Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Given all the devaluations happening, are there literally any sweet spots/value left?

Given all the devaluations happening, are there literally any sweet spots/value left?

Old May 3, 2024, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Excursionist perk still works.

Can cancel out the 99K intra-Afrifa J award...
jsloan and shdflyer like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by Repooc17
The smart play is have a 2% cash back card, and pair it with a premium travel card, so you can have the flexibility of cash back or as a transferrable currency (despite not being designated as one).

The even smarter play is to have 5% cash back on enough year-round bonus categories and/or make them transferrable on options, so you are always getting top ROIs. You might end up with 20+ credit cards, but if you do it right, you will still have top end credit scores and zero airline branded cards
Agree with most of that, and I have 20+ credit cards. I disagree about airline branded, when used for specific purposes.

Between the regular category bonuses, and this quarter's bonus, I am earning 5x on UA spend, 4x on other travel and restaurants this quarter on my Quest card. In addition I will earn 850 PQP for the same spend, which is not worth nothing to me. Based on the other perks for my three UA branded cards and I will be holding all of them, yet only spending when I get sufficient earnings from it.
Old May 3, 2024, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Excursionist perk still works.

Can cancel out the 99K intra-Afrifa J award...
with the limitations of that perk though. Have found numerous cases where I want 2 one-ways perhaps on different alliances or one paid and other one award etc. Africa is also more than 1 zone.

We will find ways to somehow work with this new world, but the limitations are growing in addition to pricing. Not good
Old May 3, 2024, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
And the fact that X isn't necessarily released to partners anymore may be away UA tries to distinguish itself, but it's not working for me.
Maybe if it were accompanied by an increase in X via MP, but from what I've seen recently X availability is moving in the other direction.
Old May 3, 2024, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
We will find ways to somehow work with this new world, but the limitations are growing in addition to pricing.
My solution:

All airline tix on AMEX Plat.
AS as primary FFP.

Sorry UA, you don't really figure into this.
Old May 3, 2024, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A
Agree with most of that, and I have 20+ credit cards. I disagree about airline branded, when used for specific purposes.

Between the regular category bonuses, and this quarter's bonus, I am earning 5x on UA spend, 4x on other travel and restaurants this quarter on my Quest card. In addition I will earn 850 PQP for the same spend, which is not worth nothing to me. Based on the other perks for my three UA branded cards and I will be holding all of them, yet only spending when I get sufficient earnings from it.
If you are UA centric, that's good. I fly just about every US carrier, so I don't need bonus UA miles and PQP. Plus, my non-UA credit cards have 5% on air travel, other travel and restaurants all year around
Old May 3, 2024, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I've found the redemption values on offer to be quite pathetic (As I think we all know) .. I canceled my club card a while ago. These days its better to just buy what you want to use.

very little of the game is worth playing anymore, sadly, I think some of us had a lot of fun , now its just in an inflationary spiral.

Even in Canada, the good private banking cards effectively yield a 2.5% return if you redeem the right way, and that's without real complications... O/W I think straight 2% cash or one of the transferrable currencies is the way to go. If you're going to be flying one airline and don't have status, the branded card may be reasonable just for the conveniences for bags and such.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MP, AA Advantage, IHG, HH
Definitely don't hoard miles, cycle through them consistently. AU has typically been high on redemption value along with some odd partner flights in the Pacific / African regions.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
My solution:

All airline tix on AMEX Plat.
AS as primary FFP.

Sorry UA, you don't really figure into this.
Interesting. Mine is:
  • JPM (CSR) for all airline tix due to exceptional travel insurance
  • OW >2 hours on legacy carrier that has cheapest E+ seating
  • OW <2 hours usually WN (CP can reduce total cost)
UA has an edge as I get free E+ due to Gold status. But AS often has cheaper F. I expect AS will be more competitive once I have status.

UA
Old May 3, 2024, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Anybody who doesn’t keep airline-branded credit cards in the sock drawer needs a math lesson. 2% cash cards look better every day
Chase has been giving me $100 retention bonuses for my Explorer card for the last two years, so I have kept it in the sock drawer for occasional Chase Offers or MyBonus spend offers or UA spend offers.

But I think it makes sense to clean up that sock drawer now. I will keep my Gateway card, which happens to be a reincarnation of my original UA Platinum turned into UA Select Visa, born over 20 years ago (and thus my oldest Visa/MC).

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Cancel your Explorer card though to send a message.
Yup.

These recent devaluations will also impact my desire to earn more UR. Other than pandemic-era PYB I have primarily used them for UA and Hyatt transfers. I am sitting on about 300k, and that is a lot of Hyatt nights for a free agent who doesn’t particularly care about elite qualifying nights and brand loyalty. I really need to work out where to best direct my spend going forward.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Closer in domestic one ways in Coach are still out there for <13-15k one way. Nearly at the old 25k saver RT level.
Originally Posted by econ
Also occasionally a good way to accumulate additional PQFs, if needed.
I thought we didn't get credit for award flights? Did the change to PQPs and PQFs mean we get credti for PQFs even if we don't get PQPs? Dang, I could have taken a bunch of "cheap" domestic flights to get the segments I needed for 1K last year. Oh well.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I thought we didn't get credit for award flights? Did the change to PQPs and PQFs mean we get credti for PQFs even if we don't get PQPs? Dang, I could have taken a bunch of "cheap" domestic flights to get the segments I needed for 1K last year. Oh well.
Since 1 Jan 2023
PQP/PQF Posting for Award Travel / Mileage Upgrades on UA Flights
Both, 1 PQP per 100 award miles and 1 PQF per segment

How has PQP earnings on Award flights changed your decision process?
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 2024 at 5:35 pm Reason: additional thread
Old May 4, 2024, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Thanks, I missed that announcement.
Old May 5, 2024, 12:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, UA Gold, VS Gold
Cancelled our UA cards yesterday. This is really sad. No advance notice whatsoever. They've really bombed the trust.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I now get deal alerts every week but very few that makes sense for using UA miles (and never for Skypesos)
What kind of deal alerts are you referring to?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.