Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Has anyone heard back from a PassPlus sales person in the past month? I've left 4 messages over the past 3 weeks for the Pacific NW sales person and haven't heard anything back.

Based on their website this could make a lot of sense for my company because we almost always book last second tickets.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by DErg
Has anyone heard back from a PassPlus sales person in the past month? I've left 4 messages over the past 3 weeks for the Pacific NW sales person and haven't heard anything back.

Based on their website this could make a lot of sense for my company because we almost always book last second tickets.
I wouldn't bother, there are very few flyers for whom this program will be beneficial regardless of how much you spend.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Pass Plus was great in the 90s

Pass plus was a wonderful bulk mileage program in the 90s. I was an early purchaser of a 5 year 25,000 mile plan, which I was able to add to and extend a few more years. It was an incredibly cheap way to fly on Y tickets which were heavily discounted. If my memory serves me, it worked out to about .22 cents a mile. Great for flights of 1,000 miles or less, at a price well below the best corporate discounts. I was based in Chicago at the time, an ideal hub for routes of 1,000 miles or less. Obviously, coast to coast flying wasn't as good a deal under the program so you would then just buy the ticket in those instances.

My only regret was not buying an unlimited lifetime plan when it was offered. If my memory is correct, it was priced about $1M for unlimited flying for you and a travel partner, in any cabin, as long as you live. It made sense to the UA CFO at the time. It was upfront money to the airline in an environment of 5% interest rates. So, in effect, the airline was letting you fly anywhere as much as you wanted for $50K a year. Aside from shelling out $1M upfront, the big negative with the Lifetime plan was assuming credit risk. But, United honored the program through bankruptcies, etc.

You can probably guess who of the FT community bought the lifetime plan back in the early days. They paid the bucks. I'm just envious they are flying around the world in GF for free now. Heck, I'd be racking up millions of more miles if everything was free.

Guess the new management didn't want to mess with these Lifetime Pass Plus plans. Take away 2 RPU's from million milers and you have a revolt. Take away a LifeTime of free flying........well, that would have been an interesting court case!

Cheers
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkc715
.... Take away a LifeTime of free flying........well, that would have been an interesting court case! ....
as AA is now, The frequent fliers who flew too much and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...withdrawn.html
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K

This is such a pitiful story.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Thanks WineCountry. Didn't know about AA's issues with their Lifetime passes. Says fewer than 100 people ponied up. I'm surprised these passes weren't just cancelled in AA's recent bankruptcy. Do you know how the litigation was settled? I didn't see on the threads.

Any idea how many UA Lifetime PassPlus people are out there? Any abusers or litigation? How did United choose to honor "Lifetime" for PassPlus, but then interpret the word "Lifetime" different for Million Milers? I assume this distinction was incorporated in the Million Miler suit, but maybe not.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by dkc715
Pass plus was a wonderful bulk mileage program in the 90s. I was an early purchaser of a 5 year 25,000 mile plan, which I was able to add to and extend a few more years. It was an incredibly cheap way to fly on Y tickets which were heavily discounted. If my memory serves me, it worked out to about .22 cents a mile. Great for flights of 1,000 miles or less, at a price well below the best corporate discounts. I was based in Chicago at the time, an ideal hub for routes of 1,000 miles or less. Obviously, coast to coast flying wasn't as good a deal under the program so you would then just buy the ticket in those instances.

My only regret was not buying an unlimited lifetime plan when it was offered. If my memory is correct, it was priced about $1M for unlimited flying for you and a travel partner, in any cabin, as long as you live. It made sense to the UA CFO at the time. It was upfront money to the airline in an environment of 5% interest rates. So, in effect, the airline was letting you fly anywhere as much as you wanted for $50K a year. Aside from shelling out $1M upfront, the big negative with the Lifetime plan was assuming credit risk. But, United honored the program through bankruptcies, etc.

You can probably guess who of the FT community bought the lifetime plan back in the early days. They paid the bucks. I'm just envious they are flying around the world in GF for free now. Heck, I'd be racking up millions of more miles if everything was free.

Guess the new management didn't want to mess with these Lifetime Pass Plus plans. Take away 2 RPU's from million milers and you have a revolt. Take away a LifeTime of free flying........well, that would have been an interesting court case!

Cheers
Truly superb, honest post. I was a lying enthusiast of the 90's as well (still am an enthusiast) and bought the lifetime AAirpass. Still have it. I, also, kick myself that I didn't buy the lifetime Pass Plus. Coulda. I did buy multiple renewals of the program for almost 15 yrs. It was a good program. Frankly, I wish they would just copy AA and come back with the program, but doubt they will. As the OP said, even for 1 million, they had a lifetime bond getting them 50K per year---not bad for them.

The big difference between AA's AAirpass and UA's Pass Plus was the frequent flyer accumulation. AA put all the flown miles, including the companion's, into the passholder's AAdvantage account. UA did not---gave whatever miles the companion was flying into the companion's account, even though the bill was fronted by the Pass Plus holder. So, I could usually make AA's EXP by 3 rt's to London from, say, SFO, in one year. Since the points accumulated for both, it was a piece of cake to get status on the fastest of tracks.

I went with AA back in '94 because they had a hub at SJC. Since then, they pretty much abandoned it, and, frankly, most of us ff'ers in the SF Bay area. We can't get to Hawaii non-stop from here any more (on AA, but AS is building up flights and there is frequent flyer miles opportunity). It really sucks. Compare that to the air service from SFO on UA.

Anyway, the original Pass Plus program was an idyllic time of bliss that just plain came to an end. What they're marketing now is not practical and is too complex. They used to have a gal that answered their 800 number (Megan) who was just plain terrific. Knew the program cold and gave solid advice and accurate answers. Now we are left with Jeff Smisek and, frankly, I don't think he gives a damn.

G'day.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by 5khours
I wouldn't bother, there are very few flyers for whom this program will be beneficial regardless of how much you spend.
I disagree--the Flex program discounts H (and higher) fares 20%. That often makes H fares cheaper than a W fare for upgrades. Similarly, it often makes paid discounted F cheaper than C. There are many flyers that who can find tremendous benefit.

OP: my sales rep has been quite responsive and there are some interesting incentives for sales through the end of the year. PM me and I'll be happy to share his details (as I am not allowed to post them here).
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FullFare
Truly superb, honest post. I was a lying enthusiast of the 90's as well (still am an enthusiast) and bought the lifetime AAirpass. Still have it. I, also, kick myself that I didn't buy the lifetime Pass Plus. Coulda. I did buy multiple renewals of the program for almost 15 yrs. It was a good program. Frankly, I wish they would just copy AA and come back with the program, but doubt they will. As the OP said, even for 1 million, they had a lifetime bond getting them 50K per year---not bad for them.

The big difference between AA's AAirpass and UA's Pass Plus was the frequent flyer accumulation. AA put all the flown miles, including the companion's, into the passholder's AAdvantage account. UA did not---gave whatever miles the companion was flying into the companion's account, even though the bill was fronted by the Pass Plus holder. So, I could usually make AA's EXP by 3 rt's to London from, say, SFO, in one year. Since the points accumulated for both, it was a piece of cake to get status on the fastest of tracks.

I went with AA back in '94 because they had a hub at SJC. Since then, they pretty much abandoned it, and, frankly, most of us ff'ers in the SF Bay area. We can't get to Hawaii non-stop from here any more (on AA, but AS is building up flights and there is frequent flyer miles opportunity). It really sucks. Compare that to the air service from SFO on UA.

Anyway, the original Pass Plus program was an idyllic time of bliss that just plain came to an end. What they're marketing now is not practical and is too complex. They used to have a gal that answered their 800 number (Megan) who was just plain terrific. Knew the program cold and gave solid advice and accurate answers. Now we are left with Jeff Smisek and, frankly, I don't think he gives a damn.

G'day.
Wish I had gotten in on a lifetime pass back then! With the rates I pay between personal and business travel that would have paid off in the long run.

Originally Posted by Sykes
I disagree--the Flex program discounts H (and higher) fares 20%. That often makes H fares cheaper than a W fare for upgrades. Similarly, it often makes paid discounted F cheaper than C. There are many flyers that who can find tremendous benefit.

OP: my sales rep has been quite responsive and there are some interesting incentives for sales through the end of the year. PM me and I'll be happy to share his details (as I am not allowed to post them here).
Thank you, we do a lot of paid F last minute travel so it very well may make sense.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:53 am

Last time I checked the discount was only 15%. And every time I looked H was 50% more expensive than W.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:04 am

Thank you, we do a lot of paid F last minute travel so it very well may make sense.
Unless your F travel is a full "F" fare, the discount is only 5% for P (15% international) and 2% for A (0% international).
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by 5khours
Unless your F travel is a full "F" fare, the discount is only 5% for P (15% international) and 2% for A (0% international).
That's incorrect. They adjusted the discounts in 2012 and have maintained the same levels since then ... it's better than old in some cases, worse in others (I signed a client up for PassPlus about 2 weeks ago so I am very familiar with current rates). For the Flex program (not to be confused with the Secure program which is more like AA's AAirpass), the standard discounts are:

Domestic excluding to/from Houston:
F, Y, J - 20%
A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 5%
D, Z, P, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2%

Domestic to/from Houston:
Same as above, but F, J, Y are only 10%

Latin America:
F, Y, J, A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 10%

International other than Latin America:
F, Y, J, A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 20%

Some significant downgrades--e.g. P, Z, and D international fares aren't discountable--but booking H for a similar price to W or V adds a lot of flexibility ... and for a last-minute traveler H+ may be all that is available. Travel is allowed on UA, LH, LX, OS, SN, and NH and minimum spend for an individual is only $10k, so if it's money that you know for sure you're going to be spending on United anyway there isn't a whole lot of down-side now that the discounts are bookable on united.com (they weren't for a while).
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:33 pm

That's incorrect. They adjusted the discounts in 2012 and have maintained the same levels since then ... it's better than old in some cases, worse in others (I signed a client up for PassPlus about 2 weeks ago so I am very familiar with current rates). For the Flex program (not to be confused with the Secure program which is more like AA's AAirpass), the standard discounts are:

Domestic excluding to/from Houston:
F, Y, J - 20%
A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 5%
D, Z, P, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2%

Domestic to/from Houston:
Same as above, but F, J, Y are only 10%

Latin America:
F, Y, J, A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 10%

International other than Latin America:
F, Y, J, A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 20%

Some significant downgrades--e.g. P, Z, and D international fares aren't discountable--but booking H for a similar price to W or V adds a lot of flexibility ... and for a last-minute traveler H+ may be all that is available. Travel is allowed on UA, LH, LX, OS, SN, and NH and minimum spend for an individual is only $10k, so if it's money that you know for sure you're going to be spending on United anyway there isn't a whole lot of down-side now that the discounts are bookable on united.com (they weren't for a while).
Thanks. Helpful. May have to have another look.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:00 pm

Sykes,
what is your rep's name, what were the year end specials. I had pass plus for 9 years and lived thru a bunch of changes, but last time I tried Rep, couldn't get a call back
thanks
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Is it possible to sign up for PassPlus Flex as an individual without a lot of hassle? I don't want a sales pitch or marketing spin, I just want to know what I'm getting and choose something. I always have the feeling that when they don't publish the actual terms and conditions online it's because they are trying to entice people to get into a prolonged sales pitch rather than just reading an offer and saying yes or no. Even 5% discounts would be significant, and I always in recent years have spent over $25k personally on UA. Anyone care to share their own experiences as an individual or (very) small business?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.