FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer — and they’ll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2023, 4:49 pm

A datapoint, paid J, LAX-LHR 6/24, cancelled mechanical - initially three hours late taking off after mechanics took the plane for a test drive to troubleshoot, we took off but turned around over Utah and returned to LAX because problem not sorted out. Feel fortunate to get rebooked in J via SFO for following day - almost no remaining J seats transatlantic, very few Y's, all middles. Offered $500 ETC or 25,000 miles, via unitedcares, as reported by some above, so that must be the standard comp.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:35 am

I got caught up in the Northeast thunderstorms yesterday. 1K in Y BOS-EWR-EU-EU. The TATL leg had cleared to J with PP the day before.

Day of travel, BOS-EWR is canceled for weather. 1K line will not rebook on BOS-MUC because the only seat remaining is LH J. Rebook on PVD-EWR, which I can make just in time. Get to the airport and the inbound plane will be delayed to the point where it's unlikely to make the EWR-EU leg. The only other flight that night is PVD-ORD, which I decide to go with (PVD-EWR eventually gets canceled as well). A few 1K phone agents later and I'm rebooked in LH Y ORD-EU-EU.

Once in ORD, some more phone calls and an agent is willing to rebook in LH J, but no seats available. I go over to the gate of ORD-MUC and the LH gate agents say that one J seat is available. They say they can't use the UA upgrade and that I can't request a new upgrade from UA. They are able to get a special upgrade price. It's only $500, which is worth it to me at this point even if not reimbursed, so I take it.

I'm on my last leg departing from MUC now (also delayed), and both of my checked bags are still in PVD. I'll wait until next week after this trip to write in, but what should I ask for? Is it unreasonable for UA to cover the $500 upgrade on the LH TATL? Or is getting my (difficult to use) PP back all I can expect?
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:39 am

Had broken IFE on LHR to EWR. FA proactively offered miles or vouchers. Got 150 USD as a GS. Three other family members with no status got 100 USD. PN class.

return flight had the same issue. Same plane? It was a post midnight delayed departure so bo proactive offer. Should I just write GS and ask for four ETCs outright? Or is there a better approach? Should I expect more since return was paid P?
Old Jun 26, 2023, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UndercoverOscarMunoz
II'm on my last leg departing from MUC now (also delayed), and both of my checked bags are still in PVD. I'll wait until next week after this trip to write in, but what should I ask for? Is it unreasonable for UA to cover the $500 upgrade on the LH TATL? Or is getting my (difficult to use) PP back all I can expect?
…? Why would you write in? It sounds like you ran into weather issues.

LH is responsible for getting you your luggage, and if you need to buy anything to replace what’s in them due to the delay, you’ll work with them, not UA. (They can follow up with UA behind the scenes if it’s actually UA’s fault).

Originally Posted by PlungeTEX
Should I expect more since return was paid P?
J is J. I don’t understand the implicit assumption that you deserved to be treated worse on the way out because you’d upgraded.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
…? Why would you write in? It sounds like you ran into weather issues.

LH is responsible for getting you your luggage, and if you need to buy anything to replace what’s in them due to the delay, you’ll work with them, not UA. (They can follow up with UA behind the scenes if it’s actually UA’s fault).
Yes, it was weather issues. I'm not expecting compensation for the delay. I'm curious what the process is for protecting upgrades through IRROPS for 1Ks. Given that I had cleared Y-J and was then rebooked to Y, surely I would at the very least have my plus points refunded (which has not happened automatically). The cash upgrade on LH isn't UA's responsibility to cover, but the upgrade should require only plus points or cash, and not both.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UndercoverOscarMunoz
Yes, it was weather issues. I'm not expecting compensation for the delay. I'm curious what the process is for protecting upgrades through IRROPS for 1Ks. Given that I had cleared Y-J and was then rebooked to Y, surely I would at the very least have my plus points refunded (which has not happened automatically). The cash upgrade on LH isn't UA's responsibility to cover, but the upgrade should require only plus points or cash, and not both.
You'll get your PlusPoints back. It should happen automatically, but they often have issues with that.

UA would have re-accommodated you in J on a UA-operated flight. On a partner flight, YMMV, as you found.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 1:19 am

HKG-NRT-EWR which turned into
HKG-SFO-BWI (not going to rewrite all the delays and cancelations in between)
Plat traveling in J. (Upgrade but that doesn't matter) offered $400 ETC via unitedcares.

Can passenger take an Uber back to NY from BWI and expect UA to cover cost? Ist running about $500-700 now.
Next flight out is 1030am and I expect it to be cancelled as well.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I’m 1K but luckily never been stranded overnight before.
Went to Omaha for the College World Series.
That ended last night and I along with thousands of other LSU fans want to get home.
Just received a text that my early AM flight later today from OMA to IAH in paid first was cancelled due to “a crew related scheduling disruption.” UA rebooked me on the same flight 24 hours later. Looks like an early AM flight from OMA to DEN was also just canceled due to expected severe weather near DEN so UA has lots of stranded pax here. I’d really like to get home today but it appears that there’s absolutely nothing available to get me out of OMA except standby.

What is reasonable compensation for a 24 hour delay? Does it matter that my cancellation was due to crew scheduling as opposed to weather? Should I expect a hotel room?Meal vouchers? Any kind of FFC or miles?

Flight was purchased with a Quest card and I know that has trip delay coverage but unsure how much I should expect from UA before falling back to the credit card.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by tx_wiingman
What is reasonable compensation for a 24 hour delay? Does it matter that my cancellation was due to crew scheduling as opposed to weather? Should I expect a hotel room?Meal vouchers? Any kind of FFC or miles?
I am perplexed. Why would United compensate you for bad weather, and the crew scheduling effects from bad weather? What's the logic there?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rch4u
I am perplexed. Why would United compensate you for bad weather, and the crew scheduling effects from bad weather? What's the logic there?
There was no bad weather anywhere near me nor my destination. The crew scheduling issues could have been due to anything. I know there was some rough weather on the east coast yesterday but it was relatively isolated and shouldn’t affect travel from the Midwest to Texas.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by tx_wiingman
There was no bad weather anywhere near me nor my destination. The crew scheduling issues could have been due to anything. I know there was some rough weather on the east coast yesterday but it was relatively isolated and shouldn’t affect travel from the Midwest to Texas.
LOL. "Relatively isolated". Thousands of flights were cancelled yesterday and UA has two of their biggest hubs on the east coast (EWR and IAD). Crew disruptions are happening all over the country, regardless of whether that city was hit with bad weather or not.

United owes you nothing because this is truly a weather related delay. They may throw miles your way for complaining but 1K voice is going to be super backed up dealing with all the similar people in your situation just trying to get home...of which 98% of them will just let it roll off their back and chalk it up to a weather-related travel disruption.

-RM
jsloan, SPN Lifer and rch4u like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
HSV to DEN last week was supposed to be a "serviced" flight (breakfast) but because of plane shuffling our aircraft was not catered. FA gave me an $150 ETC (not real money I know but...) but an electronic voucher (issued before boarding) would probably have been the better solution for all.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
Can passenger take an Uber back to NY from BWI and expect UA to cover cost? Ist running about $500-700 now.
I certainly wouldn’t have that expectation, no. You might get them to reimburse for a train ticket. A $700 Uber fare, I don’t think so.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 12:04 pm

Was on UA2268 on Sat June 24. Was scheduled to depart IAD for MCO at 5:08 and we actually made it out at 6:17. About 30 mins into the flight they diverted us BACK to IAD. Pilot made no announcement but crew announced we were returning for “cargo”. The FC stew told me (1B) that they had left a wheelchair behind and had to go back to get it. We both agreed “this never happens”. Once they found a gate we sat until 11:18 PM - from ~ 7:30 — 11:18pm.

During that time the pilots timed out; both the airport ops director and manager made appearances to the cockpit; the airport safety director and manager did the same; several United non-crew people made a few short announcements and that was it. It took them about 2 hours to find another pilot and almost 3.5 to have a captain show up so we had a full crew. About 3 hours into the wait the guy whose wheelchair they left behind and his companions we taken off the plane as he needed some medical care unrelated to the flight. There would have been no way they could have just “loaned” this guy a wheelchair when we got to MCO — it was apparent it was a special motorized wheelchair that he needed.

Don’t even know who to contact for compensation and none of the non-crew United team that boarded who made very brief announcements (we’ll have you on your way very soon!) and then left — offered any. BTW I was flying a full first ticket. Not an upgrade.

I tried the web form and got no where for a bunch of the reasons already mentioned on this thread. For years I was GS but with covid, other non-flying etc. I’m no longer.

Any tips on how I can either call or something to start the process? This was definitely not weather or other typical issue related — this was an error on UA’s part. After flying UA internationally for close to 40 years I’ve never had this happen — they just divert back to “pick something up”.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CT99
Was on UA2268 on Sat June 24. Was scheduled to depart IAD for MCO at 5:08 and we actually made it out at 6:17. About 30 mins into the flight they diverted us BACK to IAD. Pilot made no announcement but crew announced we were returning for “cargo”. The FC stew told me (1B) that they had left a wheelchair behind and had to go back to get it. We both agreed “this never happens”. Once they found a gate we sat until 11:18 PM - from ~ 7:30 — 11:18pm.

During that time the pilots timed out; both the airport ops director and manager made appearances to the cockpit; the airport safety director and manager did the same; several United non-crew people made a few short announcements and that was it. It took them about 2 hours to find another pilot and almost 3.5 to have a captain show up so we had a full crew. About 3 hours into the wait the guy whose wheelchair they left behind and his companions we taken off the plane as he needed some medical care unrelated to the flight. There would have been no way they could have just “loaned” this guy a wheelchair when we got to MCO — it was apparent it was a special motorized wheelchair that he needed.

Don’t even know who to contact for compensation and none of the non-crew United team that boarded who made very brief announcements (we’ll have you on your way very soon!) and then left — offered any. BTW I was flying a full first ticket. Not an upgrade.

I tried the web form and got no where for a bunch of the reasons already mentioned on this thread. For years I was GS but with covid, other non-flying etc. I’m no longer.

Any tips on how I can either call or something to start the process? This was definitely not weather or other typical issue related — this was an error on UA’s part. After flying UA internationally for close to 40 years I’ve never had this happen — they just divert back to “pick something up”.

Many thanks in advance.
You can write customer care on the website - I would expect nothing and be delighted if they give you anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.