Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

united.com/preordermeals
Fall 2022 -- Only rare occasion widebodies and still hit or miss on narrow bodies.

Originally Posted by bsb7140
Signature preorder is expanding starting May 1st.

SFO/LAX/IAD narrowbody flights +1500 miles and flights between hubs over 800 miles. ORD also has signature preorder on narrowbody flights over 1500 miles.
Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class -- 800 mile threshold, preorder still narrowbody only

uncomfirmed but source of earlier changes
Originally Posted by bsb7140
Beginning August 1st pre-order will expand to ALL flights over 800 miles in the premium cabin (including widebody and Intl) excluding flights from Europe.

UA is offering pre-order first class meal selection for selected domestic departures.
You receive, 4-5 days in advance, an individualized link to a selection of meals (with a caution these are not guaranteed)
generic link -- https://united.com/preordermeals
You have up until 24 hours prior to the flight to make a selection.
Note if the FA does not look in the right place on their iPhone, they may not see the pre-selection.
You can change your mind on the plane and make a different selection
If you change flights, the request is canceled and not transferred to the new flight

Initially offered on select departure from LAX (in Aug 2019) and then IAD
Some x-DEN flights started to appear in Jan 2020

Sample email
Hi there,

We're happy to offer a variety of meals that you can preorder for flight UA XXXX on YYYY ZZZZ from AAA to BBB. Visit our meal selection page at united.com/preordermeals to choose your meal preference* from our menu of available options.

You can select your meal preference starting five days before your departure and up to 24 hours before your flight(s). If you don't want to choose a meal right now, you can let us know what you'd like to eat when you're on board.

Thank you for flying with us.

*After you select your entree, we'll do our best to reserve it for your flight(s). We try to serve you the meal you chose, but we can't guarantee it since availability of meal options may change. If you choose a meal and then decide that you'd like something different, we're happy to offer other meal options on board.

Print Wikipost

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Well, so if I pre-order for my family of 5 and I also want to order extra items, will this system a) handle one person ordering 15 Tapas boxes, 3 AHAs, 10 cans of potato chips, etc.
Haven't used UA's system yet as it hasn't launched, but for AS's you can select food for each passenger on the reservation, up to 1 meal each. Obviously UA's may work differently since it includes snacks and beverages.

and then b) if we don't make our connection because UA's forced us to purchase connecting flights
United does not force anyone to purchase connecting flights. You take risks when you book a connection, including that you may lose your seats, pre-ordered meal, or upgrade if you miss your connection and are reaccomodated on a later flight.

what happens to our order? And does UA charge me anyway out of spite for making the order?
Based on the wording of the announcement and the practice of other airlines, it sounds like you only get charged if you are in the seat to receive the food, so no worries about that.

Look, no one is making you use this new option. You can continue to buy in the airport, bring your own, or buy on board from remaining options if you prefer. For a lot of us this is an improvement, since we can book ahead and know they won't run out.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by threeoh
United does not force anyone to purchase connecting flights.
Right now, with how UA's reduced its domestic schedule and only flying into specific airports from specific hubs, yes, it is forcing me to purchase connecting flights.

You take risks when you book a connection, including that you may lose your seats, pre-ordered meal, or upgrade if you miss your connection and are reaccomodated on a later flight.
Yup. Them's the risks.

Look, no one is making you use this new option. You can continue to buy in the airport, bring your own, or buy on board from remaining options if you prefer. For a lot of us this is an improvement, since we can book ahead and know they won't run out.
It's only an improvement if UA has an effective system that we, the caterers, the FAs, etc. can use.

Can't wait.

David
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Merolis
Are they going to load extra for these preorders, or is it just going to be a scramble for what is left in the carts? Also I'd assume for premium cabin this will let people get their first choice without being GS/1K or am I being too hopeful?
Presumably, they'd load the specific pre-orders for those who ordered them - I'd suspect similar to how they provided special meals for those who ordered them in the past (although...given the records on that...maybe don't expect too much?). And then guesstimate how many of what items they'd need for the rest of the cabin, similar to how they do it today, just with presumably a bit tougher way of getting it accurate with less potential orders for these.

I'm waiting to see what the deal will be on the cutoff to order. i.e., will you be able to order if you are upgraded at T-24? Clearly, if upgraded at the gate, you wouldn't have a chance to pre-order. And as I wondered upthread, how will that affect the choice for these customers. I realize no system is perfect, but if you have a history of, say, knowing in general how to roughly accurately predict the preferences of a 16-seat F cabin - clearly, it's not always going to be 100% accurate, but much of the time, it would presumably come close. But let's say that 16-seat F cabin is full, but there are only 4 that couldn't pre-order - the chances of being as accurate with the smaller number is less. 2 vegetarians, for example, and you may have an issue.

Also, in IRROPS, what will happen? Will the order transfer over to the new flight if there is, say, 2 hours notice of the change? 3? Some other number? Or would it just get removed, and you could order whatever is left on the new flight.

Originally Posted by getagb
They're going to load based on the orders, plus add some extra stuff for non-preorders. It's going to be really helpful for reducing waste, especially as they add back more perishable stuff.
I'd say that is potential, but again, will depend on uptake and how good their forecasting model is for the rest of the pax. Forecasting based on a smaller number of pax is probably trickier (although if fresh food isn't involved, presumably unopened snack boxes could be used for other flights).

Originally Posted by jsloan
And if you're in 5E, you get the "Limited Recline" box, which gets squashed whenever they open a "Recline" box elsewhere.
I believe the limited recline box only contains 70% of the items of the regular recline box (which 70% will be a mystery&#128512.

I wish you could order more than 5 days in advance...often I'm busy on a trip and would rather order for the outbound and the return before leaving home. Hopefully this window will expand when the program is more mature (as well as the addition of fresh and even hot options).
Agreed, this would be really good for fresh options. One of the issues with fresh options is, IIRC, any leftovers need to be thrown out after the flight. Snackboxes, I don't think that's the case. It would be great, if at a minimum, fresh food could be available on flights of at least X miles, exclusively available for pre-order, and then snacks available to buy on board or pre-order.

Well, so if I pre-order for my family of 5 and I also want to order extra items, will this system a) handle one person ordering 15 Tapas boxes, 3 AHAs, 10 cans of potato chips, etc. and then b) if we don't make our connection because UA's forced us to purchase connecting flights, what happens to our order?

And does UA charge me anyway out of spite for making the order?

David
The release is clear that you are only charged when you receive it at your seat. I'm not sure where the disconnect is. So no charge if you aren't in the seat to receive it. As for misconnects, that was my question above. Is there some cutoff where the order would follow the change?

United does not force anyone to purchase connecting flights. You take risks when you book a connection, including that you may lose your seats, pre-ordered meal, or upgrade if you miss your connection and are reaccomodated on a later flight.
Right now, with how UA's reduced its domestic schedule and only flying into specific airports from specific hubs, yes, it is forcing me to purchase connecting flights.
Nobody is forced to purchase connecting flight, no matter UAs routing options...at the moment...or ever. If you want to fly UA specifically, then yes, connecting might be your only option, but certainly, there's no one 'forcing' you to book that. There are other airlines - if you want to fly nonstop, you can pick an airline that offers the nonstop service (if available).

Look, I need to go SFO-YYZ in October, UAs nonstops don't start until November. So for my trip, I can choose to get on AC nonstop, or fly UA (or another carrier) with a connection. Nobody is forcing me to take the UA connection (and based on the nonstop pricing being cheaper, I'd say UA is not only not 'forcing' me to fly a UA connection, but even encouraging me not to).
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I don't care what it tastes like, if the first ten items on the ingredients list are not pronounceable by non chemists I don't want it.
I don't know what they use onboard, but this is the sausage ingredient list from one of the main plant-based companies:

Water, Pea Protein*, Refined Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavor, Contains 2% or less of: Rice Protein, Faba Bean Protein, Potato Starch, Salt, Fruit Juice (For Color), Vegetable Juice (For Color), Apple Fiber, Methylcellulose, Citrus Extract (To Protect Quality), Calcium Alginate Casing

And here are the ingredients from a meat based one:

PORK SALIVARY GLANDS AND FAT, CHORIZO SEASONING (PAPRIKA, SALT, SPICES, MUSTARD, GARLIC POWDER), PORK, VINEGAR, SOY GRITS, SODIUM NITRITE.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Doppy
I don't know what they use onboard, but this is the sausage ingredient list from one of the main plant-based companies:

Water, Pea Protein*, Refined Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavor, Contains 2% or less of: Rice Protein, Faba Bean Protein, Potato Starch, Salt, Fruit Juice (For Color), Vegetable Juice (For Color), Apple Fiber, Methylcellulose, Citrus Extract (To Protect Quality), Calcium Alginate Casing

PORK SALIVARY GLANDS AND FAT, CHORIZO SEASONING (PAPRIKA, SALT, SPICES, MUSTARD, GARLIC POWDER), PORK, VINEGAR, SOY GRITS, SODIUM NITRITE.
Yum!

David
Old Jul 30, 2021, 5:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Doppy

Call me an anti faux'er but I don't want any part of it. I get enough chemical input as it is. I'm sure that I'm already pumped so full of preservatives that I won't require embalming when I pass on.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Who eats pork salivary glands without sodium nitrite?

Mucho gusto, UA!
Old Aug 7, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Have a flight 8/10 ORD-SMF. Got the email a couple days ago about this option - but do not see any way to actually pre-order. Clicked the link in the email, it takes me to a page explaining the program, but the only thing to click on is a button that says "View Current Trip Details", which takes me to the general reservation information page with the usual change/cancel/seat change etc options, but I don't see anything about food/beverage pre-order. (Currently in Y.)

Did they just abandon this and forget to disable the emails?
Old Aug 7, 2021, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Didn't UA pilot F preorder already two years ago?

They are literally years behind the competition. Pretty pathetic that they are still at the pilot stage.
Are AA and DL offering these on domestic flights in F & Y?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Looks like United isn't actually doing this. Still no option to select anything for my Wednesday ORD-SMF flight on either the website or the app despite getting an email advertising the program 4 days ago.

Last edited by raehl311; Aug 9, 2021 at 9:27 pm
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by smartytravel
Are they charging $10 for a half-filled plastic cup of water yet?
While you're joking here, US Air did charge for water (I think $2, just like for a can of Coke or any other non-alcoholic beverage) a few years before they were bought by AA.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
For the 2nd (of 2) times Ive flown with the option to pre-select my meal (now for a Thursday ORD-SEA), there is only a single choice to choose from. For this flight, a vegi enchilada with Spanish rice. Am I missing the point??
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by cmculp
For the 2nd (of 2) times Ive flown with the option to pre-select my meal (now for a Thursday ORD-SEA), there is only a single choice to choose from. For this flight, a vegi enchilada with Spanish rice. Am I missing the point??
You're doing better than me, I got the email but there seemed to be no way to select options at all.

For you if you select now, it "reserves" the selection for the flight so you should get it before anyone else.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
In theory, it solves the who gets which of the two options problem by matching supply to demand. As a 1K, this shouldnt have been a frequent problem, but it was due to the front to back ordering.

but if you are going to serve a single thing, why bother?

**Could it be that there are 2 choices, catered in usual ratio, and the other choice has already been maxed out?**
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Plentry of reports in the past of things running out toward the back
Right! That's potentially one of the big wins here, for those in coach. In the Before Times (back when half of E+ was 1k's) I had a tradeoff to make -- choose row 7 or 8 if I want a tapas box, or choose row 21 if I want the legroom. Here, I can have my tapas box *and* my legroom? That sounds promising.

Bonus that I might be able to avoid the standard interaction from the window seat of "Juice Drop IPA please" "what?" "beer!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.