Old May 22, 2024, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Crew use of OverHead Bins

Old May 21, 2024, 10:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
Thank you. I'm so curious about this: Is this a result of management-union negotiations? What is the rationale for using these premium-flier bins and inconveniencing customers?.....
In aircraft without closets, some passenger OHB space -- unavoidable.
As mentioned the crew probably would prefer to be able keep an eye on their bags -- so basically the the front or the back
Most of the crew (including pilots) are up front
Plus traditionally the closet had been in the front
Plus honestly it is a more convenient place

Other than have them inconvenience someone else, where else do you suggest?
Old May 21, 2024, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Givdn how much ďpremium customersĒ has been mentioned in todayís comments Iím pretty sure itís implied ďthose people in coachĒ should be inconvenienced instead. Knowing how many 1K and GS end up in coach on a typical IAD-SFO along w crew deserving to keep an eye on their bags I donít agree.

Iím actually surprised this is such a hot button topic. Thinking back to the last five or 10 years I canít really remember this ever being a concern for me, and I would say itís been 90% of my flights in the front half of the F or J cabin
Old May 22, 2024, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Anyone who has a business will tell you they will bend over backwards to not alienate their best customers. Airlines bump less valuable passengers when oversold. When it comes to American airlines, they seem very willing to inconvenience their best customers.

What do I suggest: The obvious solutionófind out how Japanese and other airlines have solved the riddle of FA handcarry.
porciuscato likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 12:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What do I suggest: The obvious solutionófind out how Japanese and other airlines have solved the riddle of FA handcarry.
I doubt Japanese carriers have many FA overnighting on the smaller domestic aircraft routes . Really an apples and oranges situation.
Old May 22, 2024, 12:50 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Thinking back to the last five or 10 years I canít really remember this ever being a concern for me
is the A 319 a frequent aircraft you encounter? In row 1 there is nowhere to store your either personal item or a carry-on. And you can't put it above your seat because there are emergency equipment stored there. And you can't put it above row 2 cos the crew bags are there. If you happen to board late you may be going several rows back in Y to put your stuff. Not sure that is appropriate for passengers who pay a premium (either on cash or kind) for those seats.

It is less of inconveniencing someone else, but rather putting effort to see that their highest value passengers are not inconvenienced. As I said prior I have never encountered this issue in Europe, Asia or Africa where crew bags are deemed more important that ensuring your F passengers have somewhere to store their bags. Frankly, if I traveled weekly in paid F and found many times I boarded at my convenience (and time is too precious to preboard all the time) the bin over my seat was full of crew bags, and other F passengers had (rightly) already filled whatever bin space remains, then I would look for another airline to fly. If the airline feels crew bags must be in the F cabin then they are (for the premium they are charging for F) duty bound, in my opinion, to make alternative arrangements for all 12 F passengers to store their cabin luggage.
porciuscato likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I doubt Japanese carriers have many FA overnighting on the smaller domestic aircraft routes . Really an apples and oranges situation.
I gather you’ve never flown NH or JL long haul? Somehow they manage to keep their stuff separated from passenger bins.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 22, 2024 at 7:47 am Reason: discuss the issue, not the posters
Old May 22, 2024, 2:20 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Iím actually surprised this is such a hot button topic. Thinking back to the last five or 10 years I canít really remember this ever being a concern for me, and I would say itís been 90% of my flights in the front half of the F or J cabin
I'm surprised, too. It's like we expect UA (or DL or AA) to have all the positive characteristics of any airline we have ever flown and none of the negative. I like experiencing other airlines and sometimes they some things better and sometimes they don't do anything better. I have to fly to move from one place to another, I will enjoy the experience for what it's worth and organize myself to make it as smooth as possible. No point in amplifying minor issues and I try to keep perspective. (I'm not going to say avoid pearl-clutching because the last time I said that the world descended upon me. )

Anyone who has a business will tell you they will bend over backwards to not alienate their best customers. Airlines bump less valuable passengers when oversold. When it comes to American airlines, they seem very willing to inconvenience their best customers.

In Japan people don't seem to need to travel with one cubic meter of personal possessions and they are not reluctant to check baggage.

Most of this issue is a function of the amount of carry-ons passengers now bring on board. It is not anything airline crew are doing or not doing. Space bins will help, but the GAs need to police carry-ons or people will just bring even more on board.
Old May 22, 2024, 3:10 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
..When someone is so competent and proactive that they impress me, only then will I take the time to send positive feedback. And I remember the good service experiences and competent people far longer than the bad.
Strongly agree. Also, the <expletive> are everywhere whereas a good agent or crew member makes all the difference.

Last year, we had to land due to engine problems on a 777. And the pilots commentary and updates turned- what could have been a mildly worrisome episode - into a joyride. Many passengers agreed that he saved the day twice and many of us wrote to UA about it.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:15 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by uanj
..In Japan people don't seem to need to travel with one cubic meter of personal possessions and they are not reluctant to check baggage.
Make this 35 cubic foot...
I reckon that the main reason that people check luggage chez JL and NH is that they have a stellar record of not bungling bags and delivering them expediently.

Not all mishaps are UA induced though, some US airports have luggage delivery equipment that look like they were made for the set of a dystopian movie.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:05 am

Thank you. I'm so curious about this: Is this a result of management-union negotiations? What is the rationale for using these premium-flier bins and inconveniencing customers?

These are serious questions. I find the use of the bins analogous to checking into a hotel room and finding that half of the closet space is allocated to items used by the housekeeping staff to service the room.
AFAIK there was no union involvement re fa baggage stowage. UA has very specific staffing sheets telling crews where to stow bags, where to perform the demo on certain ac, which fa is the greeter, deals with the Unaccompanied minor etc etc, [comment edited by moderator - time to give that one a rest or put it in the correct thread]

I totally trust that you are not suggesting that Japanese carriers treat their employees as subhumans. I also trust that you really donít equate treating customers with priority as a zero sum game that dehumanizes employees. All of which makes your statement above confusing.

I am sure we can agree that everyone has pet peeves and a thorough search of Flyertalk could discover all of ours.
JALís new CEO is a former fa so at least she should remember her roots instead of being a bean counter who never sat foot on a plane or at the very least, only rides up front away from the unwashed masses in steerage.
SPN Lifer and nancypants like this.

Last edited by l etoile; May 22, 2024 at 12:37 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Gate check crew carry-on baggage. On most domestic flights I've been on recently, the last passengers to board often have to check their carry-on, so the using OHB space for the crew directly affects these passengers. Yes, maybe they are low revenue pax, but they still paid a fare and are still customers. Besides, do that many crew members depart the aircraft before the gate check luggage arrives in the jet bridge? If we're talking about who should be inconvenienced by not having carry-on in OHB, shouldn't the customers be a higher priority than staff when it comes to that decision?
VRFast likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 8:10 am

Programs: *

Seriously, sometimes I think the Stockholm Syndrome is alive and well in UA elite fliers (not speaking directly at you) jumping to defend FA poaching and UA management allowing it.
I must confess I am drawn in and have learnt to accept mediocrity (from UA) as a norm to the degree that I too am sometimes defending it. Having just got off a flight on KE in J today, I have realigned my synapses and wondered why I felt good about the crew and service on my preceding UA flight from SFO the day prior. I can't even begin to imagine a scenario where any of the FAs I met today on KE would think it was okay to place their bag in the overhead over my seat while, I had to go some seats away, or to the Y cabin to find room. And the food I tried to eat on the UA flight was so visually unappealing and unpalatable that in any scenario outside a US plane i would have rejected it instantly, but yet i still tried to eat it. We have become immunized to the arrogance, mediocrity and poor service that has become normalized on United.
Old May 22, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I think that really is the question.

The airplane can't go without the F/As, and the F/As can't go without their bags. The aircraft also don't go anywhere without all of the required emergency equipment. It all has to go somewhere.

One of the F/As bags have to be accessible in flight because it contains items they are required to have with them in flight. The best solution for that, and their carry-on, is a closet in the cabin but that takes away room from something else. In the A319/320, for example, you would have to remove some seats to make room for a closet. That's fine, I guess, but then who do we leave behind?

I don't know how specific the F/A manual is as to position of their bags in the cabin. For pilots, the overhead bin is a secondary storage area, generally only used when there are jumpseaters, but a specific location in the overheads is not specified. I wouldn't be surprised if the F/A manual is more specific than that.

When I jumpseat, I put my bag several rows back in economy. Back there, though, overhead space is at a bigger premium because more passengers are seated under each bin. The back of economy is also a problem because of the emergency equipment taking up overhead space. There really isn't a good answer. The Airbus has room in the cockpit for jumpseater bags, which is nice.

We used to have a procedure where deadheading, and commuting, pilots had a tag which allowed them to take their carry-on down to ramp level to be loaded last into the forward (most A/C) cargo area then go back down to retrieve it at the end of the flight. The airports no longer allow us to do that due to their security rules. If working F/A bags were put below you'd have problems with their bags being misloaded or not returned/sent to baggage claim. That would lead to delays on subsequent flights.

When determining cabin configuration, and policy, the airline considers all of these priorities and makes their decision based on what works best in their operation.

The upgraded overhead bins will significantly improve the situation. Quite a few 737 and Airbus aircraft are flying with them now and conversions are continuing.
SPN Lifer, wakko11, st530 and 3 others like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 8:48 am

Programs: United 1k American Platinum select Marriott Titanium Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
I must confess I am drawn in and have learnt to accept mediocrity (from UA) as a norm to the degree that I too am sometimes defending it. Having just got off a flight on KE in J today, I have realigned my synapses and wondered why I felt good about the crew and service on my preceding UA flight from SFO the day prior. I can't even begin to imagine a scenario where any of the FAs I met today on KE would think it was okay to place their bag in the overhead over my seat while, I had to go some seats away, or to the Y cabin to find room. And the food I tried to eat on the UA flight was so visually unappealing and unpalatable that in any scenario outside a US plane i would have rejected it instantly, but yet i still tried to eat it. We have become immunized to the arrogance, mediocrity and poor service that has become normalized on United.
I have found the Ex Continental flight attendants to be far superior, but that being said, my last 2 flights in business I was last to board and all overhead was taken from me and I was expected to put my carryon at my feet. So yes that is pretty unacceptable but something I have come to expect from UA
Old May 22, 2024, 9:02 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by goofy flyer
I have found the Ex Continental flight attendants to be far superior, but that being said, my last 2 flights in business I was last to board and all overhead was taken from me and I was expected to put my carryon at my feet. So yes that is pretty unacceptable but something I have come to expect from UA
You boarded last and were surprised there was no overhead space left? Also, how do you know they're "ex continental" - it was one thing the first couple of years after the merger, but at this point there are so many post-merger hires...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.