA, seemed to be significantly higher FA/passenger ratio. Also not surprising.
Old May 23, 2024, 8:08 pm

Which, I guess means UA has the minimum number of FAs on board. Not surprising.

Earlier this month on ANA, seemed to be significantly higher FA/passenger ratio. Also not surprising.
domestically most flts are staffed w minimum crews, intl widebodies for the most part are higher but the overhead bag issue isnt bad like dom is.
Old May 23, 2024, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming you are asking this question seriously, my observation has been that people accessing their carry-ons mid-flight frequently have to lean over or even into the aisle seat and often need to pull the bag out in order to see what they are pulling out. An aisle passenger accessing his or her own carry-on above his or her own seat isn't disturbing anyone else. An aisle passenger accessing said carry-on in a bin over another aisle seat is disturbing the passenger in that seat. Of course, a window passenger is going to disturb the aisle passenger just to get to the aisle but then will have to disturb yet another passenger if that carry-on is across the aisle.

The only scenario I can think of where the aisle passenger -- particularly in J -- can rest easier with the carry-on across the aisle rather than directly above is watching exactly which bag in the bin is being accessed but that's a moot point if everyone is using the bin over his/her seat.

Getting back to the topic at hand, it seems to me that it would be easier and more convenient for all concerned if the crew carry-ons were in the bins at the back of J (or each section of J in the cases where J is split by a galley and/or lavatories). They would still have visibility and access to their items while J passengers would have easy access to their carry-ons. In any event, I am still less annoyed by crew use of the OHBs than by pre-boarders who max out their carry-ons and then spill into other OHBs with everything they are carrying and placing up above.
Bins span more than one seat, though, so any given bin isn't only for one aisle and window pair, meaning that's really not a moot point.

Anyway, I don't mind how others do it, but I don't see any issue with how I do it. It's not the norm, but if you keep watch, you'll find it's actually not uncommon either.
Old May 23, 2024, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by featheroleather
domestically most flts are staffed w minimum crews, intl widebodies for the most part are higher but the overhead bag issue isnt bad like dom is.
ANA's int'l crew/passenger ratios are still higher than UA's int'l. But, you're right - abundant storage in Polaris cabins is awesome.
SPN Lifer and featheroleather like this.
Old May 24, 2024, 7:14 am

Programs: *
I just boarded an Air China domestic flight on a 738 sitting in row 1. Probably half the plane had boarded by time I got on. Many passengers with big roll-ons, myself included. On getting to the F cabin all the bins were closed and there was a flight attendant in the cabin. So I just opened a bin and put my stuff. And someone behind me was one of the last to board and FA opened a bin and she put her stuff. FA remained in cabin, all bins closed, till all F pax had boarded and their cabin bags stowed. There were just 8 seats (two rows) in F. Everyone in F had space for their carryon. It wasn't difficult. And no crew bags anywhere to be seen either and I am sure they do no less turn around etc than US domestic crew. All these excuses being given for United just don't hold...
747FC likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 7:20 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
maybe this is a different thread, but for me, it is not the FA stuff but all the other junk - like the giant bags of extra blankets, pillows, whatever - and some of the first aid stuff - like the extra oxygen tank (ok, not going to argue about that - but maybe find someplace else to put it that makes it just as safe and accessible)
Old May 24, 2024, 7:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Boarded a transborder AC 737-800 at the end of Group 1, some crew bags were in the F cabin (I wasn't) but it was equipped with the equivalent of Space Bins. While 100% booked, appears eveyone bags were boarded (last boarders had bags).

Seems this is primarily an A320, no closet issue?
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.