Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

... how do we fight back to UAL's latest devaluation of our points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2024, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k American Platinum select Marriott Titanium Hilton Gold

Is anyone else irritated on how bad United is crushing us with the mileage devaluation in back to back years. It now costs more to go 1000 miles domestically than it did in Europe.
The question is how do we fight back? Cancel all of our cards?
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Fight back by stop wasting your money flying United.
dw, roberto99, worldtrav and 26 others like this.
Old May 20, 2024, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA
Canceling your UA co-branded credit cards is likely to have the largest impact in my opinion
dw, roberto99, rankourabu and 13 others like this.
Old May 20, 2024, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u
I'm not sure that is still the case with UA, but US airlines these days often make more money from credit card spending than from flying.
Old May 20, 2024, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
just view miles as equal to .$.01

they do not drop below that value
uanj, boeingair, Mr. BoH and 1 others like this.
Old May 20, 2024, 7:40 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by goofy flyer
The question is how do we fight back?
We? Who exactly are the "we"? 🤔
Old May 20, 2024, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rch4u
Absolutely but unfortunately I'm hubbed in Houston where they have a monopoly.

Originally Posted by ani90
We? Who exactly are the "we"? 🤔
we da people

Originally Posted by angetenar
Canceling your UA co-branded credit cards is likely to have the largest impact in my opinion
yup thinking about it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 2024 at 11:49 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 21, 2024, 12:05 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
Originally Posted by goofy flyer
Absolutely but unfortunately I'm hubbed in Houston where they have a monopoly.

we da people

yup thinking about it.
UA does not have a monopoly in Houston. WN has a very strong presence. Hobby is expanding again (though I fired WN 5 years ago due to a lack of J or O)
United747 likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:57 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Yeah, voting with our feet is our only option. Of course with only three major network carriers with international alliances, options are few. Skypesos are an even worse value proposition, though United is getting close.

I have switched my international flying partially to Emirates, which suits my geographic situation, and I have their credit card, but you can head over to that forum and see the same complaints about devaluation and lack of award availability.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:51 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Airlines have the ability to print their own currency as much as they like. As with a government that prints too much money, the result is inflation.
Also, according to this recent study the vast majority of people get points consider them as a bonus and don't consider the value. https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cont...y%20Report.pdf

This will not end soon and don't think any other airline is better as they are all now basically banks that operate airplanes versus the other way around.

Spend what you have now and don't assign any meaningful value to points.

At the risk of sounding redundant, it's more and more time for free agency. Status and FF programmes offer little more than ego stroking so chose the airlines that best serves your needs and price rather than chasing points
Old May 21, 2024, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by angetenar (Post # 3)
Originally Posted by mecabq (Post # 9)
Yeah, voting with our feet is our only option. Of course with only three major network carriers with international alliances, options are few.
The co-branded credit card cancellation option would seem far more effective.
dcpdxtrans likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I know its tougher in hubs going free agent really feels good. It was actually Deltas program change that finally pushed me and I downgraded the Amex (I had always tried to be at least gold with them).

For example just had to go to DC. Best route for me is LGA-DCA and the old me would have compromised and done either EWR-DCA or LGA-IAD. Now its DL in basic economy. I save money and get the same service with all the turbulence.

Longer and international flights will go if I can afford J or O. I have saved enough to justify a LH first fare during the summer so something to look forward to.

My status right now has never been lower in the past 5-10 years and my experience had never been better.

Again sorry for the hub captives but do the best you can to compress their margins.
Old May 21, 2024, 7:39 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The co-branded credit card cancellation option would seem far more effective.
+1 You can always sign up again in a few months/years when they have a 150K offer.
SPN Lifer and Kannai like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
UA does not have a monopoly in Houston. WN has a very strong presence. Hobby is expanding again (though I fired WN 5 years ago due to a lack of J or O)
I prefer wn but I'm too old to cattle call for seats. Much better airline and both of us wish they had business spacious seats
Old May 21, 2024, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I still fly UA but have dropped down to Silver, have started flying other airlines, and importantly, shifted most spend to Amex. I have been pretty successful redeeming MR for travel on UA for a lot less miles through Avianca/AC and have also had luck on AF, VS, and others for less than required by Skypesos.
jcturnbull likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.