FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Crew use of OverHead Bins

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2024, 8:01 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Which, I guess means UA has the minimum number of FAs on board. Not surprising.
On domestic (including short international) flights it is almost always the minimum. It's the same for all airlines. Occasionally, longer domestic flights will carry an extra. Crew scheduling will often schedule a deadheading F/A as an Extra instead of a DH. The 737s have two extra F/A jumpseats; the A319/320 has one. Don't know about the 321.

International flights (long haul) likely have extras. I don't fly a widebody fleet so don't know the specifics.
Old May 24, 2024, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
On long haul international flights while United might not have the minimum number of FA, they seem to have minimal. We already know at least one was cut since meal service was streamlined. And generally speaking it seems like crews for European or Asian airlines for a widebody are much bigger than when I see United crew waiting to board.

Also I’d be surprised if a crew member would be rushing to work another flight after a long haul flight. Not only would they be over their hours, but you also have potentially customs and passport control to get through.
Old May 24, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Don't ever sit at the back of a WN 737 to Hawaii. The last 2 or 3 overheads on each side of the aisle were full of snack items and miscellaneous service items.
Old May 24, 2024, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by mfirst
maybe this is a different thread, but for me, it is not the FA stuff but all the other junk - like the giant bags of extra blankets, pillows, whatever - and some of the first aid stuff - like the extra oxygen tank (ok, not going to argue about that - but maybe find someplace else to put it that makes it just as safe and accessible)
thats called a closet that some bean counter decided wasnt needed to maximize sardine configurations along with harrible tiny lavs.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
On domestic (including short international) flights it is almost always the minimum. It's the same for all airlines. Occasionally, longer domestic flights will carry an extra. Crew scheduling will often schedule a deadheading F/A as an Extra instead of a DH. The 737s have two extra F/A jumpseats; the A319/320 has one. Don't know about the 321.

International flights (long haul) likely have extras. I don't fly a widebody fleet so don't know the specifics.
The 321 has 6 Jumpseats. So if we staff minimum of 4 there will be 2 extra if staffed to 5 then 1 extra.
LarryJ and uanj like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 7:03 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Unless your name is United or Stuker, the bin is not yours. It’s shared space with your fellow pax and FAs.

on edit. You can check ownership of the bins on each flight by looking for the name on the fuselage outside, in case it doesn’t turn up on your app.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 25, 2024 at 8:10 pm Reason: Removed inappropriate comment
Old May 25, 2024, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The 321 has 6 Jumpseats. So if we staff minimum of 4 there will be 2 extra if staffed to 5 then 1 extra.
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Unless your name is United or Stuker, the bin is not yours. It’s shared space with your fellow pax and FAs, share it like the adult you are.

on edit. You can check ownership of the bins on each flight by looking for the name on the fuselage outside, in case it doesn’t turn up on your app.
I’m confused. I thought that FAs are mandated by UA policy to keep their bags in the F bins, unless there is closet space (none in 321). If it is policy, how come those six FAs (or 3), don’t use all the F bins all the time, and have signs on the bins restricting them for employee use only?
porciuscato likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 25, 2024 at 8:15 pm Reason: removed response to deleted content
Old May 27, 2024, 11:54 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I talked to a couple of F/As, since I don't have access to their manuals.

The F/A storage locations are specified in their manuals. When the overhead bin is specified, the row above which they are to store their bag is listed.

Often, those overhead bins will be locking bins that are not available to passengers. I asked one about the purser's bag on the 319/320 and was told that their bags should go over row 10.

Widebodies are (almost?) all in closets, not overhead bins. 737s have the closet for the forward FA(s) and a locking overhead bin for the aft FAs.

When crewmembers DH, commute, or pass travel, their bags still look like crew bags in the overheads so not every crew bag belongs to the working crew.
Old May 28, 2024, 12:03 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
The ex-TED fleet hasn't had a closet in the forward galley since they were brought back to mainline pre-2010. The seat count on the A320 has also been the same for the past 20 years. This isn't a new issue at all.
Old May 28, 2024, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
The ex-TED fleet hasn't had a closet in the forward galley since they were brought back to mainline pre-2010. The seat count on the A320 has also been the same for the past 20 years. This isn't a new issue at all.
Not all pmUA A320 went to TED.

And the seat count definitely changed when they ripped out the original cloth covered grey color seats to the Recaro slimline seats.
Old May 28, 2024, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Not all pmUA A320 went to TED.

And the seat count definitely changed when they ripped out the original cloth covered grey color seats to the Recaro slimline seats.
Apologies, the past 14 years. They were all delivered as 12/126 and refit to the current 12/138 as the TED fleet got absorbed back into the mainline in the early 2010s. They have always stayed below 150 at mainline to keep staffing at 3 FAs.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by BostonPlanesAndTrains; May 28, 2024 at 8:49 pm
Old Jun 2, 2024, 8:54 am

going above the call of duty to protect “crew only” overhead bins .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.