Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Loyal to Myself

Link here.

This tends to confirm what we've seen here. Economy will book in M rather than Y.

No full pricing chart, but some examples. It's hard to tell if these are real or placeholders. We'll have to wait and see.

If you follow the breadcrumbs at the top of the page to the origin, it looks like the minimum deposit may increase to $25k. I don't have time at this moment to assess the sampleafres offered. Maybe someone else does? I use my contract almost 100% LAX-JFK.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Over at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17974336-post44.html I tried to compare the sample zone-fare prices against what was previously charged on the same routes. Among their examples, the prices are never more than $1 cheaper and generally more expensive; IAH-EWR seems to be a pathological case.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
PassPlus: Renewing or not?

My company has had a PassPlus contract for the past several years. We got the notice about the changes - all negative for us- a few months ago and have decided not to renew. Interested in any other PassPlus decision makers who have seen the recent changes and made a decision about renewing or not.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:31 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I don't see why anyone would have signed up in the first place. I looked carefully at this, but decided not to join because it did not seem offer any significant benefits and would have increased my cost of travel. The idea is a good one, but the execution is very poor.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It depends. Pass Plus Secure just got "enhanced", we will see what happens to pass plus flex and exec. So i would watch this space.

Based on the new enhancements to pass plus secure, you are better to go out on the open market to buy tickets--the price has been jacked up and the benefits and fare availability reduced
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG plat ambassador
I do not see Flex or Exec on the website any more. Are they doing away with that?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by dodger 1k
I do not see Flex or Exec on the website any more. Are they doing away with that?
I have been told that in addition to secure they will be offering one other program that provides sliding scale discounts. Not sure what it is called.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG plat ambassador
Originally Posted by Beerman92
I have been told that in addition to secure they will be offering one other program that provides sliding scale discounts. Not sure what it is called.
Thanks for the info. Have they eliminated the 50% RDM bonus and the United Club memberships? I do not see those either. I had been considering this, but looks like they gutted the program.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by dodger 1k
Thanks for the info. Have they eliminated the 50% RDM bonus and the United Club memberships? I do not see those either. I had been considering this, but looks like they gutted the program.
I know they eliminated the RDM bonus. I don't believe they have eliminated the club memberships (that's pretty much the only thing they didn't "enhance" lol)
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:05 pm
mab

Programs: UA GS 2Million, Marriott PP & LTPP, Amtrak Select Exec
PassPlus 50% bonus?

I have a 2011 PassPlus Secure contract that expires at the end of April. That program awarded an extra 50% RDM on top of all other mileage bonuses, which generally posted on the first Monday after a flight is credited. But since the system integration last month, I've not seen the bonus on any of my segments.

I know that the new (and largely useless) PP program won't include the 50% bonus, but the bonus is one of the benefits in all contracts signed last year.

Are other PassPlus members getting the bonus miles credited since the system migration? Is it just me?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I don't know why they don't have a decent and realistic PassPlus program. They sure could get a lot of extra money out of me.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:15 am
mapoptic

no bonus for me either. I've flown multiple YPASP1 flights since 3/3 and they have credited as Y, sans RDM bonus.

I've been advised by the nice MileagePlus CS people in Rapid City that this bonus mile issue is on a very long list of issues known to post-integration UA with the MileagePlus program. no ETA on a fix. I was further told that there are other promotions similarly affected. (you will recall that the 50% bonus used to credit one day after each flight as a bonus with the description "50% PassPlus Bonus Miles")

another MP CS agent told me she doubted there would ever be a systemic fix. She advised me to keep good records and write a forceful letter after the contract expired asking for a manual adjustment for the missing miles.

since I'm now forced to keep a spreadsheet of trips anyway -- since I no longer trust UA on mileage with all the issues post 3/3 -- this isn't too heavy an additional lift.

Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Loyal to Myself
Here's my letter back to PassPlus:

I received their solicitation for a new contract a couple of weeks ago. Here's my response:

Joel,

Thank you for your note.

While I may consider renewing PassPlus at or after my expiration date, I have to tell you that in my continuous 19 years of flying at the 1K level, I have never been more disappointed in United than I have in recent months. If I were making the decision today, which I do not need to do, the answer would be a resounding no.

In fact, I have moved 100% of my flying away from United, for two reasons. One is the airline's inability to meet the most minimal standards of basic customer service since the system integration. The other is the elimination of most major benefits of status, to the point that it is clear United has a new model for valuing loyalty. The result is that my spending in the last four weeks alone on American, Delta, and Virgin America approaches $10k. I have not set foot on a United flight. Needless to say, your new $25k annual renewal level is not the source of my issues.

On a purely PassPlus level, United has gutted the program by very significantly increasing fares and removing last seat availability in Y. In C and F, you have simply misaligned pricing. In the old model, leaving a large deposit with you made good business sense, because I could always get a seat, fares were manageable, and because I preferred to fly United in any case. Now none of those are the case.

At this moment in time, the totality of changes United has made clearly signals that the airline has revalued loyalty, and thus so have I. If the airline amends it's approach, I will reconsider.

I apologize for the nature of this note, but it's important to clearly communicate how completely United's decisions have recast the nature of our business relationship.

Best Regards,

Brian
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:15 pm
mapoptic

Originally Posted by Beerman92
It's a relaunched Flex program. Discounts are similar to, but lower than, before. Details on the pricing here.

On the plus side, unlike Secure, the new Flex program offers discounts off published fares and the ability to book Y -- albeit it at high cost -- along with MileagePlus status (which I don't need -- no word on whether one can gift the status or convert to SWUs as in the past) and a United Club membership.

On the negative side, buy-in is $25K, no credit cards can be used to fund, no 50% RDM bonus, and no ability to book on the Web site until Q3 some time.

As I consider my options, I actually think Flex is a more compelling product than Secure, but that doesn't say very much.

Maybe in Q3 when the Website booking is back, and if other things at UA have settled down, I'll consider a contract. I really also wish UA would bring back the credit card funding, at least for the initial buy-in. I'd like the credit card points, and it makes the contract process easier than using an EFT.

Last edited by mapoptic; Apr 5, 2012 at 3:26 pm Reason: Edited for typo & clarity.

Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: Lots
I love that in United's new fantasyland, D fares are "highly discounted leisure fares"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.