Old May 22, 2024, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Crew use of OverHead Bins

Old May 22, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: United 1k American Platinum select Marriott Titanium Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
You boarded last and were surprised there was no overhead space left? Also, how do you know they're "ex continental" - it was one thing the first couple of years after the merger, but at this point there are so many post-merger hires...
Not surprised in coach when I board last, but when I pay premium for first there should be space. I don't complain, but there should not be a lack of customer care. Again nothing I said showed surprised just stated a fact.
I know they are continental because I can tell by their demeanor and I always ask, it's a fun game for me. Ex Cont people are generally much more service/customer oriented.
Old May 22, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K ; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Ex; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Perhaps choosing to go with the flow and boarding with the 1Ks is an option. Is there that much experiential difference?
I like the addition of the specific GS/1K, other preboard lines at LHR. Obviously the UA gates in LHR T2 have the luxury of space where other airports may not. Sure, it does not exactly feel premium to be in yet another line, but the orderliness to it is welcomed vs. so much bunching in other airports.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In aircraft without closets, some passenger OHB space -- unavoidable.
As mentioned the crew probably would prefer to be able keep an eye on their bags -- so basically the the front or the back
Most of the crew (including pilots) are up front
Plus traditionally the closet had been in the front
Plus honestly it is a more convenient place

Other than have them inconvenience someone else, where else do you suggest?
There used to be closets. And many other airlines have the appropriate amount of closet space. It is United that for cost cutting reasons removed those closets.
Old May 22, 2024, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
There used to be closets. And many other airlines have the appropriate amount of closet space. It is United that for cost cutting reasons removed those closets.
No, they didn’t do that for “cost cutting reasons.” They did it to increase the seating capacity. If they’d kept the closets, they’d have either left a couple of passengers behind or raised fares to compensate. That seems a pretty heavy price to pay just to avoid having to put your bag a row or two behind you.
Old May 22, 2024, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goofy flyer
Not surprised in coach when I board last, but when I pay premium for first there should be space. I don't complain, but there should not be a lack of customer care. Again nothing I said showed surprised just stated a fact.
I know they are continental because I can tell by their demeanor and I always ask, it's a fun game for me. Ex Cont people are generally much more service/customer oriented.
Some of the rudest forward facing employees at UA today are found at the former Continental hub at EWR. The single rudest UA employee I’ve ever encountered was the former CO red coat working at SFO shortly after the merger.
porciuscato and FlyfromDenver like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Pulled out the long discussion on crew usage of OHBs from A Cautionary tale -- United, GS, 1K -- Wake up call... -- let's focus on just the OHB issue in this thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

=================================================

How big of an issue is crew usage of OHBs?

The lack of a closet obviously in the UA 319/320 creates an issue.

For planes with closets, when is this an issue?
Has the space bins reduced this issue?
SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 22, 2024 at 11:16 am
Old May 22, 2024, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
Some of the rudest forward facing employees at UA today are found at the former Continental hub at EWR. The single rudest UA employee I’ve ever encountered was the former CO red coat working at SFO shortly after the merger.
And yet, some of the friendliest most helpful staff I've ever had have been at EWR, too. There are some true gems.

Rudest airport staff I've ever had - hands down - was a TSA agent in DFW.
Old May 22, 2024, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, they didn’t do that for “cost cutting reasons.” They did it to increase the seating capacity. If they’d kept the closets, they’d have either left a couple of passengers behind or raised fares to compensate. That seems a pretty heavy price to pay just to avoid having to put your bag a row or two behind you.
Cutting costs/increasing profits go hand in hand. It isn’t like the added seating capacity was spacious - they just enabled adding more passengers to help improve their revenues at the expense of providing a worse experience.

And it isn’t like flights had 8 passengers left behind, so they added 8 seats to accommodate those 8. And after adding those seats, no one else was left behind.

And have the fares come down in price? Just looking at the majority of the threads on FT, the general trend line is pay more, get worse experience.
ani90 and bmwe92fan like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:17 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Cutting costs/increasing profits go hand in hand. It isn’t like the added seating capacity was spacious - they just enabled adding more passengers to help improve their revenues at the expense of providing a worse experience.

And it isn’t like flights had 8 passengers left behind, so they added 8 seats to accommodate those 8. And after adding those seats, no one else was left behind.
Yes next they will scrap E + or reduce seat pitch though the cabin by half inch, to make room for four more rows of seats to carry even more passengers and we will be led to believe United is doing it for our own good so we don't get left behind and don't pay higher fares.... We have got used to United's mediocrity that we find ourselves defending it.
Infinite1K likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 747FC
I doubt that most successful businesses choose to purposely irritate and inconvenience their highest revenue customers. In this analysis, put the bags in Y.
Not in F, not in the bulkhead rows, not near restricted space bins as for emergency equipment, so somewhere else in Y. For that matter, as the FAs are last off the plane anyway, why shouldn't their bags go towards the back? It's pretty easy to salmon to the back when everyone else is off the plane.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I haven't seen this mentioned so far -- but IME this really became a much more common issue when UA (and to be fair other airlines) figured out how to monetize checked bags -- at least to me that was the beginning of a very real storage problem on board.... Pre-monetization days people checked bags and overhead space was much less restricted. I was living in upstate NY at the time so we dealt with smaller planes more often -- and that's where I saw things change fast on those smaller feeder routes to the hubs...

I've often wondered if the percentage of bags checked has declined since things changed....
Old May 22, 2024, 5:53 pm

I agree, the crew can certainly gate check their bags when flying a narrow body, short-haul flight, since they do not actually disembark until after *all* the passengers have left the plane. By then, the crew bags will be ready on the jetway. The crew can keep a small shoulder bag or handbag on the plane, but there's no reason on the short haul narrow body planes to keep their bulky suitcases in the passenger cabin.
Infinite1K likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 7:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
I agree, the crew can certainly gate check their bags when flying a narrow body, short-haul flight, since they do not actually disembark until after *all* the passengers have left the plane. ....
Don't believe that is true. Some need to stay but others don't and on a later arrival I have seem them dash to the next flight. And may pilots also leave earlier. As a passenger I don't know all the constraints of crew connections.

Also believe FAs are required to have certain manuals with them. But these sort of details I don't known.
Old May 22, 2024, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I think the best overhead bin position for FA bags would be at the back of the forward cabin. That way it's still close to where they're working, and they don't inconvenience the people in bulkhead seats. Those people have no other place to store their bags, so they are the most affected by using the forwardmost bins.
Old May 22, 2024, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
I do it by default. There's no direct line of sight to the bin above, so across the way feels easier to me. 🤷‍♀️
You are most definitely in the minority of people that I've observed and I've never had a problem seeing when the bin above me is opened or who is opening it. When people store their bags across the aisle and have to get into them mid-flight, it means disturbing the aisle passenger just below that bin.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.