FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer and theyll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Old Sep 28, 2023, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
You should get reimbursement for MSY lodging and food.

Were other MSY to IAH flights also delayed that long?
MSY is my home so I just drove back home. No other MSY to IAH were delayed but the next flight would not have made it in time for any IAH to NRT/HND flight.

Originally Posted by jsloan
The primary downside of purchasing Premium Plus is that it's such a small cabin that it's often sold out of the day of travel. (That said, did you check?)

I checked as best I could with a phone while talking to agent on the phone. Found a flight for ORD to TYO that would get me there same day, but no united flights to ORD that would make it. Agent said they couldn't book competitor airlines to make that connection. So I accepted my fate lol. I checked again later that day to find out there was an ANA flight SFO to TYO that wouldn't have got me the same day, but earlier than the flight given to me. I would have made my appointment if I had known about it. Not sure why the agent did not offer it to me. She even offered the ANA IAH to HND flight that was next day so it being ANA wasn't an issue. Both in Premium cabin btw
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 1, 2023 at 12:17 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 28, 2023, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ranmasama
I checked as best I could with a phone while talking to agent on the phone. Found a flight for ORD to TYO that would get me there same day, but no united flights to ORD that would make it. Agent said they couldn't book competitor airlines to make that connection.
That's unfortunate. For a technical issue, they absolutely can put you on AA. They don't seem to like to do it, but they can. (If the flight was Spirit, though, you were out of luck).

So I accepted my fate lol. I checked again later that day to find out there was an ANA flight SFO to TYO that wouldn't have got me the same day, but earlier than the flight given to me. I would have made my appointment if I had known about it. Not sure why the agent did not offer it to me. She even offered the ANA IAH to HND flight that was next day so it being ANA wasn't an issue. Both in Premium cabin btw
Yes, UA and ANA (NH) have a joint venture to several TPAC destinations, including Tokyo. Putting you on an NH flight should have been a no-brainer. I wonder if perhaps there wasn't space earlier, and it had opened up by the time you checked again?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 9:14 am

That's unfortunate. For a technical issue, they absolutely can put you on AA. They don't seem to like to do it, but they can. (If the flight was Spirit, though, you were out of luck).

Yes, UA and ANA (NH) have a joint venture to several TPAC destinations, including Tokyo. Putting you on an NH flight should have been a no-brainer. I wonder if perhaps there wasn't space earlier, and it had opened up by the time you checked again?
That is very upsetting to me. Knowing that the agent could have helped in this situation in mutliple ways, and still didn't. I spent over an hour with the agent asking for AA or Southwest even to make that ORD to TYO flight. Would have saved the trip. 250 bucks for my trouble. At least I got there I guess.
I think the agent really didn't look hard enough. I had to suggest checking specific ANA flights for her. It's possible the SFO was full at first but I have a feeling it had space the whole way.

Thanks for the help jsloan!
Old Sep 28, 2023, 9:37 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Was on UA261 (MAD-IAD) a couple of weeks ago. Inbound aircraft from EWR went tech and a new aircraft was found that also had a technical delay.

Upon check-in, the ground staff at MAD proactively handed out food vouchers and UA-issued EU compensation guides. We left three hours late, but made up time and only arrived at the gate 2h20m behind schedule, forty minutes below the EU guidelines.

Played dumb and wrote in any way requesting compensation...surprisingly received a $250 ETC.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is very upsetting to me. Knowing that the agent could have helped in this situation in mutliple ways, and still didn't. I spent over an hour with the agent asking for AA or Southwest even to make that ORD to TYO flight. Would have saved the trip. 250 bucks for my trouble. At least I got there I guess.
I think the agent really didn't look hard enough. I had to suggest checking specific ANA flights for her. It's possible the SFO was full at first but I have a feeling it had space the whole way.

Thanks for the help jsloan!
Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you.

Southwest would not have been an option either -- I omitted them because I assumed they'd only fly to MDW anyway. Basically, the major carriers have agreements in place to allow them to reticket passengers on each others' flights. The low-cost carriers, such as Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, Southwest, et al., do not have these agreements. So, UA would have to pay market rate to get a ticket on one of those carriers, and they generally will not.

As for the agent not looking hard enough -- that's common, unfortunately. I always suggest that people look up their preferred flights and ask for them. "Hey, I see a seat via SFO..." It's a lot easier for the agent to accept what you're asking for than it is to look for something on their own.

One final note: even after you had agreed to fly the next day, that wasn't final -- if you saw the SFO routing in time, you could have been moved onto it at no charge.

Hope your next trip is less stressful.
SPN Lifer and ranmasama like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
UA 2244 (GEG-DEN) delayed 7.5h due to crew scheduling. I get it things happen. Automatic comp email was for $50 ETCs for 3 Silver and $100 for 2 1Ks. Seems pretty meager to me, especially when I see above broken WiFi and DTV for a 3 hour flight was given a $250 ETC. We had already dropped off the rental car, checked out of the house we rented and sat in the airport to wait out the delay. Had the delay text come in 20 minutes earlier, we'd have gone back to bed. I've not claimed their offer and thinking of writing 1Kvoice.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:19 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you.

Southwest would not have been an option either -- I omitted them because I assumed they'd only fly to MDW anyway. Basically, the major carriers have agreements in place to allow them to reticket passengers on each others' flights. The low-cost carriers, such as Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, Southwest, et al., do not have these agreements. So, UA would have to pay market rate to get a ticket on one of those carriers, and they generally will not.

As for the agent not looking hard enough -- that's common, unfortunately. I always suggest that people look up their preferred flights and ask for them. "Hey, I see a seat via SFO..." It's a lot easier for the agent to accept what you're asking for than it is to look for something on their own.

One final note: even after you had agreed to fly the next day, that wasn't final -- if you saw the SFO routing in time, you could have been moved onto it at no charge.

Hope your next trip is less stressful.
I'm just wondering why she wouldn't do the AA flight then. I felt like it was something allowed but she just wouldn't. Gave her all the info with flight numbers of that flight and the japan flight.

The SFO flight I found that out after I was back home and the MSY-SFO was flying out in 30 minutes. Too late.

Next time I'll have way more options of flights and hang up if the agent is giving me a hard time.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just wondering why she wouldn't do the AA flight then. I felt like it was something allowed but she just wouldn't. Gave her all the info with flight numbers of that flight and the japan flight.
You're correct. Unfortunately, sometimes when an agent makes up a rule, it's impossible to change their mind. If you had time, a phone agent could conceivably have helped. You could also try a different UA agent -- perhaps even someone at the ticket counter instead of the gate.

None of this should be necessary, mind you -- just offering strategies to get around the intransigence of some customer service agents to actually provide customer service.

At MSY, if you have United Club access, that can be another way to find an agent who might be in a better mood.

Next time I'll have way more options of flights and hang up if the agent is giving me a hard time.
Yes, if calling on the phone, I always recommend to have your option(s) ready to go, and if you get an unhelpful agent, politely hang up and call again. I mention "politely" not to suggest that you wouldn't be, but because agents are required to annotate each call in your record, and if an agent puts in "asked for XYZ, refused" then other agents will often follow suit. So whenever I get an adverse response from an agent, I always try not to give them any extra motivation to torpedo my record.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
$100 ETC for delayed bags. And not even that delayed. I just wanted to write in to let them know that the Priority bags were the LAST to come out on my last 2 flights (IAD and LAX), and that I had to wait over an hour at Dulles last time.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 4:28 am

compensation for delayed flight causing missed connection to CDG

Experts. What (if any compensation should I get / would I possibly get). Flight from RDU to IAD to CDG. Flight from rdu delayed 3 hours so missed connection. It was last flight that night and based on continuing delays most people figured flight wasnt going to go out so rebooked on the next day rdu to iad to Cdg. The other option was to wait and hope we got to IAD that night, spend the night (they offered a hotel voucher), and then got on the next days IAD to CDG flight. Considering it was now 1030pm - I figured it was highly likely the crew could time out (they actually removed them from the plane) - so we just booked a flight the next day, Anyway the flight did end up going out over 3 hours late and we would have missed the connection.

There was my 74 year old mom, 4 year old daughter, and wife. Flight was delayed due to a broken overhead bin. Which is obviously annoying. It got to the point where they just took the bin out then asked if they could fly, One controller said yes, one said now, and they had to call in a third tie breaker. As of 2 hours later there still wasn't an answer. The gate agent was unbelievably nice and did what she could - I think she felt sorry for us and we were nice vs the typical few other who were just rude.. My mom was on a different conf number and based on seat availability, had to have a 11 hour layover in IAD. There was only 3 sears on the later flight RDU to IAD and wit ha four year old, I wanted to get as much sleep as possible that night - we mom went early and we joined 5 hours later, We had a very nice gate agent - she gave my mom first class for the rdu to iad segment. We got $130 on lunch vouchers as well. We did lose our economy plus seats (got refunded the $129 we paid to upgrade one as I am silver). I am out a night in Paris and had to pay the money for a typical Paris apartment and my Eiffel Tower tickets. Any likelihood i get any sort of good will offer? I know they dont owe me anything but curious big any chance for anything?

edit- in less than 24 hours- United wrote back and gave us $600 worth of vouchers ($150 per person) which is slightly more than 10% per ticket. I think that seemed fair.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 7:35 am

19h delay - Compensation

Hell All,
My in-laws had a nice delay travelling from South America over the weekend.
19 hours!
They were fortunate to have a place to stay and did not have to go too crazy.
A United rep has reached out offering to cover any incurred expenses for the night. They have requested for them to send over receipts.
They did not spend much just a small dinner and lunch which is really nothing.
They are not looking to submit these receipts but rather request for compensation in United Miles.
Can anyone advise as to what should they ask for?
Old Oct 11, 2023, 8:16 am

They should ask United to cover their expenses (which they all ready offered).

You might get a couple thousand miles if the delay was not due to weather if you ask.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 8:39 am

see my post about a similiar issue - I was given $600 voucher ($150 per person x 4 persons) plus about $130 food vouchers, I would have gotten a hotel room, but like in your situation, I just went home to my house for the night.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't know that it actually matters in this case, but it's worth stating the actual country rather than "South America". Various countries around the world have different rules around compensation in the case of delays. I'm not familiar with the rules for any South American countries, or which if any have such rules, but it's possible there is legal compensation due based on the country they were flying out of.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
$100 ETC for delayed bags. And not even that delayed. I just wanted to write in to let them know that the Priority bags were the LAST to come out on my last 2 flights (IAD and LAX), and that I had to wait over an hour at Dulles last time.
wow- I would have never thought of writing that- at CDG they the priority bag compartment was stuck shut and it took 45 minutes to open and was last, I should let them know :-)
Say Vandelay likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.