Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by flyinjer
Is it normal for the Pass Plus sales and/or customer service department to be so bad with returning calls/emails? I've tried a dozen times to reach them with no answer.

I'd really like to confirm what the invested funds can be used for. Upthread it is mentioned that it can be used for anything from United and/or partners. Does that include things like: reservation taxes, inflight wifi, baggage fees, award accelerator, inflight food and drinks, upgrade fees, flight change fees, Hertz rentals, Marriot Properties, etc...?
I am fairly certain that the funds are only usable for base fare and related taxes and fees. I have not attempted to use the debit card on the ancillary items you have asked about.

Not all partners are included.

I have never had to wait more than 24 hours for a return phone call or email. On the few occasions that I tried to reack PassPlus, I was contacted within a few hours.
Originally Posted by porciuscato

Here's one really important point: you can't take money out of the account at the end of the year. If you extend to the next year it gets carried overs. HOWEVER, if you choose not to continue, any balance is LOST.

This is a bigger deal than it sounds like because you cannot mix payment forms (e.g. use Passplus for part of the ticket and your credit card for the other). The only exception is that you can apply an ETC. But even so, it can damn hard to make the balance come out near 0 at the end.
You can also use your travel bank as partial payment. I actually took down my end of proram year balance to $0.14 with this form of partial pay

Last edited by LAXOGG; Oct 27, 2015 at 11:10 am
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
No idea what your last comment about -- that would be a crazy low cost for int'l F "unlimited"...
I don't know if $75k is the right number... maybe it's a $100k, but I think it's somewhere around there. How many people have a current spend over $75k... they are the only ones UA would lose money on. Pax with a current spend of under $75 who opted for the program would be positive. (The marginal cost of extra flights in seats that would otherwise go to non-revs or TOD UGers is minimal).

It might be crazy low cost, but if it gets pax who are currently spending $50k or $0k then it's a win for UA.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

Last edited by porciuscato; Dec 3, 2015 at 2:36 pm
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:03 pm

In my experience, YES. I finally had to call the manager to get the sales rep to return my call....
Nevermind, was contacted this afternoon. I have the agent doing some research for me on ancillary spend usage the investment. I'll report back with her findings.

Last edited by FlyHighInTheSky; Oct 27, 2015 at 7:13 pm
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:55 pm

More info available!

United Pass Plus Flex

All information is current as of October 30th, 2015.

The United Pass Plus Flex program is a prepaid travel program that offers discounts on purchased tickets from United and a variety of partners and certain Premiere benefits upfront.

Find out more about the program here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...plus/flex.aspx

Watch a video about the program here:

Contact the Pass Plus Team:

Phone:
1 (877) 357 - 4515
- Option 1 for Customer Service
- Option 2 for Sales (then 2 for West Coast, 3 for Midwest, or 4 for Chicago and East-coast)

Email:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Note: Email is highly unreliable. I reccommend leaving a voicemail with your regional sales manager and they will call you back within 2-3 business days.

Online Form:
Fill this out and they will contact you: https://hub.united.com/en-us/Connect....aspx?mobile=0

Account Types and Stipulations

The United Pass Plus Flex program comes in 2 varieties: Individual and Coorporate. The Individual accounts have a minimum investment of $25,000 and the coorporate accounts have a minimum of $50,000. These funds are put into a UATP (Universal Air Travel Plan - http://www.uatp.com/) Account and you are given a debit card (just the credentials, no actual card) to be used for purchasing United and Partner Tickets (plus many other things, outlined below). These funds are to be used over the course of 1 year from when the contract is signed.

• Individuals are allowed 1 additional deposit into their account throughout the 1 year contract without a fee, and coorporate accounts are allowed up to three. Any additional deposits are charged a 5% fee.
  • The use of the funds can be extended without renewing the contract for up to 2 additional months for a fee of $600.
  • Contracts can be renewed for the following year starting in month 10 of current contract.
  • Any remaining funds in your account will carry over into the next year, but will have no bearing on the following years contract benefits (discussed below).
  • If funds remain in your account at the end of the contract and you decide to not renew, United is entitled to whatever remains in your account.
  • All travel purchased with your funds must be completed before 30 days after your end-of-contract date.
  • Invidual plans are meant for a single person (the account holder). Travel purchased for additional people or someone besides the account holder is reason for contract termination. Accounts are audited frequently to ensure this is not happening.

Discount Levels

These can be seen in a better format here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...plus/flex.aspx

Domestic - Excluding IAH
  • Fares F, J, Y - 20% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 5% off published fares
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares

Domestic - Including IAH
  • Fares F, J, Y - 10% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 5% off published fares
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares

International - Excluding Latin Destinations
  • Fares F, J, Y - 20% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 20% off published fares (excluding U)
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 20% (G) and 2% (D & Z) off published fares

International - Including Latin Destinations
  • Fares F, J, Y - 10% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 10% off published fares (excluding U)
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares (D and Z only)

Note: All published fares from United and it's partners (even outside below listed partners) are eligble to be purchased with UATP travel funds.

Investment Levels

Individual Plans
  • Minimum $25,000 - Complimentary Premiere Gold
  • $35,000 - Complimentary Premiere Platinum
  • $45,000 - Complimentary Premiere 1K
  • $50,000 - Complimentary Global Services

Note: All Premiere levels will be granted as soon as the contract is signed and the funds are verified.

Note: All Premiere levels receive their associated amenities (RPU, GPU, etc...) if and only if the status is an upgrade from previous Premiere status. For example, a current Premiere 1K that invests $45,000 will not receive additional RPU/GPU's. However a Premiere Gold that invests $45,000 will recieve the upgrade certs.

Coorporate Plans
  • Minimum $50,000 - 1x Premiere Gold, 1x Premiere Silver, 4x United Club Annual Memberships
  • $100,000 - 1x Premiere Platinum, 2x Premiere Gold, 3x United Club Annual Memberships
  • $300,000 - 1x Premiere 1K, 1x Premiere Platinum, 3 Premiere Gold, 6x United Club Annual Memberships

Additional levels receive different numbers of Premiere members. Contact your sales manager for more information on these levels.

Funding Your Investment

The following payment methods are able to be used to fund the initial investment:
  • Bank Transfer to United
  • Check via Fed-Ex
  • Check via Snail Mail
  • Credit Card - Coming mid-to-end of November, 2015

Fund Usage

The funds that are invested in your UATP account can be used for the following purchases:
  • Airfare + taxes on the following airlines:
    - United
    - United Express
    - ANA (All Nippon Airlines)
    - Austrian Airlines
    - Brussels Airlines
    - Lufthansa
    - Swiss International Airline
  • Wifi onboard the aircraft
  • ANY ancillary purchases from United, including the following:
    - Baggage fees (if done via online check-in)
    - Change fees
    - Upgrade fees (including mileage + copay)
    - Award and premiere accelerator purchases
    - TOD purchases
    - Any subscriptions services (United.com Club, Baggage subscription, Economy Plus subscription, etc...)
    - Purchases of reedemable miles
    - Anything from United not requiring a physical payment method

Note: When purchasing anything with your UATP funds, you may not split payment. You must be able to fully fund the purchase using your UATP account or else another payment method should be used.

• There are some reports that travel vouchers and your Travel Bank funds can be used as a partial payment in combination with the UATP account.

Other Information

• Discount on Hertz rentals available for Pass Plus members. Funds from UATP account cannot be used for rentals.
  • Booking of tickets can be done via United.com, through the Pass Plus reservations office, or through your travel agent. Booking through the Mobile app is not yet possible.

Last edited by FlyHighInTheSky; Oct 30, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:15 pm

I got all the above info over the last few days talking to two of the three sales managers for several hours.

To me, this program is pretty much a no brainer at the $50k level. Guaranteed GS status and you don't even have to fly only on United. Plus, all the ancillary purchases are included! This part makes it an easy choice.

The guy I spoke with today told me that credit cards will be accepted as payment starting middle of next month (November, 2015), so no more restrictions on added RDM accruals.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
It says that with an individual plan, you can only use the funds to purchase tickets for yourself. Any idea if this excludes purchasing tickets for you and your spouse to travel together on a single PNR? And what about purchasing a ticket for your spouse for an itinerary that they are going to travel without you?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
It says that with an individual plan, you can only use the funds to purchase tickets for yourself. Any idea if this excludes purchasing tickets for you and your spouse to travel together on a single PNR? And what about purchasing a ticket for your spouse for an itinerary that they are going to travel without you?
Nope, only travel for yourself, unfortunately. You can purchase for multiple people using the corporate accounts, but not the individual.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:50 pm

Also note that a PassPlus flex account funded after July 1st entirles the purchaser to the entitled status for the remainder of the year and the entire following year.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:22 am

Maybe I'm missing something but this program seems to make a lot more sense than spending $50-60K flying all year and then waiting to see if you spent enough to merit an "invitation" to GS. I'm assuming that once credit cards are accepted, payment on a UA Chase card will earn the relevant card miles?

Last edited by JetAway; Oct 31, 2015 at 8:53 am Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:14 am

There are disadvantages too. You can't book tickets with legs on TK or AC for example.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
There are disadvantages too. You can't book tickets with legs on TK or AC for example.
I would consider not being able to fly AC as an advantage.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I believe you can, but the published discounts don't apply.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by flyinjer
I believe you can, but the published discounts don't apply.
You can, but you can't. The same applies for buying tickets for companions. You may actually be able to purchase the ticket, but you will get a big penalty if/when you do:

United may deduct from Customer’s UATP balance, collect by way of an invoice issued to Customer, or collect by way of a debit memo issued to the travel agency that issued the applicable ticket:
1) $200 fee plus any other costs United or participating carriers incur due to instances where
a. the UATP Account is used to purchase a ticket not compliant with paragraph 2. Valid Carrier Combinations and Routings above, unless endorsed by United as the result of irregular operations, or
b. a ticket is issued in violation of any applicable tariff rules or fare restrictions fare, or
c. a ticket is issued by a travel management company other than the authorized ticketing agency, or
d. The UATP Account is used to purchase intra-international stand-alone itineraries which include the participating carriers but do not also include anninternational segment originating in the U.S., or
2) A $100 fee plus any other costs United or participating carriers incur due to Customer using any other form of payment besides the authorized UATP Account.
IOW, they give you some rope to hang yourself with if you want.

I think I should mention some of the other disadvantages/concerns:

* If you get seriously sick (or die) near the start of your contract, you and your heirs stand to lose $50K.

* Booking to some Asian and European destinations (e.g. Bangkok) can be very difficult because the booking engine insists on routings that use ineligible carriers (e.g. Asiana)

* You can't use it to book point-to-point travel outside of the U.S. (see 1.d above)

Last edited by porciuscato; Oct 31, 2015 at 4:00 pm
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:44 am

United may deduct from Customer’s UATP balance, collect by way of an invoice issued to Customer, or collect by way of a debit memo issued to the travel agency that issued the applicable ticket:
1) $200 fee plus any other costs United or participating carriers incur due to instances where
a. the UATP Account is used to purchase a ticket not compliant with paragraph 2. Valid Carrier Combinations and Routings above, unless endorsed by United as the result of irregular operations, or
b. a ticket is issued in violation of any applicable tariff rules or fare restrictions fare, or
c. a ticket is issued by a travel management company other than the authorized ticketing agency, or
d. The UATP Account is used to purchase intra-international stand-alone itineraries which include the participating carriers but do not also include anninternational segment originating in the U.S., or
2) A $100 fee plus any other costs United or participating carriers incur due to Customer using any other form of payment besides the authorized UATP Account.
I'm looking through the contract they sent me and I can't find this. Where is this stated?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.