Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by michaelworchid
I don't know about COPA, but it surely doesn't hurt to ask. Same for United. Show them your future bookings, maybe it could work.

I've found in my previous experiences that shooting a mail is the best way to deal with these issues. Those representatives are often nicer to deal with (well, for me at least).

Good luck!
Eek! But what about my E+ seats? Would *S give me complimentary E+ too?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:41 am
RNE

Originally Posted by joseeantonior
Yes, but only at checkin.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Yes, but only at checkin.
I might not be following the question clearly but *S alone does not get you E+ on UA (unless you find a very nice agent). Only status on UA will get you access to E+ and yes as a silver you will get it at check-in.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by BrianCUnited
I might not be following the question clearly but *S alone does not get you E+ on UA (unless you find a very nice agent). Only status on UA will get you access to E+ and yes as a silver you will get it at check-in.
Indeed, that was my question. The biggest flaw I find in my plan on getting *S is that I'd be missing my precious E+ seats. I don't think I can clear CPUs, I wouldn't even be a Premier but a *S.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your answers! I'll just keep aiming for my Premier Silver, for what I fly seems like a great deal.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Anyways, thanks a lot for your answers! I'll just keep aiming for my Premier Silver, for what I fly seems like a great deal.
I see that you're Marriott Gold. Are you close to reaching Platinum? Because then you'd receive complimentary United Silver status.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I see that you're Marriott Gold. Are you close to reaching Platinum? Because then you'd receive complimentary United Silver status.
Not at all. It's actually Marriott -lite Gold.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Upgrade DEN-PIT 😮

I don't think I've ever had a decent upgrade in or out of PIT ever, even as Gold. Perhaps arriving in PIT at 1am has something to do with it.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by horse glasses
Upgrade DEN-PIT 😮

I don't think I've ever had a decent upgrade in or out of PIT ever, even as Gold. Perhaps arriving in PIT at 1am has something to do with it.
Or 2:42 am, as is delayed for tonight. Guessing the higher elites may have opted for alternatives?

Congrats
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:28 am

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Ewr-Las Vegas
Lowly silver upgraded on a 5 hr flight. Lay flat seats. Dreams do come true! Thanks Smisek.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Royal17
Ewr-Las Vegas
Lowly silver upgraded on a 5 hr flight. Lay flat seats. Dreams do come true! Thanks Smisek.
I'm jealous!

I tried to upgrade LAX-BOS this week (on one of the ps planes) with miles when there were still 6 seats available (but no R space) and got waitlisted. Ended up 2nd on the upgrade list instead of the usual 11th.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
Or 2:42 am, as is delayed for tonight. Guessing the higher elites may have opted for alternatives?

Congrats
It's showing on time for me, I'm guessing you meant last night? I hope

Also, I frequently get upgraded LAS-EWR (or reverse) for some reason, but never a lay flat! Is that new?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: CX SL

Also, I frequently get upgraded LAS-EWR (or reverse) for some reason, but never a lay flat! Is that new?
I did a search on EWR-LAS. The aircrafts on this route are 753s and 738/739s. They are not supposed to be lie-flat.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by michaelworchid
Quote:

they swapped in the plane the day before. I saw that and switched from the 12:30 flight to 8:30 hoping to get the upgrade.

I did a search on EWR-LAS. The aircrafts on this route are 753s and 738/739s. They are not supposed to be lie-flat.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
On May 15 of this year I was on the 12:15pm LAS-EWR flight. I purchased it in February in A class and it was scheduled on a 757-300. So I check in the day before and noticed a lengthy upgrade list for the elites and only 2 open seats in F. Then later in the evening out of the blue the equipment changed to a 767 (2-1-2 lie flat seating) and more than 10 people cleared on the upgrade list who would not of otherwise had a chance.

So it is not the norm but it does seem to happen from time to time in the LAS market.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by G702TT
On May 15 of this year I was on the 12:15pm LAS-EWR flight. I purchased it in February in A class and it was scheduled on a 757-300. So I check in the day before and noticed a lengthy upgrade list for the elites and only 2 open seats in F. Then later in the evening out of the blue the equipment changed to a 767 (2-1-2 lie flat seating) and more than 10 people cleared on the upgrade list who would not of otherwise had a chance.

So it is not the norm but it does seem to happen from time to time in the LAS market.
That would certainly be a dream come true!

My DEN-PIT flight had an equipment swap and didn't get in til 2:30am. Most cramped bulkhead ever, I might've had more leg room in E+, haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.