Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

united.com/preordermeals
Fall 2022 -- Only rare occasion widebodies and still hit or miss on narrow bodies.

Originally Posted by bsb7140
Signature preorder is expanding starting May 1st.

SFO/LAX/IAD narrowbody flights +1500 miles and flights between hubs over 800 miles. ORD also has signature preorder on narrowbody flights over 1500 miles.
Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class -- 800 mile threshold, preorder still narrowbody only

uncomfirmed but source of earlier changes
Originally Posted by bsb7140
Beginning August 1st pre-order will expand to ALL flights over 800 miles in the premium cabin (including widebody and Intl) excluding flights from Europe.

UA is offering pre-order first class meal selection for selected domestic departures.
You receive, 4-5 days in advance, an individualized link to a selection of meals (with a caution these are not guaranteed)
generic link -- https://united.com/preordermeals
You have up until 24 hours prior to the flight to make a selection.
Note if the FA does not look in the right place on their iPhone, they may not see the pre-selection.
You can change your mind on the plane and make a different selection
If you change flights, the request is canceled and not transferred to the new flight

Initially offered on select departure from LAX (in Aug 2019) and then IAD
Some x-DEN flights started to appear in Jan 2020

Sample email
Hi there,

We're happy to offer a variety of meals that you can preorder for flight UA XXXX on YYYY ZZZZ from AAA to BBB. Visit our meal selection page at united.com/preordermeals to choose your meal preference* from our menu of available options.

You can select your meal preference starting five days before your departure and up to 24 hours before your flight(s). If you don't want to choose a meal right now, you can let us know what you'd like to eat when you're on board.

Thank you for flying with us.

*After you select your entree, we'll do our best to reserve it for your flight(s). We try to serve you the meal you chose, but we can't guarantee it since availability of meal options may change. If you choose a meal and then decide that you'd like something different, we're happy to offer other meal options on board.

Print Wikipost

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I pre-ordered for a flight from IAD-DEN but when I flew I got a blank stare from the FA who indicated she saw nothing about a pre-ordered meal. Flight was back in early December.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I pre-ordered for a flight from IAD-DEN but when I flew I got a blank stare from the FA who indicated she saw nothing about a pre-ordered meal. Flight was back in early December.
Sorry to hear, but sadly unsurprising.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by narvik
Sorry to hear, but sadly unsurprising.
Yep! I had the same exact reaction. I was hopefully then came to realize...oh wait...this is United
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Finally get the chance to pre-order a meal from IAD and keep getting an error message after I select my meal "Were unable to display trip information at this time."
Wash...rinse...repeat - same error different flight, finally had the bright idea to try in Chrome instead of Firefox but now get "We cant reserve this meal for you, but other meal options may be available on board and are subject to availability." next to the choice i prefer
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
Got an email offering preorder on my DEN-SFO flight. The choices were the usual soba noodle salad or tandoori chicken. Ill find out later today if my selection took. Didnt know DEN was part of the program.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
I took the TOD offer to upgrade DEN-CLE tomorrow and was shocked to get an email a couple hours later offering meal preorder. Unfortunately it's inside 24 hours of departure, so when I click through to the meal preorder site, the message is "Meal selection is not available"
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:42 pm

I have the option to preorder one of the below meals for an upcoming flight from DEN-IAH:
Arugula salad; with bell pepper, cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese, served with grilled chicken
Buffalo macaroni and cheese; served with grilled chicken
I am vegetarian so I imagine I can order either then just ask for the chicken to not be served by the flight attendant, right? I am bit surprised that only two options are available for preorder and no vegetarian options.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by splicer100
I have the option to preorder one of the below meals for an upcoming flight from DEN-IAH:
Arugula salad; with bell pepper, cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese, served with grilled chicken
I am vegetarian so I imagine I can order either then just ask for the chicken to not be served by the flight attendant, right? I am bit surprised that only two options are available for preorder and no vegetarian options.
IF you don't eat the chicken, either is gonna be a very small amount of food. If you ask the flight attendant to bring you a tapas box or other box from the rear of the plane, they are likely to hook you up.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by splicer100
It's nice to see they're slowly expanding the pre-order to other airports, beyond LAX and IAD.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mh3265a
My last two flights that offered the pre-order were greeted with the same response from the FA. They both told me theyd do their best to accommodate my first choice.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. I hope they start rolling out more options as they work out the issues with this trial.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Forgot to post two weeks ago -- I pre-ordered tandoori chicken on DEN-LGA in response to an email, and as it turned out, so did my seatmate. FA came around to ask which meal choice we'd like. Both of us noted that we had pre-ordered, and the FA's response was "oh? Would be nice of them to tell us about that. I'll make sure you get your choice." We were 1K and GS so likely wouldn't have been a problem anyway on that route, but points to a shockingly slightly less than perfect rollout...
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA GS
I had the pre order offer for 3 of my last 4 flights out of Denver.
always dinner
1st Time, pre ordered and blank stare later
2nd time, pre ordered and blank stare later
3rd time, no email offer
4th time, preordered and approached by FA, Mr. XXX I see you preordered the buffalo Mac and cheese is that still your choice? Reading it off the iPhone.
My conclusion, the technology is there but like most of the time, the majority of FAs can’t be bothered.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
4th time, preordered and approached by FA, Mr. XXX I see you preordered the buffalo Mac and cheese is that still your choice? Reading it off the iPhone.
My conclusion, the technology is there but like most of the time, the majority of FAs cant be bothered.
THIS! Id be willing to bet the other two times the FAs were using the manifest and not their iPhone. Ive seen very few FAs using IPhones for managing meal orders, which seems really dumb. It keeps track of how many are left, who gets priority, etc, seems like way less work than writing stuff down.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K

ORD to ORD? I guess the flight is long enough for meal service.

Btw the choices are buffalo mac and arugula salad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.