Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Given all the devaluations happening, are there literally any sweet spots/value left?

Given all the devaluations happening, are there literally any sweet spots/value left?

Old May 2, 2024, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Even as someone with nearly unlimited flexibility, finding 88k Saver J on a real carrier (i.e. not Ethiopian) has been a challenge.
I have booked a lot of 88ks on 'real' carriers in the past 3 months. They can be found ...
Old May 2, 2024, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Even as someone with nearly unlimited flexibility, finding 88k Saver J on a real carrier (i.e. not Ethiopian) has been a challenge.
Not sure what you have against ET, but if I needed to go to Africa and could find space on a route reliably operated by non-788 aircraft (as the majority of those have angle-flat seats in J), I would be content to fly them.
rankourabu likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Even as someone with nearly unlimited flexibility, finding 88k Saver J on a real carrier (i.e. not Ethiopian) has been a challenge. I'm really only finding stuff close in (~3 days out or so).
I would fly ET anyday over the likes of AC or LH, or even UA. Its essentially the same seat as Polaris out of YYZ in 1-2-1, but with better food and overall service.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
I have booked a lot of 88ks on 'real' carriers in the past 3 months. They can be found ...
I have too, but there seems to be a lot of phantom inventory at UA (cross-referenced with Aeroplan), and just as of recent, a lack of inventory on LH, LX, and OS wherever I look - excluding close-in bookings. I wonder if inventory is being withheld by all until re-pricing occurs? Who knows.

FWIW, I had a recent experience where an agent was able to manually piece together an itinerary including UA and a non-UA carrier, and have it manually priced for 88k. The agent was also fed up with how plagued the website was with providing phantom options (at phantom prices).
Old May 2, 2024, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
88K for business partner awards, N America to Southern Africa is still a sweet spot. They are almost impossible to book which is likely why they are still available.
I was shocked to see these 88k tickets out there.... I just booked 2 tickets in J to the Maldives in TK/EK. I am certain these 88k tickets will be gone soon enough.....
Old May 2, 2024, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I was shocked to see these 88k tickets out there.... I just booked 2 tickets in J to the Maldives in TK/EK. I am certain these 88k tickets will be gone soon enough.....
Oh no here we go
Kacee, 36902BRF and cjglick like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
My larger point is the historical Saver chart has been 12.5k one way and we still see this or close to it. That hasnt been devalued to oblivion. Yet.
It's a valid point. I would counter that (a) it's now a "special" discount, and - more importantly - (b) X and XN availability have gotten really poor.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just noticed HKT-SIN in SQ Y went up from 8.8k to 12.5k in Y and 27.5k to 30k in J
...also saw HI interisland flights in HA Y went from 7k to 12.5k but I'm not sure if that's recent as I hadn't checked that in a long time

Last edited by kevflyer; May 2, 2024 at 10:00 pm
Old May 2, 2024, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by tth6133
This is the first time in a long time that I can't decide which program is worse between MileageMinus and SkyPesos. I stopped accumulating SkyPesos a long time ago (so I don't have many DL miles), but I didn't stop accumulating UA miles until about a year ago so I still sit on a pile of UA miles.
Ditto though I have a 300k+ stash on both.Repeatedly Tried to burn them all but had to cancel a bunch of awards during the pandemic. I now get deal alerts every week but very few that makes sense for using UA miles (and never for Skypesos)

I do feel sorry for the road warriors who have to figure out where to credit RDM (assuming status/EQD doesnt drive the decision). Not too many good options left.

Anybody who doesnt keep airline-branded credit cards in the sock drawer needs a math lesson. 2% cash cards look better every day
Old May 3, 2024, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Anybody who doesnt keep airline-branded credit cards in the sock drawer needs a math lesson. 2% cash cards look better every day
I agree that very few airline-cobranded credit cards (especially DL- and UA-cobranded cards) are worth putting any spend on, but I don't necessarily think 2% cashback cards are the best alternatives. I have a few of them but they're also in my sock drawer. For general spending, there're quite a few credit cards that generate 2 transferrable miles/points per $ spent, with or without annual fees.
Old May 3, 2024, 7:57 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by kevflyer
Just noticed HKT-SIN in SQ Y went up from 8.8k to 12.5k in Y and 27.5k to 30k in J
...also saw HI interisland flights in HA Y went from 7k to 12.5k but I'm not sure if that's recent as I hadn't checked that in a long time
Same here for all SQ regional flights. Roughly 13k UA miles + about USD 50 in taxes for tickets with cash prices of USD 150.
Boraxo and kevflyer like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Free wifi? I think I have enough miles in my account to get free wifi for everyone on every flight I'll take for the rest of my traveling life ...
arma5 and notquiteaff like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo

With the limited exception of the occasional promo or a small PQP topoff . I also save it in the app if I ever buy a snack box (hopefully never).
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a valid point. I would counter that (a) it's now a "special" discount, and - more importantly - (b) X and XN availability have gotten really poor.
And the fact that X isn't necessarily released to partners anymore may be away UA tries to distinguish itself, but it's not working for me.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by tth6133
I agree that very few airline-cobranded credit cards (especially DL- and UA-cobranded cards) are worth putting any spend on, but I don't necessarily think 2% cashback cards are the best alternatives. I have a few of them but they're also in my sock drawer. For general spending, there're quite a few credit cards that generate 2 transferrable miles/points per $ spent, with or without annual fees.
The smart play is have a 2% cash back card, and pair it with a premium travel card, so you can have the flexibility of cash back or as a transferrable currency (despite not being designated as one).

The even smarter play is to have 5% cash back on enough year-round bonus categories and/or make them transferrable on options, so you are always getting top ROIs. You might end up with 20+ credit cards, but if you do it right, you will still have top end credit scores and zero airline branded cards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.