Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

... how do we fight back to UAL's latest devaluation of our points

... how do we fight back to UAL's latest devaluation of our points

Old May 22, 2024, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Did you tell Chase why you cancelled? If not, it's not too late to send them a secure message through the Chase website you used to access the account.
Many people, especially frequent travelers, have more than one Chase card in their wallet. I doubt Chase will care too much if you cancel your Chase MP card if youíre going to use your Chase Bonvoy card (or other) in its place.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by goofy flyer
Yes I agree with 1.4 mill miles I've started using them up as quickly as I can. We accumulate about 600k a year in miles
In my head, I keep thinking that there will be a day where I will no longer beable to maintain 1K. (ie. UA will raise the requirements too high or devalues PP). I figured that I would burn off all my miles at that point. I had not thought about how fast UA would devalue the miles.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
they won't drop below a penny a mile as that is the minimum value on the chase pay yourself back.

It's just that the ticket prices will rise, requiring far more miles
The Chase PYB only works for the credit card earned portion of your mileage balance. I know because I got a response to my inquiry from MileagePlus. They said that I could get a new card and use PYB, but that my existing 3 MM balance could not be used to pay my CC bills. So miles earned from flying only are already worth less than a penny.
Old May 22, 2024, 6:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
The Chase PYB only works for the credit card earned portion of your mileage balance. I know because I got a response to my inquiry from MileagePlus. ....
Understand what you were told and this WAS the prior requirement and we know the issues in getting the right info out of UA CS.

What I do know is the Chase PYB site makes no mention of the limitation while the old MP Choice Point did. I would take a chance with the Xplore card, the SUB (eligible under the old program) would give you $500 credit and no 1st year annual fee. Plus if your have A Global Entry renewal coming up, another $100. Basicly nothing to lose and a potential significant upside.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
No UA cards, switched to OW after the changes to the plan where I could not reach PQP to retain 1K after so many years.
My money speaks for my actions and UA getting a very small amount.
Old May 22, 2024, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jsloan
I think businesses, in every industry, attempt to maximize profit, and that there is nothing unethical about not offering your best price up front in a negotiation..
You really believe that UA and its customers are on equal footing in their “negotiations?”
Old May 22, 2024, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
You really believe that UA and its customers are on equal footing in their ďnegotiations?Ē
Again, with the exception of the residents of, say, SPN -- yes. I can take my business to any airline, and I have been. I'll still end up as 1K because UA is generally the cheapest after taking free E+ into account, but if UA doesn't provide the best value I'll take my business elsewhere. AUS doesn't have a ton of nonstop options anyway, but even where they do, I'm not afraid of connecting if it suits my needs.
SPN Lifer, uanj and Warriorconcept like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 9:20 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Again, with the exception of the residents of, say, SPN -- yes. I can take my business to any airline, and I have been. I'll still end up as 1K because UA is generally the cheapest after taking free E+ into account, but if UA doesn't provide the best value I'll take my business elsewhere. AUS doesn't have a ton of nonstop options anyway, but even where they do, I'm not afraid of connecting if it suits my needs.
I'll add this is why I am against any further consolidation in the airline industry. Lack of effective competition erodes pricing and service competition and reduces the need for innovation.
Old May 22, 2024, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
I'll add this is why I am against any further consolidation in the airline industry. Lack of effective competition erodes pricing and service competition and reduces the need for innovation.
The airline industry is quite competitive, and prices remain near all-time lows after adjusting for inflation. The problem is that air travel has become commoditized. While there may be a tiny population who want higher quality and are willing to pay for it, time has clearly shown that purchasers are overwhelmingly driven by price, and then secondarily by schedule. Any airline that tries to compete in the North American aviation market by providing a better product either goes bankrupt (Midwest Express) or changes course (JetBlue, AA More Room Throughout Coach). Even on the margins, you see the same effect ó most passengers who are willing to pay for PE or J donít appear to distinguish greatly between different PE or J products.

Iím not claiming this is universal, but you canít build a business the size of UAís by catering to niche customers. You cater to the lowest common denominator, which means bargain-basement airfares and service to match.

Personally, Iím fine with that: I want a cheap fare and enough room to sit my rear end. Thatís why I tend to fly UA, and thatís why I donít care if they make further cuts to the lounges I rarely use, or the catering I rarely eat, or whatever else.
Old May 22, 2024, 11:45 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
The airline industry is quite competitive, and prices remain near all-time lows after adjusting for inflation. The problem is that air travel has become commoditized. While there may be a tiny population who want higher quality and are willing to pay for it, time has clearly shown that purchasers are overwhelmingly driven by price, and then secondarily by schedule. Any airline that tries to compete in the North American aviation market by providing a better product either goes bankrupt (Midwest Express) or changes course (JetBlue, AA More Room Throughout Coach). Even on the margins, you see the same effect ó most passengers who are willing to pay for PE or J donít appear to distinguish greatly between different PE or J products.

Iím not claiming this is universal, but you canít build a business the size of UAís by catering to niche customers. You cater to the lowest common denominator, which means bargain-basement airfares and service to match.

Personally, Iím fine with that: I want a cheap fare and enough room to sit my rear end. Thatís why I tend to fly UA, and thatís why I donít care if they make further cuts to the lounges I rarely use, or the catering I rarely eat, or whatever else.
Overall the airline industry is in a kind of a balanced position at the moment. For both investors and customers, so we should relish it while we can. I am against any further consolidation because it will shift the balance to favor investors over customers. It is in the best interests of owners to drive out competition, this is very predictable behavior from companies, and we know where that will lead us. So the regulatory bodies should be vigilant. Consolidation has been a good thing for the airline industry. It has given us stability and reliability while maintaining a level of competition that keeps prices low which, as you rightly point out, is what the market wants. Much more important than gourmet food and all that nonsense.

So while consolidation has been good, it does not mean that more consolidation will be better. In fact I don't think it will. That's my point.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've said it before, but the one question I have about an airline run by FlyerTalkers is whether it would declare bankruptcy within six months of its inaugural flight or prior to flying at all.
I vote the latter. A good topic for a separate thread though.
jsloan and United747 like this.

Last edited by Bear96; May 23, 2024 at 3:07 am Reason: Fix quote
Old May 23, 2024, 5:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Understand what you were told and this WAS the prior requirement and we know the issues in getting the right info out of UA CS.

What I do know is the Chase PYB site makes no mention of the limitation while the old MP Choice Point did.
I have been unable to use PYB on my last 4 UA ticket transactions on my PPlus. This is the only explanation I can find. I have used it this year successfully on the Explorer AF and last year on the PPlus AF.
zombietooth likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Maybe my use of "inflation" isn't technically accurate - Econ 101 was a LONG time ago.
Award miles aren't solely tied to costs of flights. Lot of bonus miles, credit card miles, etc. are flooding the "currency". I thought that was a cause of inflation, but maybe there is a better term? And it seems a reasonable assumption that when tons of miles are chasing a limited supply, then redemption costs will go up...just as they have.

I think that is a part of it. Of course, depending on how redeemable miles are carried / computed by United on their books, their devaluation could mean a lessening of booked liability.
Or I wonder if miles are computed as more of a "cost to service" type of formula? I don't think I have heard much discussion on exactly how GAAP is applied to these.
"Demand-pull" inflation is literally too many dollars chasing too few goods. We have that with UA right now. Dynamic award pricing is the result. I have a GS client who quite literally doesn't care how much a J-award costs. He told me that he paid 1.6 million miles for just one J-trip to Iceland last year. Since he's sitting on more than 10 MM, I can see his perspective, but it sure seems like wasted miles. Just like the MileagePlus Merchandise Awards catalog, where the yield is often less than .5 cpm. I wonder how many are actually buying this stuff with miles. See here:

https://www.mileageplusawards.com
Old May 23, 2024, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
He told me that he paid 1.6 million miles for just one J-trip to Iceland last year. Since he's sitting on more than 10 MM, I can see his perspective, but it sure seems like wasted miles.
The GS more than likely didnt spend a single penny of his own money to acquire those 10MM miles, so the valuation is quite different.
ani90 and hhdl like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k American Platinum select Marriott Titanium Hilton Gold
"Demand-pull" inflation is literally too many dollars chasing too few goods. We have that with UA right now. Dynamic award pricing is the result. I have a GS client who quite literally doesn't care how much a J-award costs. He told me that he paid 1.6 million miles for just one J-trip to Iceland last year. Since he's sitting on more than 10 MM, I can see his perspective, but it sure seems like wasted miles. Just like the MileagePlus Merchandise Awards catalog, where the yield is often less than .5 cpm. I wonder how many are actually buying this stuff with miles. See here:

https://www.mileageplusawards.com
Yeah I find that to be stupid too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.