Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

... how do we fight back to UAL's latest devaluation of our points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

... how do we fight back to UAL's latest devaluation of our points

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2024, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k American Platinum select Marriott Titanium Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I still fly UA but have dropped down to Silver, have started flying other airlines, and importantly, shifted most spend to Amex. I have been pretty successful redeeming MR for travel on UA for a lot less miles through Avianca/AC and have also had luck on AF, VS, and others for less than required by Skypesos.
Thanks, yes I started using amex for AC last year and been watching AIr France. Didn't think of AC. Thanks for all the info, I'm close to doing what you said.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The co-branded credit card cancellation option would seem far more effective.
Wouldn't hurt my feelings if people did that. What has only recently been in anything resembling the mainstream press is that we small businesses have to pay a higher card processing fee when clients use those cards.
SPN Lifer and dcpdxtrans like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k American Platinum select Marriott Titanium Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
1. I don't think Chase really cares if you cancel their card or not - it would take tens of thousands of cancellations to move the needle, and even then United may tell Chase "too bad"

2. At PMCO, we could sit down with senior management at their events and discuss concerns and receive relatively transparent feedback on what was realistic and possible - under Kellner, the company cared what we thought. You have the exact opposite at United today. Not only did this decision come with purpose, look who is running MP - a former leader of arguably the most hated company in America, who reports to a disciple of Baldanza, the most hated airline manager in history (after Lorenzo). Not only do they not care, they already believe United is the greatest airline product and service on the planet - which is like Hershey's saying "we're better than Teuscher". I'm sure this is a combination of both a business decision, and a "just stick it to them for the heck of it"

3. Unless you're looking at relatively fixed redemption options, like *A Upgrade Awards, collecting MP miles for free tickets is almost a fool's errand. By the time you have enough to redeem for a premium ticket, the amount needed will increase. I stopped collecting UA miles and just focus on Amex points which can be redeemed for either mileage tickets (via a transfer) or a revenue ticket

Years ago Save SkyMiles succeeded at undoing a host of anti-customer hostile actions by Delta under Mullin - who lost his job to the effect of that campaign - but we're in a different world now and no one really cares anymore. Fly us, don't fly us - we don't care because someone else will buy your seat.
Well said
Old May 21, 2024, 5:31 pm

Why would you have a United card when you can get 2.65% - 3.5% CASH BACK with many cards
MILES ARE NOT WORTH 2..65 CENTS
Old May 21, 2024, 6:11 pm

Class action suit.

Corollary of Godwin's law- every internet griping thread eventually ends in a call for a class action suit. Sometimes invokes the need for Admiralty lawyers.
hhdl likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 8:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jiburi
.. Bankruptcy can also zero out every account.
No USA major has ever done this realizing long-term consequence of that move, devaluation achieves much the same without the PR hit.

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Why would you have a United card when you can get 2.65% - 3.5% CASH BACK with many cards
MILES ARE NOT WORTH 2..65 CENTS
Incomplete comparison, since most get 1.5 to 2 miles (up to 5 in some case) per $, at 1-1.5 cpm, they are actually relatively close in value.

But with UA miles you are captive to the company store, hence I changed to cash back card about 4 years ago. Same result but for a better reason.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
......, look who is running MP - a former leader of arguably the most hated company in America, who reports to a disciple of Baldanza, the most hated airline manager in history (after Lorenzo). Not only do they not care, they already believe United is the greatest airline product and service on the planet - which is like Hershey's saying "we're better than Teuscher"............
"United Airlines has named Richard Nunn as its MileagePlus CEO, a newly-created position that will oversee the next chapter for the continued expansion of Uniteds industry-leading loyalty business."

Results are showing a little over one year on the job ...........
Old May 22, 2024, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
"United Airlines has named Richard Nunn as its MileagePlus CEO, a newly-created position that will oversee the next chapter for the continued expansion of Uniteds industry-leading loyalty business."

Results are showing a little over one year on the job ...........
Other than devaluations and a worse program, what results would United be championing?
Old May 22, 2024, 1:05 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Gave up the "addiction" to FFPs and points during the pandemic, and focused instead on boosting my income (and by extension, my discretionary travel funds). Upside is I am essentially immune to the devaluations by the FFPs as cash is king, and I am not hooked to the machinations of any one airline.
SPN Lifer, weero and Say Vandelay like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc (Post # 39)
I am essentially immune to the devaluations by the FFPs as cash is king, and I am not hooked to the machinations of any one airline.
Try living on Saipan, CNMI,* in the western Pacific. There aren't any other practical ways back to the rest of the U.S. except on United.

* Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands 🇲🇵 🇺🇲
uanj, United747, Kannai and 1 others like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 1:18 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Nocella has said a few times the revenue from the credit card side is not meeting expectations or could be enhanced. I took that to mean if credit card revenues don't improve we will see less value in miles. Reducing credit card holder benefits at face value is not a competitive move in the market so the logical choice is require more miles for awards. They will continue along this path until they see customer resistance. So far there really isn't any.

For the OP, the only choice is to bank miles when you fly with the program that gives you the most utility. For the moment in the US that's probably AA for most people looking for international awards. But I give AA until the end of this year before they align their awards more closely with UA and DL.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by uanj; May 22, 2024 at 1:24 am
Old May 22, 2024, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uanj (Post # 41)
Nocella has said a few times the revenue from the credit card side is not meeting expectations or could be enhanced. I took that to mean if credit card revenues don't improve we will see less value in miles. Reducing credit card holder benefits at face value is not a competitive move in the market so the logical choice is require more miles for awards. They will continue along this path until they see customer resistance. So far there really isn't any. [Emphasis added.]
That is why canceling cards is the strongest message. But it may take a while to convince cardholders that doing so is in their best interest. Who will tell them? Certainly not "travel" (credit card) bloggers. How long will it take for the average cardholder to recognize the diminution of their miles?
weero and uanj like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 2:45 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by goofy flyer
.. It now costs more to go 1000 miles domestically than it did in Europe..
What does that mean? Is that unusual?

I find MP coach awards in Europe are still decent value, they can be booked one-way and open jaw, and availability is almost acceptable. And best of all, you don't have to fly UA.

Internationally, unless you are willing to suffer their gross coach product, MP has ceased to exist.
Old May 22, 2024, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by uanj
Nocella has said a few times the revenue from the credit card side is not meeting expectations or could be enhanced. I took that to mean if credit card revenues don't improve we will see less value in miles. Reducing credit card holder benefits at face value is not a competitive move in the market so the logical choice is require more miles for awards. They will continue along this path until they see customer resistance. So far there really isn't any.

For the OP, the only choice is to bank miles when you fly with the program that gives you the most utility. For the moment in the US that's probably AA for most people looking for international awards. But I give AA until the end of this year before they align their awards more closely with UA and DL.
Noticed my United Quest has been getting multiple, even stackable, promotions lately. Currently I am getting 3x bonus on dining + 1,000 points a month for >$500 spend for the next three months + bonus miles for doing all 3 months, etc.
So they are trying to drive spend and transactions to United cards. Of course, all the extra bonus miles creates points inflation, so it is all part of the devaluation.

I burned down all my UA miles long ago. I keep a reasonable balance for when value opportunities strike but they are more a by-product of domestic travel I am doing then a concerted effort to collect points. Amex/Chase are where I try to amass points, but now I am even starting to question if cash-back card is a better option. I have Charles Schwab Amex Plat, so I guess that is a form of cash back. I have put thousands into my brokerage account lately.
SPN Lifer, uanj and adambrau like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tth6133
They would if they could. But they can't. Without flying, they can't issue mileage currencies, which induce cardholders to sign up for and spend on their credit cards.
Yes, that is my point. Which is why it is quite useless when people say things like "airlines make more money from selling CC points than they do from operating an airline." Not doing the latter makes the former impossible.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.