Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

united.com/preordermeals
Fall 2022 -- Only rare occasion widebodies and still hit or miss on narrow bodies.

Originally Posted by bsb7140
Signature preorder is expanding starting May 1st.

SFO/LAX/IAD narrowbody flights +1500 miles and flights between hubs over 800 miles. ORD also has signature preorder on narrowbody flights over 1500 miles.
Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class -- 800 mile threshold, preorder still narrowbody only

uncomfirmed but source of earlier changes
Originally Posted by bsb7140
Beginning August 1st pre-order will expand to ALL flights over 800 miles in the premium cabin (including widebody and Intl) excluding flights from Europe.

UA is offering pre-order first class meal selection for selected domestic departures.
You receive, 4-5 days in advance, an individualized link to a selection of meals (with a caution these are not guaranteed)
generic link -- https://united.com/preordermeals
You have up until 24 hours prior to the flight to make a selection.
Note if the FA does not look in the right place on their iPhone, they may not see the pre-selection.
You can change your mind on the plane and make a different selection
If you change flights, the request is canceled and not transferred to the new flight

Initially offered on select departure from LAX (in Aug 2019) and then IAD
Some x-DEN flights started to appear in Jan 2020

Sample email
Hi there,

We're happy to offer a variety of meals that you can preorder for flight UA XXXX on YYYY ZZZZ from AAA to BBB. Visit our meal selection page at united.com/preordermeals to choose your meal preference* from our menu of available options.

You can select your meal preference starting five days before your departure and up to 24 hours before your flight(s). If you don't want to choose a meal right now, you can let us know what you'd like to eat when you're on board.

Thank you for flying with us.

*After you select your entree, we'll do our best to reserve it for your flight(s). We try to serve you the meal you chose, but we can't guarantee it since availability of meal options may change. If you choose a meal and then decide that you'd like something different, we're happy to offer other meal options on board.

Print Wikipost

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2020, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Somehow I find the choices even more disappointing when I have days to think about them in advance.

On the cheese plate topic, one of the options BOS-ORD yesterday morning was a cheese and fruit plate. Not bad (there is a little rose of prosciutto, for those keeping score).
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
While things may be rough for vegetarians, things continue to be horrible for the lactose intolerant or those with dairy allergies. UA insists on putting cheese on everything. With special ordering, you'd think they'd open up some other options for common intolerances/diet restrictions.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Selecting inflight meal?

Ok, I know there are many other more important things going on these days - so dont hate me - but life needs to go on

I have a LAX-DEN flight tomorrow and was asked if I wanted to select my in-flight snack.
I have tried this several time (and on similar other flights since this new feature got release) - but have never gotten it to work... I always get some form of error?

anyone getting this to work?

-m

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2020 at 11:54 am Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mfirst
Ok, I know there are many other more important things going on these days - so dont hate me - but life needs to go on

I have a LAX-DEN flight tomorrow and was asked if I wanted to select my in-flight snack.
I have tried this several time (and on similar other flights since this new feature got release) - but have never gotten it to work... I always get some form of error?

anyone getting this to work?

-m
I selected my choice last night for an upcoming SFO-DEN flight, worked fine and got the confirmation email moments later.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA has preorder premium cabin meals, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 mile -- still no WBs?

United First U.S. Airline to Offer Economy Customers Option to Pre-Order Snacks and Beverages
New pre-order option builds on the airline's contactless payment technology and is another example of the customer experience transformation underway at United

Video(1)
Photos(2)

CHICAGO, July 28, 2021
Starting today on select flights, all United customers – no matter what cabin of service they're flying in – can use the airline's award-winning mobile app and website to pre-order meals, snacks and beverages up to five days before they're scheduled to travel. United is the first and only U.S. airline to offer economy customers the option to pre-order snacks and beverages, a reflection of the customer experience transformation underway at the airline.

United's pre-order technology is an extension of the airline's contactless payment platform that allows customers to store payment information in a digital wallet. United's pre-order option is now available on select flights departing from Chicago to Honolulu, Orange County, CA Sacramento, CA and San Diego, and will expand to all flights over 1,500 miles by early fall.

"Our new pre-order option reflects the customer experience transformation taking place at United – customers in our economy cabins will have an easy, convenient way to choose their snack or drink, and our flight attendants can move through the cabin faster, delivering more personalized service," said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer for United. "This new feature also builds on our existing contactless payment technology, which has enabled us to safely resume our inflight food and beverage program on select flights."

How It Works
  • Five days prior to departure, customers will see an option in the Reservation Details section of the United app or on United.com to pre-order food and beverage items available for their specific flight. Customers will also receive an email notifying them when pre-order is available.
  • In economy cabins, customers can pre-order snacks and beverages from United's buy-on-board menu. They will be asked to enter their credit card information but will not be charged until the items are served to them onboard.
  • In premium cabins, customers can select their meal option directly from the United app or website. Once they make their selection, they will get a receipt emailed to them.

About United's Contactless Payment Technology

For customers looking to purchase drinks and snack items while onboard, United's contactless payment platform allows them to store their payment information in a digital wallet on the United app and on United.com prior to departure.
  • Once in flight, customers can access a menu to view available items either on the United app or in Hemispheres magazine.
  • Rather than handing the flight attendant a credit card, the flight attendant will ask for the customer's name and seat to confirm the card on file.
  • Once confirmed, customers will receive their products and the card on file will be charged.
About United's Newly Enhanced Buy-On-Board Menu

United recently unveiled its refreshed buy-on-board menu, which includes a wide variety of food and beverage offerings including:
  • Adult Beverage Options: Mango White Claw; red, white and sparkling wine, and new beer options such as Breckenridge Brewery Juice Drop Hazy IPA and Michelob ULTRA.
  • Three New Snack Boxes: A Tapas snack box with European-inspired offerings; a Takeoff snack box with high-protein options; a Recline snack box with movie theater themed treats.
  • A la Carte Snack Options: Including chips, dips, trail mix and chocolate-covered dried fruit.
New Domestic Premium Cabin Menu Items

United also introduced brand-new meal offerings to customers seated in domestic premium cabins on flights over 1,500 miles and hub-to-hub flights over 800 miles.
  • The enhanced meal service includes a choice of entrees – including fresher options like egg scramble with plant-based chorizo and grilled chicken breast with orzo and lemon basil pesto – sides and dessert.
  • United has also teamed with Eli's Cheesecake to create a uniquely United chocolate pie flavor called "Pie in the Sky."
  • The meals will be served on one tray, with items individually wrapped, to limit person-to-person contact and further the safety of our employees and customers.
United's pre-order technology is available beginning July 28 for flights departing on or after August 2. The technology will initially be available on flights from Chicago O'Hare International Airport to San Diego International Airport, Sacramento International Airport, Orange County's John Wayne Airport and Honolulu's Daniel K. Inouye International Airport.

For information on snacks available, United's contactless payment technology and FAQs, visit United.com/snacktime.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2021 at 12:45 pm
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Buried in the middle
United's pre-order option is now available on select flights departing from Chicago to Honolulu, Orange County, CA Sacramento, CA and San Diego, and will expand to all flights over 1,500 miles by early fall.
Odd pilot routes
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
including fresher options like egg scramble with plant-based chorizo
Did I eat plant-based chorizo the other day without knowing it? If so, I'm impressed. It was pretty good.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
...Odd pilot routes
Does UA restrict odd pilots to certain stations?

I wonder if box and beer pre-order charges will be waived for GS/1Ks
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
So my first thought - what about upgrades? Obviously that'd usually be after the preorder window ... And let's say I preordered an economy meal or whatever, and then get upgraded.

This could get interesting
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
...let's say I preordered an economy meal or whatever, and then get upgraded....
UA is working to minimize that very scenario....
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
And let's say I preordered an economy meal or whatever
The substitute BE passenger gets a surprise and delight meal/snack from the generous upgradee in 4E

and then get upgraded
Being in 4E, you get the last "Recline" box. If you complain, you might even get the all-in-one snack bag too! It's a win-win.

Last edited by mapelle621; Jul 28, 2021 at 1:20 pm
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
So my first thought - what about upgrades? Obviously that'd usually be after the preorder window ... And let's say I preordered an economy meal or whatever, and then get upgraded.

This could get interesting
depends, I suppose.

good news is they are not charging the card fro economy per-orders until it is served. Presumably, this allows them to handle last minute upgrades without charging for the box (or whatever).

my questions:

- will there still be an option to order onboard, with the contactless payment? Or an option to refuse the pre-ordered option? Often, I dont know if Ill want something until the time, and would still like the option.
- does pre-order make the ability to go back to fresh food in Y easier? Obviously, there is still the contact handling, but if this is a step to get fresh food options back, that would be ideal
- what about late upgrades - presumably they will still offer an option for those in F not able to preorder - though what kind of choice there might be concerns me. Particularly something I pay attention to since my family is vegetarian. Most of the time in the past, weve been ok to get the veggie option (even if its the salad without the chicken put on top). But UA doesnt seem to board extras, so if 10/12 in F have pre-ordered, and now theres only 2 meals with a choice, likely less of a change to get the more specialized option youd need.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA is working to minimize that very scenario....
I'm sure they are; it's obvious enough for sure. I'm just allergic to arcane rules and "can't wait" (sarcasm) for the first "I got upgraded but didn't get the turkey grenade" thread.

Originally Posted by mapelle621
The substitute BE passenger gets a surprise and delight meal/snack from the generous upgradee in 4E
Being in 4E, you get the last "Recline" box. If you complain, you might even get the all-in-one snack bag too! It's a win-win.
I'm more worried about being stuck in 1A on an E170. Brrrrrrrr!! Keep the coffee coming and we'll be good.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
How valid is the claim first and only? You can do this on AS for a while now, at least food.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
How valid is the claim first and only? You can do this on AS for a while now, at least food.
The claim for economy is only for snacks & beverages/drinks.
Had to condensed the title due to FT title length limitations.

United is the first and only U.S. airline to offer economy customers the option to pre-order snacks and beverages,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.