Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Incorrect/Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Posted 14 March 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your comments regarding our display of MileagePlus earning information.

We are aware that there are some rare instances, where international surcharge is being excluding from the display of award miles and PQD when viewing your upcoming reservation on United.com. We expect to have the earnings display corrected shortly. Please rest assured that the final earnings reflected in your Account summary once you have flown will include the surcharge.

-UA Insider
NOTE: The overwhelming consensus is that preflight PQD/PQM/RDM information on an itinerary is frequently wrong for inexplicable reasons, but it being wrong on the itinerary has no bearing on whether correct PQD/PQM/RDM will post to your MP account after flying a segment. So don't worry if things look wrong pre-flight; it is only necessary to contact MP if post-flight posting is incorrect.

Archive thread: Incorrect/Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Incorrect/Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K: since 2010
Calculating PQMs with United, Lufthansa & Ethiopian

I've just purchased a "016" ticket on the UA website for travel in early September. I'm trying to maximize earning PQM during this trip in order to keep on track to renew my 1K status. I've purchase business class "Z" for the outbound and "Q" class (upgraded to business using GPUs) for the return flights. However, the PQM numbers that United provides as part of the ticketing process don't correspond (I hope) with what I will actually earn. Based on what I've read about earning PQM when flying with Lufthansa and Ethiopian, below is what I'm calculating as the PQM miles that I will earn from this travel. Can someone please help me confirm (or correct) these calculations?
Thanks, FRANK

Itinerary Nbr Carrier Class Dist. Bonus? Total PQM
ABQ-LAX UA5822 Skywest Z 675 200% 1,350
LAX-FRA UA8900 Lufthansa Z 5790 200% 11,580
FRA-ADD UA7214 Ethiopian Z 3320 100% 3,320
ADD-FRA UA9317 Lufthansa Q 3320 100% 3,320
FRA-IAD UA988 United Q 4070 100% 4,070
IAD-CHO UA4710 TransState Q 78 500/seg 500
Total 24,140
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Your calculation looks correct to me
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K: since 2010
Originally Posted by cfischer
Your calculation looks correct to me
Thanks!
FRANK
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Baertracks
However, the PQM numbers that United provides as part of the ticketing process don't correspond (I hope) with what I will actually earn.
Very common UA IT error.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:54 pm

How does a $2196 fare net only $696 PQD?

7/26 HKG-SFO Q fare. How does a $2196 fare net a 1K only $696 PQD?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Is this completed flight and what was posted to your account or the error-prone PQD estimate given when you book a flight? Post the actual fare, fee and tax details.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Is this completed flight and what was posted to your account or the error-prone PQD estimate given when you book a flight? Post the actual fare, fee and tax details.
Looking to book a flight, so it must be the error-prone estimate. Guess I'll have to call.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
yes.. estimate given is frequently wrong thanks to UA's amazing IT systems.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
And some times, they credit more than the total amount of the ticket...
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fgirard
And some times, they credit more than the total amount of the ticket...
This was true in the early stage of PQD era. It is not true anymore. UA is very stingy with PQM, too, after IRROPs. You still get the PQM associated with the original booking class, not 1.5 x distance of Y booking class.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:21 pm

Wonderful! Thanks for the tip.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Looking to book a flight, so it must be the error-prone estimate. Guess I'll have to call.
Also note that if you are looking at a ticket, individual segment prices are often misleading on more complicated itineraries. Compare only the total itinerary cost and PQD amount. PQDs will always be at least ~80% of the total price except in extraordinary cases, so it's probably a display bug.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Kmxu
This was true in the early stage of PQD era. It is not true anymore. UA is very stingy with PQM, too, after IRROPs. You still get the PQM associated with the original booking class, not 1.5 x distance of Y booking class.
Yeah, they have been getting quite stingy, as my last YVR-SFO only netted me a whopping $2 over what .bomb was estimating...but I'll take every bit that helps.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Don't bother. Calculate yourself (base fare plus airline fees / international surcharge) or use 85-90% as a rough estimate for an international Q fare on all UA operated flights.

The reservation / pre-flgiht earning info is regularly messed upped. Posted numbers are much better.

Originally Posted by fgirard
Yeah, they have been getting quite stingy, as my last YVR-SFO only netted me a whopping $2 over what .bomb was estimating...but I'll take every bit that helps.
Rounding -- PQDs for each segment round up. Many times leads to a few $ then total trip PQDs.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:30 am

Thanks to all of you for the input. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.