Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Given all the devaluations happening, are there literally any sweet spots/value left?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Given all the devaluations happening, are there literally any sweet spots/value left?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 8:44 am

Programs: None - previously UA
88K for business partner awards, N America to Southern Africa is still a sweet spot. They are almost impossible to book which is likely why they are still available.
BOSskier likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
88K for business partner awards, N America to Southern Africa is still a sweet spot. They are almost impossible to book which is likely why they are still available.
Most of the saver J award pricing is still reasonable on a relative basis (i.e., compared to other major programs). The problem is a near-total lack of availability. To redeem for those these days typically requires a level of flexibility which I do not have.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
My redemptions the past couple years have mostly been intra-Europe LH/LX for 8k in Y.
+1 on this, though I think this one has increased to 12.5k or similar. Nothing devastating and I'll still probably redeem some miles in this way, but nowhere near the outstanding value it was at 8k.

I've also used a decent stash of miles to upgrade *A partner flights, which I've found to be a reasonable deal for the itineraries I fly.

Meanwhile intra-Africa is 99k now.
escapefromphl likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:15 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
MileagePlus has skydived from being historically one of the best FFPs to the bottom.

Now UA is consistent in all rankings (in the bottom half of list):

customer satisfaction
on-time record
airline meals
baggage delays (and missing)
maintenance
negative press
most Max exposure (amongst the Big3)
least partner awards

I guess UA is no longer consistently inconsistent anymore when it comes to rankings.
Why should UA make changes when enough flyers are still sucking at the teat of its FF program; and to these loyalists it is a UA or bust for them. I don't see why any company would initiate changes when nothing is broken from its perspective.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by nygiants242
What is left as the best use of miles at this point? Upgrade + copay? Other geographies/routes? Super disappointed in UA.
Upgrade + copay is what I'll most likely be using my miles for going forward (assuming I can jump the waitlist).
Old May 2, 2024, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Closer in domestic one ways in Coach are still out there for <13-15k one way. Nearly at the old 25k saver RT level.

Keep in mind some of these are cardmember exclusive discounted rates
Old May 2, 2024, 1:05 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Closer in domestic one ways in Coach are still out there for <13-15k one way. Nearly at the old 25k saver RT level.

Keep in mind some of these are cardmember exclusive discounted rates
Yes I have been seeing more of these in the past six months. Tells you how much United must be earning from these cards.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by dkc192

Meanwhile intra-Africa is 99k now.
I expect NA<->SA to double shortly to 190k each way at least
Old May 2, 2024, 2:18 pm

I expect NA<->SA to double shortly to 190k each way at least
Thank goodness we now have mileage pooling!
Old May 2, 2024, 2:33 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Thank goodness we now have mileage pooling!
An answer in search of a problem. 🤣
Old May 2, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
I don't see why any company would initiate changes when nothing is broken from its perspective.
Except they have initiated changes, for the worse.

Closer in domestic one ways in Coach are still out there for <13-15k one way.
Also occasionally a good way to accumulate additional PQFs, if needed.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Anyone who thinks these are a good deal should check AA and AS pricing. I'm regularly flying PHX-SFO in F for 9k AS.

Even DL offers better domestic pricing than UA.
MatthewLAX, leoo, Repooc17 and 2 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Anyone who thinks these are a good deal should check AA and AS pricing. I'm regularly flying PHX-SFO in F for 9k AS.

I got 25K AA J transcon via AS, and it wasn't a phantom

Also devalued big time, but I feel AS is still relatively good, recently got South America to US in J for 50K on LATAM.

For UA and in general, don't horde your miles, as they will devalue. Earn and burn, earn and burn.

At the very least, for the earn and hold group, there is definitely more value by keeping your earnings in Chase UR, which has greater flexibility than UA miles.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:33 pm

I was pleased to get 3 day advance SMF-DFW on UA for 13k. UA doesnt have a crap ton of seats out of either endpoint either.

My larger point is the historical Saver chart has been 12.5k one way and we still see this or close to it. That hasnt been devalued to oblivion. Yet.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Most of the saver J award pricing is still reasonable on a relative basis (i.e., compared to other major programs). The problem is a near-total lack of availability. To redeem for those these days typically requires a level of flexibility which I do not have.
Even as someone with nearly unlimited flexibility, finding 88k Saver J on a real carrier (i.e. not Ethiopian) has been a challenge. I'm really only finding stuff close in (~3 days out or so)

The unfortunate reality [across all mileage programs] is that demand vastly exceeds available supply. I can't think of any mileage program where you can login today and easily find a Saver J award to a destination of your choice. It just doesn't exist.
WandertheWorld and jmw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.