Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Incorrect/Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Posted 14 March 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your comments regarding our display of MileagePlus earning information.

We are aware that there are some rare instances, where international surcharge is being excluding from the display of award miles and PQD when viewing your upcoming reservation on United.com. We expect to have the earnings display corrected shortly. Please rest assured that the final earnings reflected in your Account summary once you have flown will include the surcharge.

-UA Insider
NOTE: The overwhelming consensus is that preflight PQD/PQM/RDM information on an itinerary is frequently wrong for inexplicable reasons, but it being wrong on the itinerary has no bearing on whether correct PQD/PQM/RDM will post to your MP account after flying a segment. So don't worry if things look wrong pre-flight; it is only necessary to contact MP if post-flight posting is incorrect.

Archive thread: Incorrect/Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Incorrect/Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You got that backwards.
Did not identify which was which because had already noted
but think the OP now understands the situation
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA does not fly this route and clearly has a database error
Interesting. If there actually is an error for the coded flight distance on YVR-DEL, then the automatic credit will honor it. (For example, I received 664 PQM for KSA-KWA, despite the fact that it is 401mi. The 664 is actually PNI-KWA.)

No guarantees that the flight credit will pull from the same database though.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I just bought what evidently was a BULK ticket on Expedia, as that's what shows up on the ua.com "receipt" site. Booked into L/T for a YVR-ORD non-stop round-trip, very simple. It says I'll earn 7938 award miles for this... which seems REALLY high. the YVR-ORD-YVR trip clocks in at 3528miles and that's also the PQM I'm scheduled to get. But shouldn't I be only receiving 3528*0.5*1.5 = 2646 award miles as a UA Gold on this ticket? 7938 is exactly 2.25x distance of YVR-ORD-YVR... I mean I'll take it but just curious for what's going on here.

And the ticket was DEFINITELY cheaper than the 1000USD I would've had to spend to get this many award miles on an 8x dollar basis.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 9, 2018 at 4:55 pm Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I just bought what evidently was a BULK ticket on Expedia, as that's what shows up on the ua.com "receipt" site. Booked into L/T for a YVR-ORD non-stop round-trip, very simple. It says I'll earn 7938 award miles for this... which seems REALLY high. the YVR-ORD-YVR trip clocks in at 3528miles and that's also the PQM I'm scheduled to get. But shouldn't I be only receiving 3528*0.5*1.5 = 2646 award miles as a UA Gold on this ticket? 7938 is exactly 2.25x distance of YVR-ORD-YVR... I mean I'll take it but just curious for what's going on here.

And the ticket was DEFINITELY cheaper than the 1000USD I would've had to spend to get this many award miles on an 8x dollar basis.
The pre-flight mileage calculations are often wrong. As you suggest, T and L both earn at 50% of mileage flown, and you should earn 3528 PQM and 2646 award miles for this flight.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jsloan
The pre-flight mileage calculations are often wrong. As you suggest, T and L both earn at 50% of mileage flown, and you should earn 3528 PQM and 2646 award miles for this flight.
Ah, they can be that much off? Okay, that makes more sense then. I won't get my hopes up. Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Ah, they can be that much off?
They can be off by up to 100%, and maybe more (though I haven't see that myself).
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Was browsing flights for SO who has a trip to Italy coming up. LH is starting a nonstop to FRA from SAN, so that makes flying to Europe easier with just one stop, yay! Looking at this tentative schedule tho, the MileagePlus earnings calculations look awful. Is this a glitch in the calculation of the UA website? According to the MileagePlus charts for United tickets (016) on LH, this S fare should earn 100% PQM, and award miles should be 5x fare for a non-status member. Ticket is $1700 RT. Maybe because the flight is new (first flight lands at SAN today).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 22, 2018 at 11:10 am Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by motoridersd
Was browsing flights for SO who has a trip to Italy coming up. LH is starting a nonstop to FRA from SAN, so that makes flying to Europe easier with just one stop, yay! Looking at this tentative schedule tho, the MileagePlus earnings calculations look awful. Is this a glitch in the calculation of the UA website? According to the MileagePlus charts for United tickets (016) on LH, this S fare should earn 100% PQM, and award miles should be 5x fare for a non-status member. Ticket is $1700 RT. Maybe because the flight is new (first flight lands at SAN today).
The numbers UA publishes prior to the flight are often completely wrong -- especially, as you suggest, for new flights. If you look at the breakdown on the receipt, you'll probably find that SAN-FRA is listed as "ineligible." It's not. Everything should post properly when it's actually flown. There's a board thread on this with quite a few similar examples, including UA-operated flights too.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by jsloan
The numbers UA publishes prior to the flight are often completely wrong -- especially, as you suggest, for new flights. If you look at the breakdown on the receipt, you'll probably find that SAN-FRA is listed as "ineligible." It's not. Everything should post properly when it's actually flown. There's a board thread on this with quite a few similar examples, including UA-operated flights too.
Thanks! I figured it must have been a glitch. I've seen it myself even on UA metal and everything has ended up posting properly.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus (Gold), Avis
Upgraded (K to R) - No mileage credit?

Hey everyone,

Gold member, and was upgraded (CPU) from K into R, leg from ORD to SEA.
Now my receipt states that my R-leg was "inelibible to accrue mileage" (stated on my receipt). I have a screenshot, but can't post it (account < 5 posts).

I don't particularly care for the award miles (although they would have been nice), the PQM is a bigger issue. My travel plans this year total ~51.000 miles, so the loss of 1700 has a significant effect.
Fare is booked through a travel agent, and was K-class originally. I paid approx ~$525 for Amsterdam -> Seattle (return).

Anybody any idea what happened here? I think that I should get K-class credit, not 'none'.

Thanks!

Last edited by lrpvo; Mar 24, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
You should get K class credit as it will actually be credited as ZK. Never had this not post the correct mileage.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The system UA uses is unable to reliably provide accurate pre-flight mileage earning information. This is a limitation they inherited from the same system at PMCO, which had the same problem.

This limitation has been extensively discussed in this long running multi-year thread.

For actual earnings, refer to the Mileage Plus earnings information on united.com for your operating carrier.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus (Gold), Avis
Originally Posted by Tblack15
You should get K class credit as it will actually be credited as ZK. Never had this not post the correct mileage.
After submitting a web form request, got ZK class credit posted. Super weird. Now hoping the same thing doesn't happen on the return leg (also CPU, K -> R).
Old May 10, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Mileage on Bulk Ticket

I just booked a bulk business class ticket to Europe and when I look on united it is showing me the following for the flight: (for context I am a 1k)
FRA-SFO
BIS: 5,699
PQM: 11,398
RDM: 28,496
Is this correct? When I look on https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/bonuses.html it says 1k gets a 100% bonus, but I thought that was of the "base miles" i.e. physical distance. So my expectation was the P class ticket would get Base 100% + Fare class bonus of 50% + 1k bonus 100% for a total of 250% of base miles, but this is showing 500% flown miles. Is this just .bomb acting up?
Old May 10, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The pre-flight earnings information on the itinerary is not reliable, and has not been dating back to when the same system was used at PMCO.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...nerary-19.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.