Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

... how do we fight back to UAL's latest devaluation of our points

... how do we fight back to UAL's latest devaluation of our points

Old May 21, 2024, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Stop playing UA's game and tell UA 'why' ... your $30k spent just went elsewhere ... if you wonder why, here it is. Same with cancelled credit card - send a note to UA CS to tell them why - they will take notice of both drops in business and notes they receive. Will that be enough? Maybe, maybe not - 95% of travelers will be oblivious to these changes. Unless the 5% make it hard for UA to ignore, nothing will change.
Old May 21, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
I am moving most of my spend from my cobranded United card to Amex
Old May 21, 2024, 11:30 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Spend what you have now and don't assign any meaningful value to points.

At the risk of sounding redundant, it's more and more time for free agency. Status and FF programmes offer little more than ego stroking so chose the airlines that best serves your needs and price rather than chasing points
I have found it almost sad when I talk to someone who has "saved" there points for years for whatever pie in the sky reason only to find out that the points are worth less now than they were years ago. I definitely use my points regularly and consider them more as another upgrade tool. While I am based out of SFO (mostly) almost by default UA is my go to carrier but more and more over the last several years I basically fly with whomever offers me the best deal at the best time and with the least painful routing. I no longer just fly UA because I have "status" with them or am a member of there FF program. I find that now almost silly.
uanj and PLeblond like this.

Last edited by nomad420; May 21, 2024 at 11:46 am
Old May 21, 2024, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tth6133
I'm not sure that is still the case with UA, but US airlines these days often make more money from credit card spending than from flying.
They should just stop flying then and enjoy the improvement to their bottom lines.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
Devaluation

I think the most impactful near to intermediate term is to cancel the cards and tell Chase that you will no longer be a credit card customer because of United's actions regarding the availability and mileage cost for rewards.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PLeblond
At the risk of sounding redundant, it's more and more time for free agency. Status and FF programmes offer little more than ego stroking so chose the airlines that best serves your needs and price rather than chasing points
Free agency and rewards are loosely correlated at best. I agree that concentrating your travel with a particular airline because you want to redeem miles with that airline is probably not a great idea. But having UA status offers me a meaningful discount on every domestic flight I take: I get E+ for free, at booking, from any E+ seat on the seatmap. This is a benefit that I would pay for (and have done so) on other airlines. It has nothing to do with "ego."
SPN Lifer, uanj, United747 and 4 others like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
But having UA status offers me a meaningful discount on every domestic flight I take: I get E+ for free, at booking, from any E+ seat on the seatmap. This is a benefit that I would pay for (and have done so) on other airlines. It has nothing to do with "ego."
I have MM status with UA, and the benefits that has brought to me and my family is deep into the tens of thousands of dollars over the years. Are the miles portions of those benefits worth less than they used to be? Yes, definitely. Is there any sense that devaluation of miles is new? Not if you've been paying attention.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Kannai and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bear96
They should just stop flying then and enjoy the improvement to their bottom lines.
They would if they could. But they can't. Without flying, they can't issue mileage currencies, which induce cardholders to sign up for and spend on their credit cards.
Old May 21, 2024, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jpezaris
I have MM status with UA, and the benefits that has brought to me and my family is deep into the tens of thousands of dollars over the years. Are the miles portions of those benefits worth less than they used to be? Yes, definitely. Is there any sense that devaluation of miles is new? Not if you've been paying attention.
I am older than I choose to admit and I have been a UA FF member for decades. Years back I calculated miles at a minimum value of 1.5 to 2 cents/mile today I find they now run more like 1.0 cents/mile. Combine that with inflated air fares and you have a clear sense of devaluation. Now how new this is is debatable, to me the value has slowly degraded over years but seemly taken a bigger hit over the last 2 years. I as well am LT Gold as a MM flyer but I find the perceived value of that much lower than apparently you do but as always YMMV.
Old May 21, 2024, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tth6133
I'm not sure that is still the case with UA, but US airlines these days often make more money from credit card spending than from flying.
The people who make these claims seem to assume that the revenue from the CC companies is somehow pure profit (if you look at their revenue from CC companies, it's still significantly less than revenue from spend on actual flying). Of course it's difficult to actually break down the true costs of the award redemptions and the liability it creates on the books, but nonetheless the costs/liabilities do exist and that revenue is not in fact pure profit. And, as noted above, without the actual flying, the CC company revenue would basically go poof.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
1. I don't think Chase really cares if you cancel their card or not - it would take tens of thousands of cancellations to move the needle, and even then United may tell Chase "too bad"

2. At PMCO, we could sit down with senior management at their events and discuss concerns and receive relatively transparent feedback on what was realistic and possible - under Kellner, the company cared what we thought. You have the exact opposite at United today. Not only did this decision come with purpose, look who is running MP - a former leader of arguably the most hated company in America, who reports to a disciple of Baldanza, the most hated airline manager in history (after Lorenzo). Not only do they not care, they already believe United is the greatest airline product and service on the planet - which is like Hershey's saying "we're better than Teuscher". I'm sure this is a combination of both a business decision, and a "just stick it to them for the heck of it"

3. Unless you're looking at relatively fixed redemption options, like *A Upgrade Awards, collecting MP miles for free tickets is almost a fool's errand. By the time you have enough to redeem for a premium ticket, the amount needed will increase. I stopped collecting UA miles and just focus on Amex points which can be redeemed for either mileage tickets (via a transfer) or a revenue ticket

Years ago Save SkyMiles succeeded at undoing a host of anti-customer hostile actions by Delta under Mullin - who lost his job to the effect of that campaign - but we're in a different world now and no one really cares anymore. Fly us, don't fly us - we don't care because someone else will buy your seat.
cesco.g, ani90 and Say Vandelay like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:27 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Free agency and rewards are loosely correlated at best. I agree that concentrating your travel with a particular airline because you want to redeem miles with that airline is probably not a great idea. But having UA status offers me a meaningful discount on every domestic flight I take: I get E+ for free, at booking, from any E+ seat on the seatmap. This is a benefit that I would pay for (and have done so) on other airlines. It has nothing to do with "ego."
Understood and yes, I agree there are still some value, especially if maintaining organically and even better if someone else if paying for it. Also IRROPS protection is to me, the most important.

However, should the delta between UA-Y and another carriers equivalent E+ not be beneficial then it's time to consider others. I recently booked a flight for my brother who is well on his way to back to *G on AC. He needed to fly from YUL to CMH. UA/AC was $1,500 in Y and 2 one ways DL/AA in J totalled $800. Guess which one he chose. And this isn't the first time this happened.

Mainly my point is with a good credit card, a lounge membership and simple searching the benefits of free agency are very appealing.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, uanj and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:02 pm

You are correct, when "shopping" for fares I absolutely take into consideration the benefits I get from UA FF programs. I get the free E+ upgrade, preselected seats, free baggage, lounge access, etc... For example I recently bought a F class ticket from DL (minimal status) for a slightly higher price than the UA E+ ticket and still claimed the same UA benefits if not more with the DL flight (plus in this case the flight times were better). Having said that the reverse situation is also very common.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
just view miles as equal to .$.01

they do not drop below that value
Unfortunately, no. Further depreciation can occur with no notice. Bankruptcy can also zero out every account.

Jiburi
LaserSailor likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:19 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by jiburi
Unfortunately, no. Further depreciation can occur with no notice. Bankruptcy can also zero out every account.

Jiburi
Also related to the OP post "our points". If you read the TCs you will note that its indicated that you do no actually own any of the points. UA owns them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.